Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Insurance for Young Drivers

bennzy

Reaction score
Members Ride
2001 VX II Berlina GenIII V8 5.7
96vscommodore, yea thanks, im happy with what there charging me, would of liked it to be $200 cheaper but oh well, least its covering the wheels and spoiler. just need to let them know that i have a hsv sports exhaust system on it (including extractors) on the car, im surprised it was put on when bought the car, least thats covered too

Mr_Slim

Personal Trainer
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Calais Manual
yeah mine was for comprehensive. the way i see it, i can afford $2000 a year, but if i write off the car (my fault) i really can't afford to outlay another $3-7K for a new one on the spot, so i go the comprehensive.

Hopefully whenever i have an accident though i don't damage the wheels - the Simmons are worth half the value of the car!

Cheeza5

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Berlina
my parents own a farm so i was able to get insurance for 250 for the vl, i was 18 then, its under a farm policy, doesnt matter what mods!!!

Torquen

Boost FTW
Reaction score
Members Ride
450+ HP FORD XR6T
Cheeza5 said:
my parents own a farm so i was able to get insurance for 250 for the vl, i was 18 then, its under a farm policy, doesnt matter what mods!!!
lucky as. wish myn was that cheap with unlimited mods!

shamus

Reaction score
burnz said:
insurance in nsw is to dear state fire leve must be paid =$220
ontop of normal pricing that is why i insure else were
look at qld/nt/act a lot cheaper
are you an idiot?

shamus

Reaction score
I thought it was pretty obvious that you are an idiot if you tell your insurance company that your car is garaged in a different state!!!! Good luck getting any claims paid out.....

vy_storm

just another moderator...
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.users.on.net
Members Ride
VE Calais V 6L
shamus said:
I thought it was pretty obvious that you are an idiot if you tell your insurance company that your car is garaged in a different state!!!! Good luck getting any claims paid out.....
Thanks for the clarification. I think the point was that some insurance companies out of state will insure in other states. Yes you have to give the post code that the car is garaged in. If you had to make a claim for fire, theft or accident then you will have to mention at some stage where it happened thereby revealing your location. I don't think anyone here has mentioned trying to fool the insurance companies, just trying to shop around for the best deal. If there is any hint of trying to break the law or suggesting fraud then the posting will be deleted.

MikesVT

M&M =D
Reaction score
Members Ride
Nothing :'(
Hmmm... why am I paying so much insurance for mine when ive had no licence suspensions, no claims, nothing, the car is completely stock, V6, and its not as if its a new car, garaged, got an alarm, everything an insurance company could want... the only thing is im 18. The CHEAPEST i could find after ringing every insurance company in the phone book and others that people suggested is $2,300 a year, i know others my age driving around in V8s and getting cheaper insurance... what the hell? not happy jan! I had considered insuring in my dads name with me as a driver, but thought i should start having an insurance history of my own plus the price wouldnt have been much different, a couple hundred at most.

vy_storm

just another moderator...
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.users.on.net
Members Ride
VE Calais V 6L
MikesVT said:
Hmmm... why am I paying so much insurance for mine when ive had no licence suspensions, no claims, nothing, the car is completely stock, V6, and its not as if its a new car, garaged, got an alarm, everything an insurance company could want... the only thing is im 18. The CHEAPEST i could find after ringing every insurance company in the phone book and others that people suggested is $2,300 a year, i know others my age driving around in V8s and getting cheaper insurance... what the hell? not happy jan! I had considered insuring in my dads name with me as a driver, but thought i should start having an insurance history of my own plus the price wouldnt have been much different, a couple hundred at most.
Biggest factors in why you are paying so much (and you can't control them)...... age, experience and no claim bonus rating. Increase all of those and your insurance will drop dramatically.