Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Hud

Anthony121

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline MY17 & VF Director
Yeah BAitch, they actually put the HUD & satnav into the 2016 black editions and then made these features on SV6 and above models standard from then on. I find HUD priceless through roadworks & in the suburbs with changing speed limits ..do realise tho that the little speed limit sign displayed in the HUD may not be the true current limit. However the fact that you can see a speed limit sign on the side of the road & check your HUD speed without eyes off the road (particularly in unfamiliar areas), I find it very reassuring from a safety point of view.
For features that were only standard on CalaisV & Redlines when VF was launched, it took less than 4years to filter down to SV6 & SS.

Well not many of the Holden range have this now. Only Calais V and VXR have this. I must say I like the new HUD but it is pretty scarce on new cars. Holden's HUD is a lot better than that one used in the Mazda range with a small plastic shield above the dash. WTF is that about? I first had the HUD in my Calais V in 2013. I have it in my redline but I miss it when I drive other cars. Its amazing what you get used to like a digital speedo.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Well not many of the Holden range have this now. Only Calais V and VXR have this. I must say I like the new HUD but it is pretty scarce on new cars. Holden's HUD is a lot better than that one used in the Mazda range with a small plastic shield above the dash. WTF is that about? I first had the HUD in my Calais V in 2013. I have it in my redline but I miss it when I drive other cars. Its amazing what you get used to like a digital speedo.
I love the HUD in my MSE, simply love it. I don't look at the dash instruments much because of it.

Holdens solution uses a special windscreen where the data is projected on so what is displayed is seen as floating at the front of the car. Mazdas solution projects onto the dash shield, as ugly as some think it is, but it supposedly has the same effect. As a side note, this is how it was done on the first fighter jets, now it's integrated into the pilots rather expensive custom helmet along with its head and eye tracking features from what i've read.

Guess Holden owners may fall over at the price of their HUD special windscreen @ $725 supplied (ouch). The Mazda approach on the other hand wont cause a price cringe if the owner need to change their standard windscreen for some reason. A Mazda 6 windscreen for example is $195 supplied (both prices from autoglasswarehouse.com.au). WTF is that about :p Mind you i prefer the Holden solution, just not the windscreen's price ;)

Holden17

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY16 SV6 ute/MY17 LMF SS wagon
I love the HUD in my MSE, simply love it. I don't look at the dash instruments much because of it.

Holdens solution uses a special windscreen where the data is projected on so what is displayed is seen as floating at the front of the car. Mazdas solution projects onto the dash shield, as ugly as some think it is, but it supposedly has the same effect. As a side note, this is how it was done on the first fighter jets, now it's integrated into the pilots rather expensive custom helmet along with its head and eye tracking features from what i've read.

Guess Holden owners may fall over at the price of their HUD special windscreen @ $725 supplied (ouch). The Mazda approach on the other hand wont cause a price cringe if the owner need to change their standard windscreen for some reason. A Mazda 6 windscreen for example is $195 supplied (both prices from autoglasswarehouse.com.au). WTF is that about :p Mind you i prefer the Holden solution, just not the windscreen's price ;)
I’ll risk the price of the windscreen thank you very much. The only other HUD I’ve seen in recent times is one on an ad, for a Mitsubishi SUV model I think?...I burst out laughing when I saw it on tv....some dickie little piece of plastic sitting just forward of the steering wheel. Looks like the cheapest little add on you would ever buy from Supercheap expecting it to break off within the first 12months.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
@Holden17 as I said, I love my HUD and also prefer Holden’s solution. Just don’t like the $450 premium for what is just a different plastic laminate between the glass layers.

And I was just answering Anthony’s “WTF is that about” comment with a possible reason why Mazda designed it the way they did. Didn’t say anyone should like the Mazda solution.

Holden17

Reaction score
Members Ride
@Holden17 as I said, I love my HUD and also prefer Holden’s solution. Just don’t like the $450 premium for what is just a different plastic laminate between the glass layers.

And I was just answering Anthony’s “WTF is that about” comment with a possible reason why Mazda designed it the way they did. Didn’t say anyone should like the Mazda solution.
Yeah sorry mate, I wasn’t clear...I wasn’t having a dig at you but agreeing wholeheartedly with your sentiments.
But while we’re on the topic, I changed insurers for both our Commodores last year and was offered one free glass for each policy (I think that was the term they used)...covers any window breakage not just windscreen. I hadn’t had a free windscreen in a policy for a few years due to the extra cost, just decided to risk it. Anyway, when the woman offered the free glass as a standard feature in these policies, I knew of these extra expensive windscreens but didn’t say anything. So I have been wondering what they will say about the cost if I do have to make a claim?....I couldn’t see anything in the policies about a maximum payout for a windscreen.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
@Holden17 was just checking as we both like our Holden HUDs ;)

Your insurance company wouldn’t blink an eyelid if they provided a HUD windscreen replacement under your ‘free glass’ honeymoon policy. They know all the models, their options and the repair costs in great detail.

Next renewal, your insurance company would likely increase your premiums while reducing agreed value amount (if that’s what you have) regardless of whether you made a claim or not. It’s what insurance companies do :( so they can profit off the lazy who don’t ring around each renewal :eek:

Holden17

Reaction score
Members Ride

Your insurance company wouldn’t blink an eyelid if they provided a HUD windscreen replacement under your ‘free glass’ honeymoon policy. They know all the models, their options and the repair costs in great detail.

Next renewal, your insurance company would likely increase your premiums while reducing agreed value amount (if that’s what you have) regardless of whether you made a claim or not. It’s what insurance companies do :( so they can profit off the lazy who don’t ring around each renewal :eek:
True Skylarking, I have learnt after many years of loyalty to various corporations that sadly the world doesn’t reward that anymore. Actually just after I posted I realised it was mid 2017 (can’t believe that’s no longer ‘last year’...where does the time go!). Anyway wifey & I were executors for a deceased estate in 2017 so had to go in and have a meeting with this financial institution to sort out a few things. Very nice lady was extremely helpful and after sorting out car/house insurance on the Estate, I ran our two car insurances past her. It was then that we changed to them & got the free windscreen options. She gave me her card and said make contact when it comes to renewal...so when renewal rolled around last year I sent her an email and again she was very helpful. I’ve never had that personal contact in insurance before and is it likely to last forever?..no probably not but if it stops premiums for inexplicably sneaking up each year then I’ll make use of it while I can.

Holden17

Reaction score
Members Ride
Not sure what others think and it might be my aging eyes but HUD in the windscreen is not just about not having to drop the eyes to read the in dash speedo but it’s the speed at which the eyes can re-focus and what it does for the peripheral vision. The VF/windscreen type, although some criticise it as distracting, I find easy to ignore and look straight through, then focus on quickly when needed and just as quickly refocus on the road ahead.
Driving along, I’ve pretended the HUD is sitting on the dash, just fore of the steering wheel as seems to be the case with these other little plastic screens. I find that because my eyes would have to focus that much further back and at the same time peripheral vision seems to take in the cabin rather than the exterior environment I reckon I would find them really no different to just looking at the dash cluster..in other words more of a gimmick rather than a true safety device.

Has anyone actually used both types?...would be interested to hear your thoughts on comparison?

Anthony121

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline MY17 & VF Director

Well I mean surprised the insurance for windscreen glass is still ok and I've had the SS two years going ont the third. The Holden genuine HUD glass is more expensive and I wouldn't settle for anything less. I've seen how much done of the experimental windscreens were And thought holy ****!

Saito

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden WM Caprice
Does anyone know what Model Holden Commodore/Calais/Ute/Statseman/Caprice, you were actually able to purchase new with a HUD fitted either as Standard or as an Optional Extra at all? Also is there any way to find out about the Holden IQ System, as in which model Holden's was it also available to also have either fitted as Standard or as an Optional Extra to a new Holden... As i haven't really been able to find any information to say like what models of the Commodore range you were able to get these fitted when you purchased a new car, or what models they weren't available on.