Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

vxcommy97

Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 vx commodore lumnia 3.8L v6
Hey everyone I’m going to keep this as detailed as I can

2002 vx commodore auto

I notice after a good 20 minutes of driving when I come to red lights my car the idle rpm surges with the lights dimming every 7 seconds or so

Now I had my alternator and battery tested with great volts on where they should be

I’ve replaced my spark plugs and leads
I also notice when it surges for that moment the engine shudders and the belts shake but my belts are good and on tight I’m starting to think maybe my alternator can’t handle the new speakers or my current head unit

All this and I’ve noticed a high fuel consumption but no vac leaks and my injectors are brand now so that’s got me stumped I assume they’re different problems but anyway haha

If it’s safe to get a slightly higher alternator for the car to give the c*** more electricity or could it be other things only things I haven’t checked is elec wires cause idk how to haha if I can put a slightly higher alternator what one’s would be the best to look for cheers lads!!

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S1 V6 6 speed Auto Wagon
Hey everyone I’m going to keep this as detailed as I can

2002 vx commodore auto

I notice after a good 20 minutes of driving when I come to red lights my car the idle rpm surges with the lights dimming every 7 seconds or so

Now I had my alternator and battery tested with great volts on where they should be

I’ve replaced my spark plugs and leads
I also notice when it surges for that moment the engine shudders and the belts shake but my belts are good and on tight I’m starting to think maybe my alternator can’t handle the new speakers or my current head unit

All this and I’ve noticed a high fuel consumption but no vac leaks and my injectors are brand now so that’s got me stumped I assume they’re different problems but anyway haha

If it’s safe to get a slightly higher alternator for the car to give the c*** more electricity or could it be other things only things I haven’t checked is elec wires cause idk how to haha if I can put a slightly higher alternator what one’s would be the best to look for cheers lads!!
When checking the alternator, what are you using. Multimeter or onboard engine diagnostics (mode button)? What is the reading? If you give it a rev & the voltage goes up, that usually means the regulator is cactus. Its built into the altertnator. So can be changed.

New injectors? Where did you source them? If ebay, possibly crap?

Iac (idle air controller sensor? Have you recently replaced or cleaned it? Have you cleaned the throttle body?

vxcommy97

Reaction score
Members Ride
Multimeter and the alternator looks good
And new injectors I mean they were taken out and cleaned professionally hahah sorry

I have cleaned the IAC but I’ve cleaned everything else out I might try cleaning out the iac when the car cools down
In terms of fuel consumption it could possibly be the way I drive (led foot) I may relax and not gun it to speed limits and see if that’s the issue hahah thanks for that I’ll probably replace the alternator soon anyway as it hasn’t been done for a long time the old owners was a older lady so idk if anything was done haha

vxcommy97

Reaction score
Members Ride
Multimeter and the alternator looks good
And new injectors I mean they were taken out and cleaned professionally hahah sorry

I have cleaned the IAC but I’ve cleaned everything else out I might try cleaning out the iac when the car cools down
In terms of fuel consumption it could possibly be the way I drive (led foot) I may relax and not gun it to speed limits and see if that’s the issue hahah thanks for that I’ll probably replace the alternator soon anyway as it hasn’t been done for a long time the old owners was a older lady so idk if anything was done haha
I haven’t cleaned the iac I mean

lout

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXii Executive V6 , VYii Adventra LS1
still sounds like faulty alternator/battery

vxcommy97

Reaction score
Members Ride
still sounds like faulty alternator/battery
Battery is definitely brand new but I might put new terminals on considering the OEM have paint on them I might just Chuck some brass ones on if that doesn’t fix it I’ll just put a new alternator in

lout

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXii Executive V6 , VYii Adventra LS1
best to test it when it is faulting
unless you have too much money and dont know what to do with it

Reactions: Lex