Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Losh's New Ride

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S1 V6 6 speed Auto Wagon
Fair bit different. In saying that if I had the skill and gear to make one it might work. Then comes ability to shape the perspex and heating it so it can wrap around and having it cut to the right size.

I don't know why it's $2k to make one. Given the price of materials there must be a fair bit in labour. I priced up a new one in Melbourne as can't find anyone locally who makes them.
There could be $1000.00 - $1500.00 profit in that quote. They don't work for nothing.

chrisp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 MY16 SS Redline Sportwagon
There could be $1000.00 - $1500.00 profit in that quote. They don't work for nothing.

There’d certainly be a lot of overhead in commercial quotes. The building costs, machinery costs, and support staff salaries will all be factored in. Even the cost of doing quotes will be factored in to any work quoted. There is no such thing as a ‘free quote’ - you end up pay for it (and a proportion of the unsuccessful quotes) when you pay the invoice.

But, yes, much opportunity to ‘save’ money (or rather, pay less) when you can do it yourself.

Reactions: Lex

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I wish I could make a new one myself but I don't have the skill nor the equipment. It would take precise measurements to get the perspex cut. Then it would require something to shape the perspex around the two corners that in itself is not going to work with a heat gun. I could use cuts but then the $60 in welding goes up to $260. Then I have to somehow secure the corners together. It's obviously not the materials I'd have to pay a premium for, it's covering the price of gear to do it and then paying for the knowledge on how to get it right that makes up the rest. Bit like the old $2,000 hammer tap. Might take a bloke two mins to hit that machine, but it's not his two mins your paying for it's knowing where to use the hammer, that costs the other $1900.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Moved from the shed thread.

I'm back to working on the boat windscreen. I bought some silicone remover yesterday and have just applied it. I have managed to run out with one 400mm channel left to go. Probably have to scrape and wire brush it out as the tub wasn't cheap. Its weired gear as you can't really apply it with a brush. Instead you use a scraper but of course you end up wasting a bit. I will leave it 2-3 hours and see how well it's worked.
Next step will be sandblasting at home or finding someone to bead blast them. Not having the panels made until July so plenty of time to figure the latter out.

I'd love to buy a cabinet but I don't where I'd put it unless I come up with other safe storage options for boats and trailers.

Last edited:

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
So I got a fair amount of silicone off the windscreen channels with the silicone remover. Turns out it's not terribly effective. It works best on thinnish amounts of silicone. While I got most of it off I will probably need another tub to finish them. I used a scrubbing brush to clean out the softened silicone along with some warm soapy water and a bucket. I then cleaned a bit more out with compressed air.

I'm now a bit undecided on whether I sandblast them first or give them another hit of silicone remover. It's just under $35 a tub at Mitre 10 and doesn't go far for a tub about the same size as a pot of caustic soda. Issue is sandblasting might not clean out the channels enough as the silicone could be resistant to the abrasive and I could waste expensive garnet if I have to hit them twice.

Even then I have to decide if I really want garnet in every crack and crevice of my person or if I pay the extra and find someone in Town who has a cabinet.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Spent a bit more time tonight on the windscreen channels. I managed to scrape a fair bit out with wire brush, screwdriver and a Stanley knife. I probably should have done that before I used the silicone remover gel. I'm thinking I will buy another tub of gel and hit them again, but I will spend another hour or so on the remaining channels and get them as clean as I can first.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Delete wrong thread.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Just been out in the shed having a play with the windscreen frame. After some various testing methods I have decided on a quick and light wire wheel in the 4" angle grinder rather than go to the horrid job of sandblasting them. I first tried the grinder in the vice but it was too easy to cause scratches from too much much pressure. However, with grinder in hand I can see the side I'm working on and apply the right amount of pressure to just remove the corrosion from where the press studs once were. Plan is to hopefully work on them in the evenings if I get time and clean them up and fill in the corrosion with the generic Devcon I have in the shed. Then I will etch them, hopefully this Friday and if I have time I will also prime them ready to send them to the joiners in July for the new panels to be cut. I may top coat them prior to sending them or I may wait in case they chip my finished paint.

hademall

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF CALAIS WAGON
Just been out in the shed having a play with the windscreen frame. After some various testing methods I have decided on a quick and light wire wheel in the 4" angle grinder rather than go to the horrid job of sandblasting them. I first tried the grinder in the vice but it was too easy to cause scratches from too much much pressure. However, with grinder in hand I can see the side I'm working on and apply the right amount of pressure to just remove the corrosion from where the press studs once were. Plan is to hopefully work on them in the evenings if I get time and clean them up and fill in the corrosion with the generic Devcon I have in the shed. Then I will etch them, hopefully this Friday and if I have time I will also prime them ready to send them to the joiners in July for the new panels to be cut. I may top coat them prior to sending them or I may wait in case they chip my finished paint.
I'd wait.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Got the frame etched and primed today. I have had a think and am thinking I will top coat the frame before I send it for the panels to be cut. If they knock it around a little I can touch it up, that's easy. A friend mentioned buying perspex from Bunnings and cut my own panels, but it works out to be a lot more expensive.