Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Leigh's '81 VH SL/X Project

Leigh_G

..forgot the sump bolt
Reaction score
Members Ride
'81 VH SLX, '08 Prado Grande
SL/X cluster installed, with LEDs for dial illumination :):):):)

j7rproV_d.jpg

Also grabbed a vac line from the wreck and installed that, so now my vac gauge works a treat too :D

afstruct

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Maloo , 2002 Monaro
Looks really clean an nice.
Tail lights look great .
Yeah , patience and keep looking = a 5.0l will turn up for the right price = to rebuild/ mod.
Been looking for a while = even initially missed it thanks to idiots jumping in early = but I got in the end = complete vr ii 5.0l for rebuild .
While newer would have been nice = eg = roller , this is otherwise the the perfect base for a nice 355 for my maloo.

And yeah = everyone forgets about all the added costs = ( not just an ls1 engine) and engineering to convert = not to mention that way cooler old school v8 sound

Leigh_G

..forgot the sump bolt
Reaction score
Members Ride
So things are coming along well, I've sourced a donor car - a 95 VS Statesman. Everything works except the fuel pump - which the owner said worked last time he started it about 2 years ago - so I'm hoping it's just a crap connection.

p7EOhgPm.jpg
QYfhoo9l.jpg

Also picked up an engine crane and stand this week, so it's all happening! I've pulled exhaust, intake and most ancillaries off the old 202, so with any luck I'll have the engine and trimatic out tomorrow.

A6EARQcl.jpg

Looks really clean an nice.
Tail lights look great .
Yeah , patience and keep looking = a 5.0l will turn up for the right price = to rebuild/ mod.
Been looking for a while = even initially missed it thanks to idiots jumping in early = but I got in the end = complete vr ii 5.0l for rebuild .
While newer would have been nice = eg = roller , this is otherwise the the perfect base for a nice 355 for my maloo.

And yeah = everyone forgets about all the added costs = ( not just an ls1 engine) and engineering to convert = not to mention that way cooler old school v8 sound

Thanks for the kind words! Yeah I'd love a roller block or even the factory stroker-relieved ones, but this stato came up for a steal so I had to go with it. It's had the engine replaced 4 or so years ago, so the engine is from a VN berlina. Besides that, it's all original and in good nick.

Last edited:

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
Try dodgey ol' smack the tank trick to dislodge crap in f/pump...then driveway burnouts!!!!

For what you paid it's perfect learner recipe for d.i.y conversion

Leigh_G

..forgot the sump bolt
Reaction score
Members Ride
Try dodgey ol' smack the tank trick to dislodge crap in f/pump...then driveway burnouts!!!!
Tried that when I paid for the car, but no luck.. maybe I wasn't smacking it hard enough lol..
And I can't do driveway burnouts because it's being stored at my brother-in-laws place at the moment.. actually.. I am his landlord... maybe I CAN do driveway burnouts! :D

Got the engine and trans out this weekend. Also dug up all the wiring diagrams for the Statesman and PCM pinout info, so I'll have a review of all that and try memorise as much as I can before I start tearing the donor to bits..

ldZo8eEl.jpg

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
Keep engine loom off the sixpot...label plugs & plug it back into firewall harness...fairly simple to work out factory holden colours but handy if 1st time conversion or project takes long enough you'll forget what it is or where it goes.

I like to use all of that 6cyl loom anyway for gauges to work & simplicity (charge light,solenoid starter etc)

Sounds like might need new pump &/or fuel tank cleanout....better to get donor running so you can work out what needs fixing or changing.

Last edited:

Leigh_G

..forgot the sump bolt
Reaction score
Members Ride
Some minor progress.. tested the relays/fuses and loom to fuel pump and all okay. Has voltage at the pump socket, but pump is dead.

Pulled it out yesterday and also saw the return line to the swirl pot was disintegrated too.. ugh.

Bought a new return hose and fuel pump today but only got the pump halfway in before running out of light, will have to head back tomorrow hopefully, and finish the install, would be nice to have it running this weekend, for a quick spin around the block

Leigh_G

..forgot the sump bolt
Reaction score
Members Ride
Managed to squeeze an hour or so in today, got the new pump installed, and primed the system. Fuel sprayed everywhere from a hose just before the fuel filter.. guess that was the leak that was present before I bought it.. :p

Swapped over that hose and turned the key.

Fired up first shot and idled mint! Early days, but no spluttering, idle wavering or smoke after 2+ years of sitting around.. I'm pretty chuffed.

I'll try take it for a spin this week to make sure everything works fine.

While under the car I noticed the fuel tank had two decent dents in it, which sucks coz I was hoping to be able to paint this one up nice before putting it in the VH.. I think I'll still use it to get things up and running, but I'll have to keep an eye out for a tank in better shape before I take the time to trick it out

Leigh_G

..forgot the sump bolt
Reaction score
Members Ride
Quick update, logistics with the donor living temporarily at my brother's has sucked, as I can't start stripping it yet.. but I've been pottering about on the VH, getting things ready.

Decided to go with a boot-battery setup and I'm planning to do some hidden wiring in the bay, after I get it initially fired up with a temporary/spaghetti loom. Got a battery box and some cable on the way. Still need a fuse or two and distribution block.

Degreased and pressure-washed the whole bay and tunnel.. contemplated touching up the paint in the bay but for now I'll just knock the rail paint back a bit (some patches are back to metal after I scrubbed it) and hit them with something tough to protect them till I pull the engine out later on for a freshen up.

Picked up a VN V8 power steering rack tonight and gave it a wash. One less piece of the puzzle..

Still on the hunt for a diff solution.. got some ideas and a mate helping me look for parts. I took a gamble on a cheap 10 bolt Salisbury and lost - it had some water get in it so the ring gear was rusted up and wrong ratio for my needs.. The centre and 28-spline axles look fine though so maybe I could wipe em off and flip em..

Last edited: