Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Is this worth tuning...

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SS
depends if ur tune is stock or not now, a stock tune will kill the power for high iat's so u could easily loose 30kw compared to OTR that stays cooler for longer and better recovery if it does heat up, but if ur already tuned then it will depend what tables have been changed with timing, but on a airflow difference there will be some power difference as any longer curved pipe is more of a restriction but would be minimal at the n/a stock engine level

It's untuned at the moment. All stock except for k&n intake setup.

I really doubt that this setup when tuned will be 30kw less than tuned VCM setup...

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
Wasn't there a thread that went into measuring differences in IAT with different intakes and the result was 2/10 of not much?

IIRC it contained a vid of back to back testing of different intakes too.

EDIT: Not LS3 but you get the idea.....

Last edited:

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6

I really doubt that this setup when tuned will be 30kw less than tuned VCM setup...

Lay down your grand and find out ?

vr304

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 ssv manual
Got a vcm Otr on my ve 6 litre and happy with it, as for it sucking in water never had an issue with that happening nor have I ever heard of it happening, as for cleaning you do have to clean it more often than a panel filter naturally but it’s not that bad probably once every 6 months or less if your not daily driving

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
Wasn't there a thread that went into measuring differences in IAT with different intakes and the result was 2/10 of not much?

As for efficiency, I always liked the Ford shaker (sacrilege :eek:) as an method of getting cooler air into the engine. Sadly no maker does such induction from factory. Pity, as you really couldn’t get a shorter cooler path with some ram air affect if you wanted to. Heck, it did look promising quite some years ago when I first saw the WRX; i thought finally some cool air into an engine but on popping the bonnet, the scoop was just for the intercooler :rolleyes:

I really suspect a tune can achieve more power and improved throttle response simply by not adhering or meeting any pollution laws which can maximise the mods one installs. They can tune them as rich and produce as much NOx as they want and just focus on the oomph. Heck don't they usually switch off the Cat’s rear sensors to not flag errors...
yea there was a test with those top mount intercoolers and the bonent scoop and it actually fights against itself and only allowed like 40% of air to flow thru the cooler, radiator/intercoolers are all about pressures in front and behind the cooler (or just the look of it on bonnet for sales purpose) the early shaker deal was a good idea tho back then, yes if u make more and more mods with the factory tune u just end up fighting against yourself and some factory can start removing timing around 30c so even on a normal summer day ur starting off with less but as i always with IAT's if u dont need to then there is no point removing timing, then if u think about that on my stock/blower engine i wasnt removing timing until 80c iat so if it aint knocking or causing any issues then keep timing into it

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85

may not be 30kw but will be some difference, but when it comes to the recovery time and heating up the tube intakes will always take little longer to cool off thus heating the intake charge in the mean time

Banjo79

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS Sportwagon
Two pics for you Ron. There is really not a lot of the intake exposed to rain (or air by looks of it) and its a near vertical wall it runs into. There is a very small drain before the filter if you didn't realise. I've never noticed anything strange running in rain or any oily residue post filter. Filter gets cleaned at least every 15k, but should probably be a bit more frequent. Another FYI, radiator needs to be tilted back to fit a VCM intake.

Attachments

• 20210326_164224.jpg
    20210326_164224.jpg
    220.5 KB · Views: 159
  • 20210326_164153.jpg
    20210326_164153.jpg
    188.5 KB · Views: 146

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SS
Two pics for you Ron. There is really not a lot of the intake exposed to rain (or air by looks of it) and its a near vertical wall it runs into. There is a very small drain before the filter if you didn't realise. I've never noticed anything strange running in rain or any oily residue post filter. Filter gets cleaned at least every 15k, but should probably be a bit more frequent. Another FYI, radiator needs to be tilted back to fit a VCM intake.

That's very helpfull mate. Much appreciated !

RevNev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline Ute
I really doubt that this setup when tuned will be 30kw less than tuned VCM setup
Power from a tune comes from advancing the ignition timing more than fuel mixture and air intake. The LS3 ignition maps are extremely conservative. The restriction is the airbox intake on the stock system and that K&N MAF pipe much like the Camaro or 340 probably flows a bit better than a stock one.

Geoff6666

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vf 1 SSV UTE 6M Phantom
I have the Orssom OTR. It's been on for about 40k Kms. I was concerned about water getting in but it's never been a problem.
I clean and oil it at each oil change 10k. It hasn't ever looked dirty though.
I would expect a 30Kw gain with a tune over the stock tune. Not a 30Kw difference between the two different intakes.
Maybe confirm this with Sonny.