Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Is this worth tuning...

MasterC

MasterC~VsCalais
Reaction score
Members Ride
SSV Redline VF2

paulgar

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF 2 Calais V
I had a Harrop OTR and changed to the Roto-fab. I just didn't like that you basically had to pull off the whole intake to clean the filter. I was thinking of going back to the stock or the walkinshaw 310 intake, or the k&n tube, but the Roto-fab came up on ebay. From the dynos, at the same place, but different times, the Roto-fab has very slightly more power/torque until higher revs where the OTR has a bit more, both probably because to the different conditions on the day. I couldn't feel any difference between the two.
I also have the full HSV340 exhaust.
If I was going to do it all again, I'd do the exhaust (good not large) and the tune first, maybe the intake tube. It's where you'll get the most benefit for real life driving.

paulgar

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF 2 Calais V
Hmmmm nice

I have the Walkinshaw as growler, bought off eBay 2nd hand, but I haven't put it on again since the position sits dangerously close the the radiator hose. This may help that...thanks.
Why dangerously close? If you're worried about the heat transfer, just wrap it in heat shield/wrap.

MasterC

MasterC~VsCalais
Reaction score
Members Ride
SSV Redline VF2
Why dangerously close? If you're worried about the heat transfer, just wrap it in heat shield/wrap.
I had issues with my old car and the hose just coming loose.

Im worried the intake pipe (lack of mechanical knowledge here) will press on the radiator hose and either dislodge it or cause issues.

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SS
The tuner is really pushing that I go with VCM. He thinks I will be disappointed with K&N intake and tune.

The difference is only $260 between tune only and VCM + Tune. I have 3 days to make up my mind ;)

Last edited:

MrBags

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z SERIES
The tuner is really pushing that I go with VCM. He thinks I will be disabled with K&N intake and tune.

The difference is only $260 between tune only and VCM + Tune. I have 3 days to make up my mind ;)
I would do the OTR, I just don’t see a negative personally after having them on my cars for many years. Quite an easy process to remove it and access the filter for cleaning or changing too.
Aesthetically I think they look quite good with the filler panels also over the standard layout.
I hope you get the results you are after whichever way you go.

Derekthetree

Reaction score
Members Ride
Gen-F R8 SV Manual
The tuner is really pushing that I go with VCM. He thinks I will be disappointed with K&N intake and tune.

Seems a good deal, half off the VCM price?

If you get it, you can let me know about the change in intake noise from the HSV intake ;)