Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

if i convert my vz alloytec to a 5ltr can i get it engineered to be registered??

H

harrop.senator

If you're a second year apprentice spend the time on an lfx and six speed conversion.

300+ rwhp , capable of 7000 rpm with ease. There's a few doing 320 rwhp with an OTR , full exhaust and tune.

That's aftermarket manifold on a 304-355 hydraulic flat tappet territory.

Brand new lfx is 3200-4000 in a crate.

6 speed auto , 3+ K stall , tune, cams in an lfx with driver mod will be a 12-13 second car even in a heavy vz.

Oh and also , 5 leater in a vz is a stupid idea.

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
So you can’t even legally get a cam installed without going over the pits to prove emissions compliance.

If that day hasn't come yet, it will. As surely as electric vehicles will be the norm.
Have a look at what Britain and Euro countries are proposing. Classic cars being banned from roads, penalties for ICE operation.
Australia will follow, with money hungry State Govts scooping 'taxes' from petrol and diesel cars that will have to meet a roadworthy with emission standards included.
When will this happen ........ sooner than you think.

H

harrop.senator

So you can’t even legally get a cam installed without going over the pits to prove emissions compliance.

No you can't , can be stickered for it in WA , struggle to pass non friendly inspectors getting it re licensed. And it's about 2k to engineer a cam here.

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
By ADR/VBS/emissions standards almost every mod is non-compliant. For example, legally you're not allowed to run an ECU that can be changed by the user (ignore the fact you can do it with factory ones) unless it's running LPG. Any change to the factory tune basically makes the car non emissions compliant, even with a stock engine. Wheels and tyres, suspension, light globes, blah blah blah... just about anything you care to mention.

Engineering can get around stuff like that, but usually you have it "emissions tuned" to pass and tune it again after it's engineered as the emissions tune doesn't really lend itself to what you've done. The only reason people get away with stuff like this and it's not picked up is because it's not obvious and emissions testing isn't really a thing unless you actually want it done.

If you're a second year apprentice spend the time on an lfx and six speed conversion.
Better than the 5L, but still kinda dumb because there is so much of an electronic difference with the SIDI engines. Cut out the middle man and just get the VE/VF instead.

Last edited:

Ginger Beer

Reaction score
Members Ride
Dunnydoore
I know a guy in the Skylines world who insalled a mild camed LS1 in a R33, and had it engineered, and passed the emissions test, IN VICTORIA...... on 98

Albeit 2 years ago

It took "alot" of planning, upgrades and tuning to do it though, I believe it was 1 or 2 years in the planning and build

He employed an engineer even before starting the project and followed the engineers requirements throughout, the engineer inspected the car before, during and after the build

He then drove to the Vicroads testing joint, with some 200 cell cats fitted, and a very conservative tune, and failed the test miserably

In order for the car to "just" pass he needed 2 quality (read:expensive not ebay) euro 4 compliant cats, and lots of tuning based around only passing emissions

But this was fitting a newer engine into a older body, which is legally doable.

E85 can/may help with tuning fom emissions, from my experience it is still tricky

Me, I'm running 400's

Also, pre-cats are now a thing, even for standard cars

Meh, yes, being legal is a compromise, but peace of mind of being legal is priceless

Or street cars aren't race cars, losing a couple of killer wasps ain't a war stopper, and talking about race cars... in other news, people and shops have already been fined and/or closed down https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.ny...usiness/defeat-devices-clean-air-act.amp.html

Adapt and overcome

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
It took "alot" of planning, upgrades and tuning to do it though, I believe it was 1 or 2 years in the planning and build

He employed an engineer even before starting the project and followed the engineers requirements throughout, the engineer inspected the car before, during and after the build
This is they key. If you're really going to commit to it, talking to an engineer before you start and actually planning what you want to do while sticking to that plan is where many people fail.

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
Funny thing is though, manufacturers are doing it on the regular with diesel cars - not limited to just VW, everybody is doing it openly and legally - by attaching an air pump to the exhaust and diluting the emissions that come out., like they're not trying to hide it at all and somehow it passes.

Ginger Beer

Reaction score
Members Ride
Dunnydoore
Funny thing is though, manufacturers are doing it on the regular with diesel cars - not limited to just VW, everybody is doing it openly and legally - by attaching an air pump to the exhaust and diluting the emissions that come out., like they're not trying to hide it at all and somehow it passes.
Yeah but only for start up, like how new cars have cold start tunes which have exhaust valves open during combustion to throw fire at the cat to get them hot, it only lasts for a short time though