Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Losh's VR Ute build thread

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
The crappy Australian peso makes the whole thing worse when it's worth bugger all so it's costing the importers more to buy the tyres from os, so they charge us more to make up for it.
This is becoming the dum country! Can't make cars, can't even make tyres..

Bridgestone was the last manufacturer to pull out of Australia, because the manufacturing costs became too bloody high...The desire for the Aussie worker to made good money combined with the importation of cheap imports helped seal the fate of tyre manufacturers in this country...There was also other factors involved

Last edited:

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Ive had some failure with retreads delaminating and some that wore the tread out. I never hear much about retreads now. Not even sure if they can be bought in Tas. I'd go SH from the wreckers over retreads now. IMHO they would want to be pretty darn cheap to even consider using them.

They haven't made car retreads for 10 + years....The reason being cheap imports flooded the market, therefore made manufacturing them not cost effective...Truck retreads are still being made to this day

Last edited:

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Manufacturer's don't give two sh!ts about the inflation rate.

Their costs are their costs......and their desire for ever greater profits remains their desire for ever greater profits.

Like with anything, it comes down to "what he market will bare".

Same with $13 pints or $6 coffees. If people refused to pay it, they couldn't / wouldn't charge it.

False.....I know of one tyre manufacturer than nearly went belly up....The cost of tyre must incorporate the shipping of it into the country, any sort of warranties that apply to the tyre, as well as the distribution side of the tyre...So there is a little more involved than that

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
What model are you looking at?

Not sure TBH, I wouldn't have thought I would have too many options in a 225/50/16. KTAS just showed me one option in the Kumho.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
The options are the KU22 or the Zetum....The KU 22 I am currently running on my VC and are very happy with them

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
OK yeah not sure. I was just asking the question if they could get Kumhos and getting an idea on price. KU22 sounds familiar. I have heard Zetum's are good too. I have Champs on the front and I'm quite happy with them. But they have gone up and since Kumho's are only $10 more per tyre I will go with them and KTAS is near work so I can drop it off and walk to work.

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
False.....I know of one tyre manufacturer than nearly went belly up....The cost of tyre must incorporate the shipping of it into the country, any sort of warranties that apply to the tyre, as well as the distribution side of the tyre...So there is a little more involved than that

You must have missed the bit where I said "their costs are their costs....."

You might also like to do some research on the Australia Tax.....hint, it's not levied by Govco.

At the end of the day, the Australian inflation rate has little to no relevance to the price of goods, particularly imported goods such as tyres, which are not included in the basket of goods that form the basis of the Australian inflation rate.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Just squired in some expanda foam into the sailplane. Plan is to buy some fibre fill and grind out the cracks and put some filler in it. Then finish it with a thin layer of bog. Right now I'm working on the tub corner. The other day I paint stripped it as it appeared that someone had painted it with house enamel and it was totally cracked up. I have just flexi primed it and am waiting to hit it with some grey primer before giving it a coat of white acrylic. Will still have to give it another few coats of acrylic white once I get to SCA and grab a couple of duplicolour pressure cans in the right shade. For now I'm going over the repaired areas with plain white then once I work out how much paint I need I will go over with Holden white. Also bought some new zinc screws to relace the ones the hold the sailplane and rear tub corners on. Little things that are cheap but it feels good to have it looking a fair bit better than just a bodgy old VR 6cyl ute.
20180516_155339.jpg
20180516_155327.jpg

Last edited:

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
Just squired in some expanda foam into the sailplane. Plan is to buy some fibre fill and grind out the cracks and put some filler in it. Then finish it with a thin layer of bog. Right now I'm working on the tub corner. The other day I paint stripped it as it appeared that someone had painted it with house enamel and it was totally cracked up. I have just flexi primed it and am waiting to hit it with some grey primer before giving it a coat of white acrylic. Will still have to give it another few coats of acrylic white once I get to SCA and grab a couple of duplicolour pressure cans in the right shade. For now I'm going over the repaired areas with plain white then once I work out how much paint I need I will go over with Holden white. Also bought some new zinc screws to relace the ones the hold the sailplane and rear tub corners on. Little things that are cheap but it feels good to have it looking a fair bit better than just a bodgy old VR 6cyl ute.

Needs more pics.