Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

how much to tune a ssv manual?

Ian Johnston

Reaction score
Members Ride
2015 Subaru Forester, XR6 turbo ute.
I agree with what AirStrike says re going to a few shops, and asking questions. Seems like you have plenty of options in the west side. And, dont get wrapped up in dyno numbers, its more to do with how it drives for you.
Keep us informed how it goes.

6LWAGON

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV SPORTWAGON
I can't believe wazza's car with his mods can make 356 rwhp untuned.
What I believe is it's been maf tuned to this number and he's paid an extra grand to go maf less to gain an extra 18 horses.
Please correct me if I'm wrong.

AirStrike

Reaction score
Members Ride
91' VN SS
That I could believe.

tyrefryer

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodores!
Theres A LOT more to tuning than the 18hp shift in the peak power @ 6200rpm under WOT load.
Thats 1 of 10000000...... conditions the car will run under

Having said that, a motor wont POP from headers, cats and an otr.
A factory tune has so many safety nets in it...

WazzaV8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Redline
I can't believe wazza's car with his mods can make 356 rwhp untuned.
What I believe is it's been maf tuned to this number and he's paid an extra grand to go maf less to gain an extra 18 horses.
Please correct me if I'm wrong.

No, never had a tune until the MAFless, why is it hard to believe, they are around 290 stock, headers/cats add around 15% and oTR around 20rwhp. Yes, go ask around, plenty of shops will want your $1000 so they will give you good unbiased advice.MY ADVICE is get your full exhaust, OTR retaining MAF, drive around for 6 months before deciding on a tune just to see of you really need it and then you will know if you just pissed a grand up against the wall (or donated to the tuners super fund)

6LWAGON

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV SPORTWAGON
No, never had a tune until the MAFless, why is it hard to believe, they are around 290 stock, headers/cats add around 15% and oTR around 20rwhp. Yes, go ask around, plenty of shops will want your $1000 so they will give you good unbiased advice.MY ADVICE is get your full exhaust, OTR retaining MAF, drive around for 6 months before deciding on a tune just to see of you really need it and then you will know if you just pissed a grand up against the wall (or donated to the tuners super fund)

So Eddie is full of it what he wrote above your dyno sheet on his FB page?

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...1576433493.294875.249403893492&type=1&theater

AirStrike

Reaction score
Members Ride
91' VN SS
kelso-burn.jpg

WazzaV8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Redline
What did he write, that the Mafless tune gained 18rwhp? Isn't that what I've said all along?
Unless your referring to the quote MAF tune to Mafless, yes all commodores come out with a factory MAF tune, I've never had one since Actives and I bought the car NEW.

Don't take dumb advice off dumb people.

Last edited:

Slick6

Reaction score
Website
www.perthfilms.com
Members Ride
Phantom SSV
People don't usually refer to the stock tune as a MAF tune.

Regardless of whether your figures are accurate, if you have spent the money on extractors, cats, OTR and exhaust you might as well make it run efficiently as you can otherwise why waste the couple of grand for the parts.

Yeah you will get gains out of the increased intake and exhaust flow but the stock parameters around the MAF wouldn't know what to do with the extra intake flow and similarly the o2 sensors in the exhaust wouldn't know how to handle the outgoing without being tuned to deal with it.

Do it once do it properly.