Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Legal wheel spacers?

Poor old Dad

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII Calais V
I'm over there as well and you'll be banned very quickly if you rubbish the product but they don't stop you from airing grievances about failure or poor service and the like.

Put simply, your complain has to be legitimate and not trolling.

I've been there since 2005 and tbh it's the same as here. Varied personalities with various cars and opinions to suit.

All good, though these days I steer clear of "The Bar" over there and I don't think I've ever looked at "The Bar" here - certainly never posted in it. Too many other places where one can find opinions.

It does have a very good resources section as well as some very knowledgeable people (same as here).

Same as a lot of ppl I'm on various other forums as well.

One thing they all have in common is that if there's going to be a **** fight, it'll be on the weekend.

Not hard to work out why...

abuch47

Reaction score
Members Ride
LSS3 YOOTE
I learnt early from family xmas to stay sober

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
@saroadie thats why am asking if the offset can be changed on the standard SSV wheels because the clearance is less then a bees dick on them.
View attachment 203482
If it’s not possible to do then I have a new set of aftermarket wheels I’ll get with the right offset that works. I just like the factory ones.

You could possibly get spacers approved by an engineer, but I doubt it, as the only brand of car I have seen them legally fitted to in Australia is a Porsche.

I also think the cost of trying to get the approval would out weight the cost of getting the correct offset wheels to suit the brakes you are running.

The same applies with changing the offset of the standard wheels you are currently running...A section would have to be welded to the bolt up face, to space them out enough for clearance for the brakes, as these wheels are 1 piece.....

So unfortunately, buying the correct wheels would probably be the cheapest option and the easiest option, especially considering you are having the brake conversion engineer certified

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars
You could possibly get spacers approved by an engineer, but I doubt it, as the only brand of car I have seen them legally fitted to in Australia is a Porsche.

I also think the cost of trying to get the approval would out weight the cost of getting the correct offset wheels to suit the brakes you are running.

The same applies with changing the offset of the standard wheels you are currently running...A section would have to be welded to the bolt up face, to space them out enough for clearance for the brakes, as these wheels are 1 piece.....

So unfortunately, buying the correct wheels would probably be the cheapest option and the easiest option, especially considering you are having the brake conversion engineer certified

Some of the Mercedes-Benz performance models have them OEM.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Awesome, thread is back on topic :)

So, in (a short) answer to the OP. No (reading the relevant laws/ADR's).

The long answer may be that if you spend enough money it might be possible, I guess it really depends on how much time and effort you want to spend on this endeavour?

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
The long answer may be that if you spend enough money it might be possible,

According to old mate in that article link I posted @ #39

"Dr" Tim Bartrop said:
when I asked my advisor at the Department of Transport about wheel spacers, he replied: “Nothing must come between the wheel and the hub.”.....the various DOTs around Australia won’t allow them. The solution is to choose the right diff and wheels in the first place so that spacers aren’t required.

I doubt any amount of money will get them certified.

Tatiana

We should have sushi Carol
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Equinox LTZ - runs on cocaine
Darren Keech for taking my money for years on end

No one forces anyone to contribute, it's voluntary and certainly not taken but gifted willingly.

You may think the forum rules override consumer rights as a disclaimer,

Consumer rights on a forum?

So yeah I will take a step back and seek a legal perspective.

I am a troll on a forum and have been banned numerous times for breaking the rules and ban evasion and I want to take legal action against them for not letting be a member! Good luck with that!

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
According to old mate in that article link I posted @ #39

I doubt any amount of money will get them certified.

Completely agree but you have to give them some hope, who knows, sometimes if you find the right engineer who sees a "grey" area they might sneak it through...

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
BTW @immortality or @Tatiana , any chance of using your magic wands to clean this thread of all the irrelevant to & fro ?

IMO this is an important topic that should have the relevant info only for future searchers / reference.

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars
BTW @immortality or @Tatiana , any chance of using your magic wands to clean this thread of all the irrelevant to & fro ?

IMO this is an important topic that should have the relevant info only for future searchers / reference.

That's a fair comment but most of the relevant info for the OP was given in the first page and what followed is an good insight into the workings of a serial forum abuser.

It wouldn't hurt for it to stay for posterity's sake.