Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Keeping My Ride Cool

Shorty33

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Omega sedan 3.0 2010
I live in the tropics, and the temperature here is over 30C most days. For nearly half the year, we have heavy rain almost every day, and the rest of the year, we have almost zero rain.

I have a VooDoo Omega, which I imagine is very efficient at absorbing heat.
My No.1 strategy is to park in the shade: a little effort, but basically, a no-cost option.
No.2, I put a reflective screen up inside the windscreen - a few dollars at your favourite auto-shop.
No.3, if I don't expect rain, I leave the windows down 2cm - at least two windows, to get ventilation across the car (inlet and outlet). This makes a significant difference even on short stops, and costs nothing.
When I get back to my car, and it is uncomfortably hot, I turn the air-con off, wind the windows down, and get some serious ventilation happening while I'm driving. I believe that using the air-con to compete against 1.7 tonnes of absorbed heat is futile: it costs fuel, but doesn't acheive much. After driving for a couple of of km, even in town, the car has cooled sufficiently for me to put the windows up, and turn on the air-con.

Before my VE, I had a VZ, and one way that I think Holden went backwards from the VZ to the VE was the door-locks. The VZ had two-stage, but the VE only has single-stage. When I left the windows down on the VZ, I always double-locked it, but I can't do that on the VE. So, I am left with the tiny suspicion that some clever, dextrous, theiving bastard will open my door through the 2cm gap that I leave: no such fear in the VZ. Mind you, when I discovered that the VE doesn't double-lock, I had good look at the set up, and it would require an exceptionally dextrous and/or clever theiving bastard to manipulate my door locks.

On long trips, I drive with my windows up, and air-con on - that usually works until I get well into NSW. I sometimes wonder whether I might use less fuel with the windows down and the air-con off, but I expect that that would adversely affect the aerodynamic efficiency (that Holden paid millions to design and test), so I'm better off with the air-con.

BigBoss

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Omega
Shorty, thanks for your input mate, I will try some of your techniques when it starts getting hot around hear.
Oh and as for as windows down vs air con on, if you believe myth busters it is more efficient to have your windows down.

Woollie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 SERIES 2
What about some of those whirly bird thingo's that you see on trucks :rofl2:

Shorty33

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Omega sedan 3.0 2010
TinSnips, the VZ lock was a little different from the VE. I think the VZ was better.

In the VZ, the first click locked all the doors, but a person inside could flip the lock, without a key, and open the door. But the second click prevented the car from being unlocked from the inside: the lever on the door would not budge. The Manual had a warning: not to use the second stage lock while someone was in the car.

I just went downstairs and tried the VE. First click locked all the doors, but a person inside could flip the lock, without a key, and open the door: same as the VZ. I relocked the doors, and did the second click, but I could still unlock the door, without a key. The only difference between stage 1 and stage 2 was that in stage 2, the horn beeped when I opened it from the inside.

If it helps the discussion: my VZ was 2005 Executive; and my VE is a 2010 Omega.

itsArthurKomar

sexy beast
Reaction score
Members Ride
super awesome time machine
just stick ur balls in a bucket of ice and there ya go ur all set for the ride ;) lol sorry i am in trolling mood due to **** day haha

TinSnips

Polish all the things...
Reaction score
Website
www.drivencolour.com.au
Members Ride
VF SSV Ute
TinSnips, the VZ lock was a little different from the VE. I think the VZ was better.

In the VZ, the first click locked all the doors, but a person inside could flip the lock, without a key, and open the door. But the second click prevented the car from being unlocked from the inside: the lever on the door would not budge. The Manual had a warning: not to use the second stage lock while someone was in the car.

I just went downstairs and tried the VE. First click locked all the doors, but a person inside could flip the lock, without a key, and open the door: same as the VZ. I relocked the doors, and did the second click, but I could still unlock the door, without a key. The only difference between stage 1 and stage 2 was that in stage 2, the horn beeped when I opened it from the inside.

If it helps the discussion: my VZ was 2005 Executive; and my VE is a 2010 Omega.

The door buttons should not be able to unlock the car from the inside of the car when it's been locked remotely, only by the button on the centre console. The lock buttons should just spin freely.

Lpl8r

Reaction score
From what I have read about those solar fans. They will definately work on cars with tint.
However the darker the tint the less effective they will be.

SOLAR FRIDGE FAN FOR CARAVANS & RV'S | eBay
This is another option you could take, just to keep the air circulating a little bit