Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

How does VZ fare in overall reliability?

too jazzy

Reaction score
Members Ride
N/A
just copied my old post
extaxi alloytech series 2 ly7 engine
so far 612xxx kms on it
orginal engine going strong but for how long i dont know
gearbox had to replaced 30000kms ago, none of the trans guys were interested into looking at the problem it had, would rev to 3.5k before changing gears from 1-2
diff is whining a bit at the moment
cv joints went at 300k
been through one power steering rack
fuel injectors are gone, whole petrol system is pretty bad atm, our fault really didnt use it on petrol for over a yr, also when theirs less than half a tank of petrol, the fuel tank starts to suck it self in and crumble up lol, release the fuel filler cap and air just pops out going back to normal
radiator would bust at around every 100k
battery was a bit bs every 6 months, was unusual cause normally they run 9 months
gone through 1 alternator and 1 starter motor
gone through a couple of engine mounts
Also should add gone through 2.5 sets of coils, trust me never use that after market tridon rubbish, the car really hated it from the get go, plugs done every 120k with laser platinum, sometimes was done with standard delco product from holden, but only got 40000 out of it before giving trouble.
best of all was lucky never had the stretched timing chain or the blinker relay issue most had
overall just minor issues, been a tow truck just twice, so its severed us very well

jwaye2

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SVZ, LN167 Turbo Hilux, VSII Ute
Ive had mine since 8000ks with full service history. I drove it till 48,000ks before I aquaplaned into a tree in the original car and the body was damaged beyond repair but luckily no damage to running gear. Ive since brought another VZ and transferred EVERYTHING to the new body (engine, trans, tailshaft, diff, interior, looms etc) and am now at just under 60,000ks. Ive serviced every 5,000ks and always well looked after. The only issue ive ever had was a fuel pump failure which was caused by the car sitting with almost no fuel for a few months other than that no other issues and I couldnt be happier with it.