Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Injectors issue again

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
How do you check fuel trims? My car runs rough and each service they say they reset fuel trims. I ask each time why do you have to reset fuel trims. I would like to be able to do that myself as the car runs smooth again after being reset.
So other than resetting fuel trims, which is simply runaround of the problem and ties you to their service, they have no real solution.

I’d be wanting a permanent solution because I’ve never read in any service docs that resetting fuel trim is a planned task @ some km interval.

Daniel Souza

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 Wagon SSV Redline
I had the hole set replaced a while ago and today happened again. The car was running rough for a while with some intermittent cylinder missfire.
Last service I mentioned it and Holden said it was ok. I measured the resistance and it was in spec. That was 2 months ago.

Today first start the car went in to limp mode and got P0301 Cylinder 1 Misfire and P0201 - Injector Circuit - Cylinder 1

On the Torque app I could see misfire on Cylinder 1 and 2 . The O2 sensor was reading very lean on bank 1. The O2 Bank2 was fine as well as the wideband I have on bank2.

Measured the injectors:
#1 = 10M ohms (practically open)
#2 = 20 ohms
all the rest 14 ohms which is the spec.

Called Holden as the car is still under warranty and they would have available time just mid next week. I use the car for work and the wagon has always a full boot. I needed the car fixed today.

I got in touch with the guys at Ultra Tune Blacktown and Mark was very helpful getting the car back on the road on the same day.

The price I paid would be close to the hire car I would have to get to wait for Holden to have a look.

I am seriously thinking in getting aftermarkets one. Does the deatschwerks injectors have the same issue ? I am thinking in getting it from the VCM store.

mysfire.jpeg

misfire2.jpeg

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
@Daniel Souza, it seems like you had them fixed just the other day... so I‘d be rather angry they fitting injectors which just won’t last for the life of the vehicle...

Regardless, I’d request Holden reimburse you for the Ultra Tune bill. Again having experienced this known injector defect after supposedly corrected just isn’t correct... And having to get UT to fix it because Holden can’t get to it quick enough on a vehicle used for business is also unacceptable.

Then the elephant in the room is when will the 7 other injectors fail and which injectors (either factory or aftermarket) work in our LS3‘s and provide life of vehicle reliability? I’d then expect Holden to fit these to the vehicle as a permanent fix...

I’d also raise this with ACCC & Fair Trading as it’s a defect that requires a permanent fix, not just a fob-off to get you past the factory warranty period.

Daniel Souza

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 Wagon SSV Redline
@Daniel Souza, it seems like you had them fixed just the other day... so I‘d be rather angry they fitting injectors which just won’t last for the life of the vehicle...

Regardless, I’d request Holden reimburse you for the Ultra Tune bill. Again having experienced this known injector defect after supposedly corrected just isn’t correct... And having to get UT to fix it because Holden can’t get to it quick enough on a vehicle used for business is also unacceptable.

Then the elephant in the room is when will the 7 other injectors fail and which injectors (either factory or aftermarket) work in our LS3‘s and provide life of vehicle reliability? I’d then expect Holden to fit these to the vehicle as a permanent fix...

I’d also raise this with ACCC & Fair Trading as it’s a defect that requires a permanent fix, not just a fob-off to get you past the factory warranty period.

I want to take the bill to Holden but i am pretty sure they will refuse to pay the bill stating other shop touch the car. My options are :

1 - Take the bill to the dealer and try to get reimbursed. The problem with this option is they might refuse to do it and also refuse to fix any future issue that comes up with the other 6 injectors because other mechanic touched it.

2 - Call Holden mentioning about the issue as if I haven't fixed it and book a service , making sure they have the injectors in stock. Re-install the two bad injectors just before dropping the car off. The problem here is all the trouble of re-installing the old injectors and dropping the car off.

3 - Let it be.

What I should have done and I am regretting now is to buy a set of matched higher flow aftermarket injectors and replaced myself. I was too busy and didn't have time to research were I could buy a set on Friday afternoon. Maybe AEROFLOW ?

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
I want to take the bill to Holden but i am pretty sure they will refuse to pay the bill stating other shop touch the car.
Holden can’t deny warranty because a vehicle has been serviced by another qualified mechanic as ACCC has made rather clear. GM in the USA even have a process to reimburses owners who have fixed issues via 3rd party that are covered by recalls.

So in theory Holden should cover the bill. If they don’t, the selling dealer is on the hook for such costs since they’ve done the fix before and it’s again failed and they couldn’t get it it in a timely fashion. Heck, the selling dealer is also on yne hook for consequential damages according to ACL.

See the following Consumers' rights & obligations

What happens if these guarantees are not met?
If you sell a customer a product that fails to meet one or more of the consumer guarantees, they are entitled to a remedy – either a repair, replacement or refund and compensation for any consequential loss – depending on the circumstances.
:
:
Approaching the manufacturer directly
Consumers are entitled to approach manufacturers directly for a remedy. Consumers may take action against manufacturers to recover costs, which include an amount for reduction in the product’s value and in some cases compensation for damages or loss.

Daniel Souza

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 Wagon SSV Redline
Freaking Holden made me a cylinder misfire paranoid so i have my poor man dash with all the cylinders misfire counter on it as picture above. For the last week I have been seen a few misfires on cylinder 5 . Today it started to happen more often so i measured the resistance and it was 65 ohms .
Here we go again to Holden but this time the car is 2 months out of warranty. Lets see what they will say.

Anthony121

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline MY17 & VF Director
Freaking Holden made me a cylinder misfire paranoid so i have my poor man dash with all the cylinders misfire counter on it as picture above. For the last week I have been seen a few misfires on cylinder 5 . Today it started to happen more often so i measured the resistance and it was 65 ohms .
Here we go again to Holden but this time the car is 2 months out of warranty. Lets see what they will say.
How many KM's have you done on the second injectors? I have done about 45,000 kms on my second set and must say it start really rough. I should check the resistance again.

Daniel Souza

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 Wagon SSV Redline
How many KM's have you done on the second injectors? I have done about 45,000 kms on my second set and must say it start really rough. I should check the resistance again.

Cylinders 1 and 2 around 30k kms and now number 5 around 60k kms after the first set. The car has 115k

VCoz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 Calais SW LS3 MY16
Appears GM Australia's standard practice since they pulled the plug and choose to avoid obligations to Customer Guarantees under Australian Consumer Law - Holden also left me high and dry (only vehicle) when, after complaining early on of intermittent very rough idle, eventually my LS3 's injectors failed at around 30,000Kms. I'm currently going through QCAT process re major fault engine cold start noise which I noticed got worse after the injectors failed. My experience was Manufacturer approval delays and stonewalling repairs while under Warranty - you couldn't guess how they do that unless having experienced it first hand - I didn't think that sort of abuse of power could apply under our laws and then still be able to trade. My vehicle has just over 40K on the clock.

I didn't need to test the following but Office of Fair Trading opinion on third party repair while under Full Factory Warranty or as known 'Voluntary Warranty' or 'Express Warranty' is - 'Through research into the warranty provided by GM Australia, it is clearly stated that “labour costs for repairs to replace a failed part carried out by other than a Holden dealer or Holden Authorised Service Outlet are not covered by this Voluntary Warranty.” Additionally, this information also states that this warranty is voided by “any work carried out on the vehicle by anyone except an Authorised Holden Dealer or Authorised Service Outlet”, unless in an emergency situation.'

Good luck with Holden (name disappears end of 2021) - GM Australia and New Zealand remains but appears will trade under GMSV so assume GM thinks it gives them a clean 'forgotten' slate. Holden Customer Care are anything but - suggest you do go through ACCC as I am also. GM act as if above all our laws - I can't discuss appalling practices in detail yet but will elaborate after the QCAT matter is over (likely Feb 2022). I will never buy another GM product no matter what name they trade under - risks in Australia are too great.

Last edited: