Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Moving on from my ve ss to VF SS V is it worth it???

13redlineVF

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vf redline
My mate has a VY SS in black tuned up really nice. The car is great maybe nicer than my stock VF Redline. It's all relative. Would I swap with him? NO WAY!!

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
Maybe later down the track wen they drop around 25k-30k I may buy one. I don't want to make the same mistake my friend done (most people) and purchased a new car just because its a new model than regretted it later and wanted to sell it lol.. iv always had holden's and love them but always bought them second hand never new I could not spend that much cash knowing it will drop dramatically in a couple of years..
I've always said this ... and if I totalled what I wanted & could have been able to pay repayment-for vs what I actually bought over the years, I've probably saved myself at least a coupla hundred grand ... :)

But at mid 40's neither I nor my better-half had ever bought a new car, the newest either of us had bought was a couple of years old - and that was in the early 90's for both of us. And as a car enthusiast I'd never owned an Australian V8 car, which (like owning an Alfa) is something I felt needed rectifying, despite the fact that I'd probably regret it (like owning an Alfa) because we all know Holdens are cheap+nasty (the reliable comfy 20yo one that the VF was replacing notwithstanding :) ).

Would I have bought a VE? I dunno. The interior was always very taxi-spec to me, but without the VF to compare I mightn't have been so against the concept. But we were always going to buy new, so the question never really came up.

I ... well I almost regret not waiting for a VF2. But I wouldn't have got the colour we both wanted (it's NLA in Redline), and it'd have cost nearly an extra $10k. Yes our car's depreciated AT LEAST $10k since we picked it up a bit over 5 months ago, but if you own a car 20 years like we intend to it's the purchase-price that's the biggie - resale notsomuch.

Last edited:

bradles024

Reaction score
Members Ride
BA XR8
I wonder how many vf2 buyers are first new car buyers. I've never really considered getting a new car until the vf2 because it's the last one.

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
I know of quite a few people who've never considered owning a Commodore before, and who are keen for (or have ordered or bought) a V8 VF2.
The 6's don't have as much aura.

13redlineVF

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vf redline
I know 3 people who bought purely cause it is the last chance to get one. Holden should of done this on the VE as a marketing ploy!

Fekason

Fekason
Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 MY16 SV6, 2 x Triumph 2500 (1970/77), manuals
I've always said this ... and if I totalled what I wanted & could have been able to pay repayment-for vs what I actually bought over the years, I've probably saved myself at least a coupla hundred grand ... :)

But at mid 40's neither I nor my better-half had ever bought a new car, the newest either of us had bought was a couple of years old - and that was in the early 90's for both of us. And as a car enthusiast I'd never owned an Australian V8 car, which (like owning an Alfa) is something I felt needed rectifying, despite the fact that I'd probably regret it (like owning an Alfa) because we all know Holdens are cheap+nasty (the reliable comfy 20yo one that the VF was replacing notwithstanding :) ).

Would I have bought a VE? I dunno. The interior was always very taxi-spec to me, but without the VF to compare I mightn't have been so against the concept. But we were always going to buy new, so the question never really came up.

I ... well I almost regret not waiting for a VF2. But I wouldn't have got the colour we both wanted (it's NLA in Redline), and it'd have cost nearly an extra $10k. Yes our car's depreciated AT LEAST $10k since we picked it up a bit over 5 months ago, but if you own a car 20 years like we intend to it's the purchase-price that's the biggie - resale notsomuch.

I spent many years buying cars a few years old based on my finances at the time. But eventually, I also came to the conclusion that if I bought new and kept the car for a longer period, the practicalities and economics were not that different. That is on the proviso that I could pay for the car up front, and not be saddled with high interest rates - remember the days of 19% home mortgage rates anyone?

Then I was given some valuable advice from a car salesman, who became a friend, on the best buying situations. When salary sacrifice came along, I started to follow his advice and have been more than pleasantly surprised.

In fact, I have found it possible to continue by buying two new cars for a very good changeover since I ceased working. The depreciation figures that I have seen are always quoted against the list price, not the actual price paid. Granted I only buy V6's, but I have never suffered anything like the "claimed" depreciation.

The last change effectively cost me less than $2K. I may yet do one more change before the VF disappears, but I will keep the last one I own as long as I can.

PS: I must add that having $3K GM discounts was a big part of the picture. With all my credits now gone, the future might not be so good.

Last edited:

Noeleter

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEII Equipe Sportwagon
yesss im sure, I drove the car for near 1 hour, but cant justifie paying near 40k. I drove the VF ss Redline in manual. Yes the handling is good very good and interior good but can feel cheap in someway's. Maybe later down the track wen they drop around 25k-30k I may buy one. I don't want to make the same mistake my friend done (most people) and purchased a new car just because its a new model than regretted it later and wanted to sell it lol.. iv always had holden's and love them but always bought them second hand never new I could not spend that much cash knowing it will drop dramatically in a couple of years..

Asking the original question on the VF forum, most people are going to say the VF is better. If you asked it on the VE forum I'm sure you would get plenty who prefer the VE over the VF. A lot of good things have been added in the VF and a lot taken away. Also many of the new tech can be more annoying than helpful at times. At the end of the day they are both good cars and you choose what you prefer.

dgp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline
Then I was given some valuable advice from a car salesman, who became a friend, on the best buying situations. When salary sacrifice came along, I started to follow his advice and have been more than pleasantly surprised.

So, what was the valuable advice?

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Asking the original question on the VF forum, most people are going to say the VF is better. If you asked it on the VE forum I'm sure you would get plenty who prefer the VE over the VF. A lot of good things have been added in the VF and a lot taken away. Also many of the new tech can be more annoying than helpful at times. At the end of the day they are both good cars and you choose what you prefer.
What's better about a VE, apart from a more pure exterior design & costing less?

daves8

Reaction score
Members Ride
2015 VF Calais V 6.0 | 2013 VF Calais V V6 Wagon
I know 3 people who bought purely cause it is the last chance to get one. Holden should of done this on the VE as a marketing ploy!

I bought the VF Calais (albeit series 1) for a few reasons, but having owned most versions of the Calais over the years I wanted to own one of the last versions. Initially I regretted not waiting for series 2, but not a fan of the wheels or clear tail lights on the series 2 for a Calais, so happy with my series 1.