Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

My VZ wagon keeps refusing to start!

davo43

Another google mechanic
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Members Ride
VZ Executive Wagon
Tasmanian Consumer Affairs and Fair Trading state on their website......

'If a vehicle has travelled less than 120,000 kms and is less than 7 years old, the trader must give a written warranty. The warranty period is 3 months or 3,000 kilometres, whichever comes first. '

It's done 145,000kms which would make it exempt??

Mine (05 VZ Wagon) had similar problems after I had some exhaust work done when I first bought it. Turned out the exhaust guys didn't reattach one of the knock sensors and the ECU was freaking out.

When I found this out we also found the engine earth was loose and the bolt had almost fallen out (must have come from the factory loose). Might also be a oxy sensor.

Best way would be to get your dealer to find out what is wrong then you can always fix it yourself or get them to.

So it may pay to check your battery and earthing (engine) and also that no wires have come loose around the engine sensors, etc..

You did put the right fuel in didn't you?? :D

Where are the engine earth, knock sensors and oxygen sensor?? It will be getting on dark by the time I get chance to take a look 2nite so I'd like to be looking in the right places...

Oh and very funny about the fuel :p

Paytz

Reaction score
Members Ride
'05 VZ Exec
Yep 145k that'll do it, warranty fanito.:thumbsup:

I thought regardless od Kms they had to supply a three month warranty
Granted mine had 58000 on the clock when i bought it and i had issues that were fixed under that 3 month warranty.

davo43

Another google mechanic
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Members Ride
VZ Executive Wagon
hopefully its a cheap easy fix, but could it have something to do with immobilizer, with the fuel spluttering blocked fuel filter? dirty injectors? failing injectors? hopefully they find/sort out the problem for you and don't charge over the moon

Amen to that! I'm worried they'll spend big coin without consulting me... There will be no-one there to talk to when I drop the car off too :(

davo43

Another google mechanic
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Members Ride
VZ Executive Wagon
Ok, so I just got a call from Holden... Apparently it was some "engine relay" or some such crap... 120 bucks... I asked them if there was anything else wrong with it and they assured me there wasn't...

Call me cynical but fifty bucks says that if I take it to my regular mechanic he will find something else wrong with it... It's idling terribly low for a start...

davo43

Another google mechanic
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Members Ride
VZ Executive Wagon
Update: I was late to work this morning because the car wouldn't start! They had the car in the workshop for a grand total of half an hour and the monkeys didn't even check all the things we asked to have checked! I am not happy at all! :bang:

88GreenVN

Next Exit Left
Reaction score
Members Ride
Dodge Ram Van 1500 5.2 V8
Holden dealer? = Fail!! (it was a Holden dealer you took the car to) They should have scanned it with a tech2 tool to see any codes had bee logged.

davo43

Another google mechanic
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Members Ride
VZ Executive Wagon
Holden dealer? = Fail!! (it was a Holden dealer you took the car to) They should have scanned it with a tech2 tool to see any codes had bee logged.

Apparently they did! But rather than actually test the components, they just replaced the first thing that came to mind and charged me 120 for the luxury... This isn't over... It's booked in again tomorrow and I will be making it quite clear that the 120 is coming off the total! I'm not paying for a part that wasn't needed to start with...

Yeah it was a Holden dealer... I am still yet to see a mechanic older than their mid-20s in that place... If they're the apprentices, where are the qualified workers??

davo43

Another google mechanic
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Members Ride
VZ Executive Wagon
Finally a resolution!

After actually looking at it properly, they replaced the key sensor and it hasn't failed to start since! Both front brake pads were cracked and because they were near new they were replaced free of charge :)

Didn't cost us a cent and they even washed the car :wax: