Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

I was just wondering which is better Sony Xplod or Kicker or JL Audio.

m1lky

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
Subs sound different in open air as oposed to a sealed car though. As well as depending on the box. That works great for speakers not so much for subs.

Can you provide more info?
Do you already have an amp? If so what?
Do you have a box? Will you build it or buy it? Sealed or ported?

Crisis63

Reaction score
Members Ride
Monaro CV8R, Landcruiser 100 Series 4.7L
Here's the best advice you'll hear:
GO DOWN TO THE STORE AND LISTEN TO THE SUBS INDIVIDUALLY, WITH YOUR CHOICE OF MUSIC AND MAKE A DECISION BASED ON YOUR EARS.
while that’s fair enough you are really not able to tell how a sub will perform in the environment of a car. It’s a bit of hit and miss. Personally I tend to read reviews and choose a reputable brand. I rekon most people would struggle to tell the subjective difference in sound quality between the three mentioned at the end of the day.

StoneX

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais-V 6.0L
I'd rate the JL as being the better, and the Kicker on par with the Sony, the Kicker being the over priced it usually is.
The Kicker is actually one of the better sounding and loudest low priced ported prefab subs. I've listened to it against various brands side by side and it came out on top. There was no JL being compared though and I've always liked JL gear so that's my choice of the 3 options :)

MAG00

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S2 Calais
while that’s fair enough you are really not able to tell how a sub will perform in the environment of a car. It’s a bit of hit and miss. Personally I tend to read reviews and choose a reputable brand. I rekon most people would struggle to tell the subjective difference in sound quality between the three mentioned at the end of the day.

It's a lot more helpful than coming onto the internet and basically asking for brand preferences.

Fun_Bucket

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cruze II sri
Subs sound different in open air as oposed to a sealed car though. As well as depending on the box. That works great for speakers not so much for subs.

While you are right, you can still get some idea on the differences. You will be able to hear what the sub does and doesn't do well, get a bit of an idea on the subs power handling, which is louder, and so forth.

Of course once the sub is in the car it will no doubt sound better, but you can still compare to some extent subwoofers in large open environments.

Burger43

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden Vs Calais SeriesII & Holden VZ SS MY06 6.0L
yeah thanks for that guys, i am deffinatly leaning towards buying the dual 12" JL Audio subs,

now i just have to decide on an amp... haha HELP!:bomb:

m1lky

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
How much power (in rms) are you planning to throw at your sub(s)

Fun_Bucket

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cruze II sri
yeah thanks for that guys, i am deffinatly leaning towards buying the dual 12" JL Audio subs,

now i just have to decide on an amp... haha HELP!:bomb:

Hang on you told us to pick out of the 3, now your saying you'll run 2 of the most expensive, that's not what you said in your original post.

If you were going to spend $600 then why didn't you say so?

You haven't told us what gear you currently have, or how much your wanting to spend in total, or what you would like out of this purchase. You just keep linking us to JB HI FI which isn't doing you any favours.

Unless you provide some solid info your not going to get anywhere, let alone get a response that will actually be of benefit to you.

Burger43

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden Vs Calais SeriesII & Holden VZ SS MY06 6.0L
HCVP i never actualy mentioned that i had a amp, you presumed i did..

i dont care on price.
i dont have an amp, or a sub.
i am looking at buying a sub.
i am looking at buying a amp.

i have been sussing the subs, i have ruled out the sony xplod
i dont mind the JL Audio and the Kicker!

im leaning towards the JL Audio, i got a mate coming over tomorrow and hes got the JL Audio sub that i liked so im going sus that and see what its like.
and my other mate has the kicker sub i posted before which i quite like.