Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Lifter preload

Klajd

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY
I've been looking for how to adjust the lifters for an ecotec l36 but both the service manuals ive read; neither of them mention anything just simply say install and its done. All the other forums seem to go off topic and just don't have an answer. https://www.maceengineering.com.au/epages/mace.sf/en_AU/?ObjectPath=/Shops/mace/Products/SPG606 These are the lifters to be installed; it says that these are to be set to oem specifications, does anyone happen to know what those are? Cheers

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
There is no specification for lifter pre-load because there are specifications for everything else engine wise (including how much you can machine off the cylinder heads) so as long as everything else is within specification that lifter pre-load will always be within spec. OEM V6 lifters have quiet a large range of pre-load.

For more info on V6 lifters see https://zzperformance.com/collections/3800/products/ls7-hydraulic-roller-lifters

The only way to adjust lifter pre-load on a stock V6 is to change the push rod length or fit adjustable rockers.

King_berald

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina Wagon
So it doesn't matter how far the heads are machined, as long as its within spec, you would used factory length pushrods? did i understand correct?

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Basically yes.

Pollushon

Boost gives me a bar....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
So it doesn't matter how far the heads are machined, as long as its within spec, you would used factory length pushrods? did i understand correct?

Depends. If you take an LS lifter you've got about .060" to play with and ideally you want to end up in the middle for stock. From memory the OEM L36 has less to play with. Facing heads is one thing but machining them is another, if you snug the rod into the lifter hard you're going to be in for a bad day at the upper rev range. You want to be sure how much material the machining took

King_berald

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina Wagon
Depends. If you take an LS lifter you've got about .060" to play with and ideally you want to end up in the middle for stock. From memory the OEM L36 has less to play with. Facing heads is one thing but machining them is another, if you snug the rod into the lifter hard you're going to be in for a bad day at the upper rev range. You want to be sure how much material the machining took
So how much preload?

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Stock V6 lifter can take up to .150" pre-load.

It all comes down to what lifters you use.

King_berald

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina Wagon
i built a motor that now has a misfire. i have no idea what the problem is. I found it hard to find info on the preload also as i replaced the lifters and realised the heads had been decked. I got pushrods at 6.95 because that gives me just over 1 turn. So to read that they should be factory length makes me think ive buggered up.