Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

My VX SS has been dusted off

DarkMatter

Donating Member
Reaction score
Website
www.baytechdesign.com.au
Members Ride
VX SS
Strut Tower crack is a common thing on VT - VZ. If I recall its the seam sealer failing due to the car being too low...
On my old vu ute we re seam sealed it and fitted a strut brace and changed from ultra low back to Low kings......

https://forums.justcommodores.com.au/threads/vt-strut-towers-cracking-advise-please.217478/
Oh that's a relief, I have got new King Springs coming to raise it back to FE2 height and I have also decided to strip her back to bare metal for a respray so will fit a strut brace when I put everything back together.
Are short travel shocks too short for FE2 height? or will I need to buy new longer shocks for the new springs?

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
I have also come to the decision that I might tear the beast down and do a bare metal respray.
Unfortunately there is no vacine for restorers disease, the biggest symptom of this condition is a falling bank balance :p

You'll just have to grit your teeth and bear through it... until the infectious period is done... full recovery will take longer ;)

Last edited:

DarkMatter

Donating Member
Reaction score
Website
www.baytechdesign.com.au
Members Ride
VX SS
So I have been thinking about documenting everything when I move the fuse box and then maybe try and find a solution where I can reproduce the custom wiring looms to sell. I have the time and the electrical skills, but I don't know if there would be a market for them these days? Maybe even a kit to also relocate the ABS module?

DarkMatter

Donating Member
Reaction score
Website
www.baytechdesign.com.au
Members Ride
VX SS
I have been thinking long and hard about where I will put the fuse box from under the bonnet, and I have decided it will be best located in the glove box as it fits perfect. Now, I was going to route the wires back into the cabin from the driver's side but have thought of a way to route them up into where the window wiper motor is and over to the drinker's side and back through the hole where the ECU wires go.

I Will have to cut a nick off the top of this to be able to run the wires to the back of the channel to the other side and also to run the wires for the headlights, ABS and cruise control out the side and over the wheel arch to there new locations.
hi4.jpg

Can anyone see if this will be much of an issue?

Attachments

• hi1.jpeg
    hi1.jpeg
    115.1 KB · Views: 176
  • hi2.jpeg
    hi2.jpeg
    66.8 KB · Views: 172
  • hi3.jpeg
    hi3.jpeg
    96.1 KB · Views: 156

DarkMatter

Donating Member
Reaction score
Website
www.baytechdesign.com.au
Members Ride
VX SS
So I have nearly completed the fuse box relocation, it has been a lot easier than I thought it was going to be :)
The hardest part is trying to find the same colour and gauge wires from my local Autopro.
image0.jpeg

Started to install the box into the glove box, I have added plugs just behind the dash so that if I ever need to take out the interior I don't need to cut the wires. I will be making a wooden surround as well to fill in any gaps the fuse box leaves and then wrap it in grey felt to make it look like it's meant to be there.
IMG_0595.jpg

Attachments

• image2.jpeg
    image2.jpeg
    75.7 KB · Views: 169