Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Investing 2013

SookyTurner

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vx
Hi Guys

I am looking to invest in shares or something similar this year. There was a thread like this a few years back and spoke about buying shares in a mining company due to the boom. I understand that the mining industry is now on its way out so I am wondering if anyone has any ideas on what to invest in.

I will have around $5000-$6000 to invest and have never done so before. I am beginning to watch the ASX to see what’s occurring but it’s a bit overwhelming to begin with. I will seek a financial advisor before committing to it but I just thought it would be interesting to hear other people's ideas and opinions.

Thanks in advance

Luke

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
I understand that the mining industry is now on its way out....

I wouldn't necesarily say that. Yes there may be changes in the level of investment in the industry due to the development of new projects coming to completion and core operations commencing but, depending on what the company in question is actually mining and the subsequent market for that particular product will partly dictate the value on investing in a particular company, irrespective of what stage the broader "mining industry" is perceived to be at. Iron ore & gold aren't the only things being dug out of the ground. There is commentary around that "the boom" may be over. Doesn't mean there isn't value to be obtained from investing in parts of the sector that are viable businesses making good returns.

And have a look at the recent announcement of the shale oil deposits in SA and the claimed reserves there.

Definitely seek some independent expert advice. Also consider what you want from your investment, i.e. quick in & out investment, long term investment, income returns, asset growth, a combination of the two and are you prepared to continue to add to your portfolio over time.

Good luck.

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
lol @ asking where to invest money on a forum. Pay to go see someone and get real advice.

SookyTurner

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vx
Gold. Usually seems to be steadily on the up.

Honestly I have no idea.

Lol thanks. You'd probably have more of an idea than me lol.

I wouldn't necesarily say that. Yes there may be changes in the level of investment in the industry due to the development of new projects coming to completion and core operations commencing but, depending on what the company in question is actually mining and the subsequent market for that particular product will partly dictate the value on investing in a particular company, irrespective of what stage the broader "mining industry" is perceived to be at. Iron ore & gold aren't the only things being dug out of the ground. There is commentary around that "the boom" may be over. Doesn't mean there isn't value to be obtained from investing in parts of the sector that are viable businesses making good returns.

And have a look at the recent announcement of the shale oil deposits in SA and the claimed reserves there.

Definitely seek some independent expert advice. Also consider what you want from your investment, i.e. quick in & out investment, long term investment, income returns, asset growth, a combination of the two and are you prepared to continue to add to your portfolio over time.

Good luck.

Thanks for all the info mate - much appreciated. I have checked out that company and it looks pretty crazy what could occur.

I will definitely get other advice before proceeding but thanks again!

A quick investment would be ideal but I'd have to make sure to get out when the shares are on the rise or have peaked. I may look at a longer term investment but possibly with the bank (long term deposit)

Cheers

Jesterarts

Your freedom ends where mine begins
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 Nissan X-Trail ST-L
Are you looking for short term returns or a long term investment?

c2105026

Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 VTII Commodore Olympic, 2012 Ford Focus ST
Short term will net you minimal returns unless you happen to score with the next big thing (which in this market is unlikely). What about a term deposit..?

That is what I have done/am doing with my surplus funds; its money in the bank...literally :p

Best to go with a credit union/building society, they have best interest rates. Personally I am with the Greater. Banks will give you feck all unless you have like 50k to deposit.