Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

more heater dramas, to do with aircond

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Tap?

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I replaced the tap this arvo. I believe it has made some difference to the operation without the aircon on at least anyway. Once I fitted the new tap it seemed like both side of the middle vent on the dash were blowing warm. Where as before if I had it on fresh and not recirculate the drivers side would blow cool or barley warm. Recirculate was great just not with air on as well. Now this is the middle vent that utilises the same duct, I believe. Now I am wondering if the core is still partially blocked?? I have had it reverse flushed by the rad tech and have also reverse flushed it myself fairly recently. It had good flow but that begs the question of whether the water is just taking the path of least resistance and flowing well through the unblocked tubes???
Anyone know if I was to take the pipes off drain the core best I can and then pour flush down the heater hose into the core only, maybe put some food dye in it so I know when the flush starts coming out the other side. I need to know if this is a waste but I was wondering if I just soak the core with the concentrated flush solution without flow for an hour or two, whether that would loosen up anything inside and then maybe reverse flush it again to remove the chemicals?? Or is it the flow and chemical that helps to break up the sludge?

The other thing I am considering is that the outside of the core could have mud in it and thus not letting enough air to pass through it?? Is there any solution for the latter?? I believe in later models you can access the side of the box and cut a hole?? Just not sure I can achieve this with a VR??

VS_Pete

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SV6 MY12 SPORTWAGON

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Thanks Pete, that is a really easy way to swap a core. I won't go that far just yet, I might just get the tech to look at the ducting and what he can without cutting the pipes off. Only because at the present my core is not leaking. What I think I might try first is squirting water up the drain and try to half fill the box with water and let it drain to see if the water comes out dirty. If I do that two or three times it might just wash the outside of the core. It's certainly better today than it was, so I think the tap was faulty. Thinking of ways to circulate the chemical in the core alone and I reckon if I got a SH pond pump or aquarium pump I might be able to circulate it just through the core thus not have to replace new coolant.

VK SL 3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK SL 5spd
Im interested to see if you solve this, my VS ute has had a terrible heater since ive owned it. Below about 2 it wont heat the cab unless you have it on re-circulate A/C off, Ive had a few fiddles with it, tap works core flushed thermostat replaced etc. The heater core is plenty hot under the dash on both pipes but not at the vents. Plenty of air flow through the vents.
My guess is the flap that directs air into the core isnt working properly, the adjustment rod on the side is ok on mine as well but something inside must be wrong.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Been a while but i finally have something to report. This arvo i put the heater on face but not on recirculate and the heater blew really warm on both sides of the middle dash vent. It also didn't seem to fog up. But i need it freezing to really know for sure that it won't fog up without the A/C on.

vs-lover

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S2 Calais, VS S2 Exec Wagon, VS S2 Acclaim
Hi Losh,

The heater should never fog up the interior if you've "Not" had the A/C working, but once you turn the A/C on and then off and then still have the heater on your interior will fog up again until the inside of the HVAC assembly fully dries out and the evaporator fully normalises.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
If i have it on recirculate it fogs up without A/C on, no matter when. It's worst in sub zero temps. I put it down to my breathing.