Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

My VZ wagon keeps refusing to start!

davo43

Another google mechanic
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Members Ride
VZ Executive Wagon
Ok so I'll start from the start...

The mrs and I bought a VZ executive wagon about a month ago as we needed something bigger and more comfortable to drive across Australia at the end of the year...

We were really happy with it until approximately a week after we bought it when I stopped at the service station. After filling up with fuel, I proceeded to turn the ignition and the car coughed and spluttered and then died. I turned the ignition again and it started but this time it flashed "check powertrain" on the screen.

A few days later, we went to start the car first thing in the morning and nothing happened at all. I turned the ignition off, opened the drivers door, closed it, and tried it again and it started - this time it told me "service vehicle soon" even though it has supposedly been recently serviced...

In total, it has either spluttered and died or refused to start completely approximately half a dozen times in a period of a month... A couple of days ago, it actually started in "safe mode - performance reduced" and didn't respond to the accelerator pedal... I turned the car off, took the key out, opened the drivers door, shut it, and started it and it went fine...

This morning was the first morning I was late to work as it wouldn't start so I need it fixed asap... I'm worried about taking it to the local dealership until I at least have some idea what is wrong as I have heard horror stories about people paying big coin for these kinds of problems without them being fixed...

Anyone have any idea what is wrong with it?? I'm new to commodores so I don't even know where to start or if this sounds familiar to anyone??

Cheers in advance!

Paytz

Reaction score
Members Ride
'05 VZ Exec
I'm assuming you bought the vehicle from a dealership here?

You should get a 3 month warranty standard when you purchase a car. or your new car warranty should still be in effect so repairs should be done free

davo43

Another google mechanic
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Members Ride
VZ Executive Wagon
Yeah but it was secondhand and didn't come with a warranty... They offered us a warranty at extra cost but we declined :cry:

It's a late 2004 model so I'm pretty sure it's out of factory warranty by now??

88GreenVN

Next Exit Left
Reaction score
Members Ride
Dodge Ram Van 1500 5.2 V8
Yeah but it was secondhand and didn't come with a warranty... They offered us a warranty at extra cost but we declined :cry:

It's a late 2004 model so I'm pretty sure it's out of factory warranty by now??

Should still have 3 months warranty.

88GreenVN

Next Exit Left
Reaction score
Members Ride
Anyway the only option is to take it to a Holden dealer/ larger mechanical shop and get a Tech 2 scan done on the VZ.

This scan can be done in about 10 mins (seen it done in front of me with my 05 VZ last week).

This will tell you what sensor or control module is catus.

davo43

Another google mechanic
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Members Ride
VZ Executive Wagon
Anyway the only option is to take it to a Holden dealer/ larger mechanical shop and get a Tech 2 scan done on the VZ.

This scan can be done in about 10 mins (seen it done in front of me with my 05 VZ last week).

This will tell you what sensor or control module is catus.

Is this exxy and is it always accurate? Cheers :thumbsup:

88GreenVN

Next Exit Left
Reaction score
Members Ride
Is this exxy and is it always accurate? Cheers :thumbsup:

Most places will slug you $50 to scan the car and tell you they will need half hour or so to do the scan. This will justify the cost to you.

A local mechanical shop may have the scan tool and do it for you there and then as my mech did.

He found a oil pressure sensor was not working properly and got a seconhand part (new on back order and some time away) Charged me $78.00 to to the fix.

Holdens would be more than this I'm sure + add any replacement parts needed. Just depends on who is closest to you.

Benboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 SVZ Wagon
Ok so I'll start from the start...

The mrs and I bought a VZ executive wagon about a month ago as we needed something bigger and more comfortable to drive across Australia at the end of the year...

We were really happy with it until approximately a week after we bought it when I stopped at the service station. After filling up with fuel, I proceeded to turn the ignition and the car coughed and spluttered and then died. I turned the ignition again and it started but this time it flashed "check powertrain" on the screen.

A few days later, we went to start the car first thing in the morning and nothing happened at all. I turned the ignition off, opened the drivers door, closed it, and tried it again and it started - this time it told me "service vehicle soon" even though it has supposedly been recently serviced...

In total, it has either spluttered and died or refused to start completely approximately half a dozen times in a period of a month... A couple of days ago, it actually started in "safe mode - performance reduced" and didn't respond to the accelerator pedal... I turned the car off, took the key out, opened the drivers door, shut it, and started it and it went fine...

This morning was the first morning I was late to work as it wouldn't start so I need it fixed asap... I'm worried about taking it to the local dealership until I at least have some idea what is wrong as I have heard horror stories about people paying big coin for these kinds of problems without them being fixed...

Anyone have any idea what is wrong with it?? I'm new to commodores so I don't even know where to start or if this sounds familiar to anyone??

Cheers in advance!

Tasmanian Consumer Affairs and Fair Trading state on their website......

'If a vehicle has travelled less than 120,000 kms and is less than 7 years old, the trader must give a written warranty. The warranty period is 3 months or 3,000 kilometres, whichever comes first. '

helmsy

Just Wagon
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Acclaim Wagon
Mine (05 VZ Wagon) had similar problems after I had some exhaust work done when I first bought it. Turned out the exhaust guys didn't reattach one of the knock sensors and the ECU was freaking out.

When I found this out we also found the engine earth was loose and the bolt had almost fallen out (must have come from the factory loose). Might also be a oxy sensor.

Best way would be to get your dealer to find out what is wrong then you can always fix it yourself or get them to.

So it may pay to check your battery and earthing (engine) and also that no wires have come loose around the engine sensors, etc..

You did put the right fuel in didn't you?? :D