Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

MACE Cold Air Intake

VY03

Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 VY Acclaim
Just installed my Mace CAI today and very impressed with the results so far. Very noticeable difference in throttle response and has changed the exhaust note a little as well. WIll test it more during the week, but so far very happy with the purchase.

Cool just waiting for mine to arrive as well :)

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
First tank of fuel now done. Economy hasn't really changed with this tank getting 13.4l per 100 km compared to 13.15 for the last tank pre-instal. May have something to do with a heavy right foot in the first few days after install. I also didn't reset the ECU after installing and I am lead to believe I should have. So filled up again last night and reset the ECU. Will be interesting to see if anything changes for tank 2.

VY03

Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 VY Acclaim
Thats interesting as I wouldn't think you would need to reset the ecu after installing the CAI :unsure:

HamaTime™

VIP Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
C Class AMG
Been wanting to ask this question for a while. I want an unbiased pros and cons list about a MACE CAI kit as opposed to a L67 Supercharged CAI for a VS.

Anyone got anything to say about it?

Cutty

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman Supercharged
I have the stock L67 supercharged CAI setup on my Statesman as it came with it. I am close to changing it over to the MACE setup. The OTR one just seems to always be so hot from my experiences. From what I have read on here it seems to be each to their own in terms of opinions on this.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Been wanting to ask this question for a while. I want an unbiased pros and cons list about a MACE CAI kit as opposed to a L67 Supercharged CAI for a VS.

Anyone got anything to say about it?

go back to some of my posts earlier on in this thread. it should explain it well enough. i bought a VS super6 CAI because everybody said it works. after doing some data logging on the missus VS is soon discovered the truth. i now use the MACE setup.

the only downside (if you could call it that) is that the induction noise is more noticeable. some like it, some don't. my missus doesn't but she has no say on the mater :D

HamaTime™

VIP Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
C Class AMG
go back to some of my posts earlier on in this thread. it should explain it well enough. i bought a VS super6 CAI because everybody said it works. after doing some data logging on the missus VS is soon discovered the truth. i now use the MACE setup.

the only downside (if you could call it that) is that the induction noise is more noticeable. some like it, some don't. my missus doesn't but she has no say on the mater :D

Haha, I had a feeling when I posted that I should read the entire thread first, but i was a lazy bugger. Well you seem pretty set on the fact that the MACE enclosed pod is better. And I have heard also that the L67 OTR CAI is a heatsoak nightmare, however, I have seen people combine a MACE system with an L67 OTR or a MACE system with a PVC pipe to the bottom of the engine bay...What are your thoughts on a paired system?

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Haha, I had a feeling when I posted that I should read the entire thread first, but i was a lazy bugger. Well you seem pretty set on the fact that the MACE enclosed pod is better. And I have heard also that the L67 OTR CAI is a heatsoak nightmare, however, I have seen people combine a MACE system with an L67 OTR or a MACE system with a PVC pipe to the bottom of the engine bay...What are your thoughts on a paired system?

it's not so much a personal opinion as much as the numbers speak for themselves. if you have a look at my ride (link at the bottom of the post) you'll note that i run a enclosed POD filter of my own design with a dedicated cold air intake going underneath the car. i ran this setup against the advice of many on this forum who could only rubbish any POD setup. fact is that the VN ran a 6.8sec 0-60mph on the Gtech with only my enclosed POD, 2.5" exhaust and LSD/3.45 gears with a basic tune on a average clutch and the crappiest stock 14" tyres that had serious limitations on traction in 1st gear. even now with 17's and good rubber i can break traction in 1st if i give to much throttle in 1st from a standing start and i don't need to rev it and drop the clutch either. i can't say enough how important a good cold air supply is.

on the VR/VS the OTR design is a waste of time in my opinion. if you have a look at the design of the front bar/grill/bonnet you will quickly see that there is stuff all room between the grill/bonnet for air to get to the OTRCAI. they work well on VN/VP's because the area between the grill and the top of the radiator is open and a good source of cold air.