Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Installing AFM/DOD on Manual VE SS

A-P-V

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS
I'm aware gonna cop some flack for this one. Is it actually possible to install DOD/AFM on a manual VE SS and have it work via the press of an ON/OFF switch as opposed to turning on as a response to the low load driving as it does in the Automatic models?

From my understanding in the AUTO models its simply the ECU sensing low load driving which forces oil into the specially designed lifters which then shut off 4 of the cylinders. Not understanding why you couldn't pay an auto electrician to wire in something custom to do this via the press of a button?

Please note I'm aware of the following:
- "don't drive a v8 if you don't like paying for fuel"
- I know that the DOD Lifters are crap and are prone to failing and grenading engines. so its a risk to introduce them into an LS.
- "Just buy a v6"
- I know there are other components involved that would need to be swapped across such as the solenoids from an auto model and wiring harness etc.
- I know that you are probably going to have to disengage the drivetrain when you press the button to drop from 8 to 4 cylinders as no torque convertor to make this change smooth as in the auto models.

But a genuine question as I cant find seem to find the information anywhere as no one seems to have tried this (probably for good reason). Any auto electricians able to put this one to bed?

Thanks in Advance.

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S1 V6 6 speed Auto Wagon
I'm aware gonna cop some flack for this one. Is it actually possible to install DOD/AFM on a manual VE SS and have it work via the press of an ON/OFF switch as opposed to turning on as a response to the low load driving as it does in the Automatic models?

From my understanding in the AUTO models its simply the ECU sensing low load driving which forces oil into the specially designed lifters which then shut off 4 of the cylinders. Not understanding why you couldn't pay an auto electrician to wire in something custom to do this via the press of a button?

- I know that the DOD Lifters are crap and are prone to failing and grenading engines. so its a risk to introduce them into an LS.
- "Just buy a v6"
- I know there are other components involved that would need to be swapped across such as the solenoids from an auto model and wiring harness etc.
- I know that you are probably going to have to disengage the drivetrain when you press the button to drop from 8 to 4 cylinders as no torque convertor to make this change smooth as in the auto models.

But a genuine question as I cant find seem to find the information anywhere as no one seems to have tried this (probably for good reason). Any auto electricians able to put this one to bed?

Thanks in Advance.
I copied & pasted your heading.
The result, where page 3 of camaro6 https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=437092&page=3
Maybe go to page 1 & follow the conversation?

A-P-V

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS
I copied & pasted your heading.
The result, where page 3 of camaro6 https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=437092&page=3
Maybe go to page 1 & follow the conversation?
Thanks for the link mate. based off my reading of the forum. the bloke seems to theorize that it would be possible if you got the electrical side of things working properly as many of the manual cars already came with the right engine internals to turn the system on.

However no one in that forum seems to be giving any definitive answers about it being possible or saying they have done it successfully.

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224

- "Just buy a v6"

Thanks in Advance.
I'm assuming yours is a series one VE, with an L98?
All series two VE V8's were L77's, with the DOD disabled in the tune on the manual gearbox models.