Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[General] HOW TO: Wire up spot lights (VX, VY, VZ and possibly other models)

Bombsky

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN dmg90,VZ ute,DRZ400e
Spot On

Good work chief, this setup works spot on. I spent ages trying to find the power wire as i have fitted lights on other occasions without drama. After spending an hour or so and starting to get the s**ts finding multiple power wires, i figured i better give www a look. Cheers.

Malooman7

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vu storm ute
https://forums.justcommodores.com.au/threads/how-to-wire-up-spot-lights-vx-vy-vz-and-possibly-other-models.134483

hey guys new to this site i would just like to say than to sixes for his knowledge how ever i would like to stat if this is wired into hi-beam thats fine for spots how ever it is illegal to have fogs set up the same way as they are for weathers i.e. fogy conditions and its always appropriate to have hi-beam in fogy conditions and if any cop tells u otherwise they are wrong dew to nation wide regulations set by save driving and road management authorities so i would just like to ask how one would wire to parkers so that when I'm driving fogy conditions i can have fogs on with out having to shoot myself in the foot buy having hi-beam in creating a wall of white hence making the fogs good work useless cheers sorry for ranting lol

chrispy89

Reaction score
Members Ride
05 6sp Manual VZ ute
hey guys new to this site i would just like to say than to sixes for his knowledge how ever i would like to stat if this is wired into hi-beam thats fine for spots how ever it is illegal to have fogs set up the same way as they are for weathers i.e. fogy conditions and its always appropriate to have hi-beam in fogy conditions and if any cop tells u otherwise they are wrong dew to nation wide regulations set by save driving and road management authorities so i would just like to ask how one would wire to parkers so that when I'm driving fogy conditions i can have fogs on with out having to shoot myself in the foot buy having hi-beam in creating a wall of white hence making the fogs good work useless cheers sorry for ranting lol

do the same thing but use the parker wire as the trigger wire instead of the high beams, that way the spots have there swich and the foggies have a different one

kyalkk

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
vt s pac
top how to :) worked perfect an is nice and neat rep given

tjmcs

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore S
Hey sixes, I have been trying to wire lights to my VZ Adventra for months and I came across your diagram last night. followed it today and it works... thanks!!!!!

nitemares

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 VZ White Crewman ute.
I have bought a set of ROO LITE 145XP driving lights to put on a nudge bar on the front of my VZ Crewman. Now, I have opened the kit and it comes with a complete wiring loom that does not fit into the diagram at the start of this thread.

Once installed I get, what I see is the norm, from other threads.....the driving lights stay on unless I turn the inside the car switch off.....they do not come on and off with Hi and Lo beam.

The ROO LITE relay is a tiny thing with a sealed plug that clicks into place. This connector has various earth wires and then one white and one black wire that goes to each light. As in two white and two black wires.

I have found the headlight connector block at the front next to the drivers side headlight. I have found that the dark brown wire is the switch wire for the HI Beam.....have used the scotch lock to connect a wire for the in cab switch to this wire. The other wire for the switch comes direct from the battery (+ terminal.)

I have no idea what to do now to get my lights to work up and down with Hi Lo Beam. Any ideas? Don't really want to spend the money to go to an auto electrician just to find switching for spotties.

sixes

UTEPILOT
Reaction score
Website
www.utepilot.com
Members Ride
VY SS II M6 Ute
Hi,

Sounds like the relay that comes with the kit is wired up in the conventional way. An easy solution is to buy a new 4 pin relay and put it into the wiring that came with your lights. From your description, something is not right and needs to be wired up differently from the purchased loom.

Let me know how you go

nitemares

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 VZ White Crewman ute.
Hi,

Sounds like the relay that comes with the kit is wired up in the conventional way. An easy solution is to buy a new 4 pin relay and put it into the wiring that came with your lights. From your description, something is not right and needs to be wired up differently from the purchased loom.

Let me know how you go

Yes it is wired in with the relay that came with it. It is a little black box with a tag sticking out for a screw/bolt to hold it to the bodywork. Not the way I remember the great big blocks that were the relays I fitted in the past.

Yes I have used the original wiring and wired it as it came. I am wondering what wires to cut and where to solder/join them.

As I said in the post.....the relay has one white and one black wire that goes to each driving light. The relay then has a wire that goes to power and a number that all join together on an earth. There is also a switch wire that goes to power and the brown wire on the headlight plug at the rear of the right front headlight.

My issue is to cut what to join to what. There are no marked pins....and my read of your diagram....it creates a loop that ends in earth. Whereas I have two separate power feeds, with one to each individual headlight.

sixes

UTEPILOT
Reaction score
Website
www.utepilot.com
Members Ride
VY SS II M6 Ute
May be easier to cut out the original relay and get a new one. Its hard to tell how it is wired up as I have not seen the kit.

The two wires coming out of your current kit can be had the same way with a 5 pin type relay. 2 pins are designated power outputs and will work the same as the 4 pin relay in my pic (pin 87)