Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Is this worth tuning...

Milo 6.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2013 vf ssv wagon/2009 fg xr6t(daily
If you doubt what your tuner is telling you then find a tuner you trust.
If you want to add a cai and not have tune the car then do the aftermarket pipe with the pod,the stock tune/maf will easily account for the very minor change in airflow.
I always believed what my tuner told me and just handed over the $$$$$,if he's good you wont need to go elsewhere,only one way to find out.
If theres no trust then dont use that particular tuner.

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars
A tune even without the cold air intake is a good way to go as it'll greatly improve on the restrictive OEM parameters.

I had a 330ish cam and head package done on an LS2 without an OTRCAI, just a mod to the existing setup and it managed to make very good power.

As much as I'd recommend an OTR, I don't see it as absolutely necessary, it's the tune that's important.

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SS
If you doubt what your tuner is telling you then find a tuner you trust.
If you want to add a cai and not have tune the car then do the aftermarket pipe with the pod,the stock tune/maf will easily account for the very minor change in airflow.
I always believed what my tuner told me and just handed over the $$$$$,if he's good you wont need to go elsewhere,only one way to find out.
If theres no trust then dont use that particular tuner.

I only doubt it because OTR and tune on LS3 is something they've done million times and it's probably quicker to tune, plus margin in supplying th OTR.

I have no doubt about his expertise. Sonny's been around forever...

I prefer stock airbox with k&n intake duct, as I prefer stock look, ease of filter cleaning/replacement and less to explain to authorities if I was ever pulled over....

Milo 6.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2013 vf ssv wagon/2009 fg xr6t(daily
They know what works and what doesnt,what you want to do is a waste of time,thats what he's telling you,and you still want to do it?
If you fully trusted him you'd take his advice,end of.....

3rspecB

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SSv Redline, White Manual Sedan
Some tuners/shops are just set in their ways. I remember a shop in Melbourne telling me I made a big mistake with the rotofab cai and that I was crazy as I wanted to keep my factory rear bimodals with an after market exhaust. I recently had my car dyno tuned (through someone else) and it made 305kwatw. Rotofab cai, xforce headers/cats/mid section and factory bimodal mufflers. Im very happy with it ;).

Last edited:

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SS
Some tuners/shops are just set in their ways. I remember a shop in Melbourne telling me I made a big mistake with the rotofab cai and that I was crazy as I wanted to keep my factory rear bimodals with an after market exhaust. I recently had my car dyno tuned (through someone else) and it made 305kwatw. Rotofab cai, xforce headers/cats/mid section and factory bimodal mufflers. Im very happy with it ;).

That's my thinking. Bandwagon mentality...
Do what everyone does...

For all intents and purposes even stock LS3 is a solid engine in daily commodore.

I am just trying to make it a bit more alive down low...

kleanphil

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS-V SII Sportwagon
Well i'm no expert , but if you want low down just do the diff and a box tune.
EDIT : i can't see you going over the speed limit so were looking at a range of 60km to 100km you wont notice 30kw if that what you could gain, but you will with a diff

Last edited:

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Do what everyone does...
Yes and no...

I‘d think there is an element of familiarity with specific parts and the matching tune which makes it more easily to provide a warranty at reasonable price.

Guess it all depends on the tune and whether one wants to pay for a few hours or more of dyno tuning verses the more familiar intake and tune file which just needs a sanity check and a little tickle :cool:

It’s just speculation on my part but if I was tuning , I’d want to stay with what’s familiar ;)

Ginger Beer

Reaction score
Members Ride
Dunnydoore
My 2 cents

My opinion is not all tuners are the same, some will tune with lots of reliability, fatter tunes, some will "lean" on the engine much harder for the numbers that most people look for, and some just load a flash.

I also believe it depends on what the owner asks for.

When I got my VX, I wanted a reliable daily with some NA goodness with fruit, hence full exhaust, intake, cam package and a good dyno tune, which I asked the tuner to "see what it makes", the only supporting mods were shift kit and trans cooler, it made good power and I was happy with the assumed reliability.

Now, I am getting a HTV2300, so in went a built trans and a new larger fuel pump, but this is when I told the tuner to tune around some variables, mainly the new fully built transmission, we chose to use a big pulley to limit boost, thus reducing a few things that could effect the longevity of the transmission and also to minimise AIT and help with belt longevity, the tuner is also liaising with the guys at Craigs transmissions the adjust the trans tune to suit. .

That, with a fat tune, should see it, hopefully, fairly reliable, remembering that this is a daily driven car, that I'm comfortable putting me and the Mrs in and doing country drives, but also to be able to hold together went it is time to have a bit of casual fun at the drags.

For me, I am always happy to travel and/or pay premium prices for tuning, sometimes it can take days to tune a car if you want it done right.

In the end, my main point is finding the right tuner who listens to the owner, but, gives gives good advice and recommendations and doesn't focus on circle jerk instagram numbers

Apologies for the long winded ravings, I'm bored at the moment with nothing really productive to do.

MasterC

MasterC~VsCalais
Reaction score
Members Ride
SSV Redline VF2
Do what everyone does...

For all intents and purposes even stock LS3 is a solid engine in daily commodore.

I am just trying to make it a bit more alive down low...
Where did you get the intake from. I prefer them over the OTR as well.