Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Lowered springs v springs/short shocks.

vr1uz-fe

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
vr berlina
just go with there 30mm lowerd springs

but coil overs are far better but if you dont want to spend then just pay the 550 at pedders it comes with 40,000k 2 year warrenty you could of even got it lowerd by holden at pedders before you bought it and you retain all warrentys on your car

TinSnips

Polish all the things...
Reaction score
Website
www.drivencolour.com.au
Members Ride
VF SSV Ute
a ve for handiling in my opion would work best with the sils fairly level

the front end is awsome like the fg front end and they both stop brake dive to a degree so even more hight in the front would give a bit more flex in braking puting more wheight on the tyres

The way you described that totally makes sense to me - never thought about it that way - I guess the idea of finding a compromise between load carrying and handling is a bit dumb! It's not a work ute, so handling it is! If I can ask another question, if you were setting a ute up for social tarmac rallies (I know.. dumb also!) what height would you go? I've been thinking 30mm would be about it, as it isn't track racing and I don't want to be buying front bars each month!

wigbilly

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY10 VE SSV UTE M6
Thanks guys. Lot clearer.

vr1uz-fe

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
vr berlina
my personal opinion is that sports shocks with a slight lowering will give the best handiling

coilovers are made for racing when you want a street car real low a coilover will give a good shock stroke for spring rate but going that low plays with geometry race cars have custom suspension so when they change hight they will adjust all the amrs and angles to match

when i did a whiteline course the head whiteline mechanic said they were at a track day testing they seen a lancer evo with coil overs dumped squeeling the tryers they said to the guy come in and we will help you he droped his car off they changed the coilover to evo hight he gained 2 seconds a lap the thing is evos are lowerd to where the roll center is just under the ground any lower and they loose perfomance

TinSnips

Polish all the things...
Reaction score
Website
www.drivencolour.com.au
Members Ride
VF SSV Ute
Thanks heaps for that! Yeah, I thought dumping it would fup the handling. The ute's a daily driver that I'd like to race socially so I can't really justify the cost of DMS coilovers. I figure the Bilsteins are damped hard enough for me. I guess the 30mm lowered springs are about right then, and you think pedders will hold up just as well as Eibach? I only ask because I was thinking H&R or Eibach springs but if I can save the cash, I will!

vr1uz-fe

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
vr berlina
eibachs only cost more because they have to be imported pedders are made in melbourn they are actually made by an engineering company next to pedders headquaters pedders shocks are made by a company that also makes other brands here in australia bilsitens are just as good as pedders there is one company for street that dose good shocks koni but are more expencive i have a set of adjustable konis for my vr wroth 800 for just the front and i had to cut'n'shut them but im thinking of going coilovers cause the springs i have for the konis are to high for my liking and im not puting springs that are to low on 800 shocks

TinSnips

Polish all the things...
Reaction score
Website
www.drivencolour.com.au
Members Ride
VF SSV Ute
eibachs only cost more because they have to be imported pedders are made in melbourn they are actually made by an engineering company next to pedders headquaters pedders shocks are made by a company that also makes other brands here in australia bilsitens are just as good as pedders there is one company for street that dose good shocks koni but are more expencive i have a set of adjustable konis for my vr wroth 800 for just the front and i had to cut'n'shut them but im thinking of going coilovers cause the springs i have for the konis are to high for my liking and im not puting springs that are to low on 800 shocks

now see, I was actually running with bilstein over Koni as i thought they were damped harder and were better suited to heavy use, being a monotube design. Gotta love all the mixed info going around. I've asked for advice from a number of suspension shops and only heard back from 2. One said Konis, one said Bilstein. Guess which ones they each sold! The H&R springs seem to be around the same price as the Pedders, but I'll always buy an Australian made product (I know pedders is a yank company) if it stacks up to the imported gear (hence my preference for shelby sways). Unbiased advice seems to be very hard to come by!

vr1uz-fe

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
vr berlina
na pedders is australian mark pedder owns it i have had a beer with him before his dad ron used to own it and rons dad started it in sydney in like the 30's or 40's

not all bilstien's are mono tube