Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

MYLINK, Map updates for a 2013 MY14 Caprice V

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
Please connect to a wi-fi network/check for updates/updates available/select install updates/update complete
How easy could that have been

expecting that from a 2013 car (based on a 2006 car) is ridiculous. What other cars released at that time have what you are talking about?

name one.

kleanphil

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS-V SII Sportwagon
expecting that from a 2013 car (based on a 2006 car) is ridiculous. What other cars released at that time have what you are talking about?

name one.

I did actually delete " for a VF11 " from that post as I didn't feel it was relevant . The point is that this tech has been around for a while now and wonder why it hasn't broadly been adopted by car manufacturers as a whole. You could even add payment options with sms confirmation depending on what type of update is available firmware/maps

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
I work in IT, so the answer is yah.

The answer is also i've seen how many ppl stuff it up.
Some people can't tie their shoe laces but that doesn't mean we'd have vecro bands on all shoes :p

Poor analogy maybe but you should be able to work out the gist.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
... this tech has been around for a while now and wonder why it hasn't broadly been adopted by car manufacturers as a whole...
It's all because the manufacturers try to tie you to their service agents while also expecting you to buy a new car every few years. As such they will use every trick in their arsenal to achieve their end goals.

Such games include but are not limited to the same bullshi.t games Apple plays by slowing down old phones to encourage new sales. So next time you service your car and it purs like a kitten, ask yourself how much Apple was in the oil :rolleyes::p

The fact you own the product and may want to modify it as you desire has become a foreign concept to manufacturers and something rather galling to their plans of global domination and designed obsolescence. It's a world driven by greed and control which shouldn't be excused under the guise of worrying about the customer not being able to press a few buttns to initiate an update ;)

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
name one.

Mazda. They provided updates for the maps on my son's 2014 Mazda 3 during the warranty period for free. He just had to log into a web site, dowload the latest update to an SD card, and load it into the car. After the warranty period (three years) expired the download became chargeable.

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
Mazda. They provided updates for the maps on my son's 2014 Mazda 3 during the warranty period for free. He just had to log into a web site, dowload the latest update to an SD card, and load it into the car. After the warranty period (three years) expired the download became chargeable.

so no wireless update?

426Cuda

SUBLIME!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline Sedan - A6 Spitfire MSE...
I work in IT, so the answer is yah.

The answer is also i've seen how many ppl stuff it up.
My dealer stuffed it up on my Redline. Bricked the whole Mylink system. Had to be replaced. At their cost of course. The car was only a few months old at the time...

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
My dealer stuffed it up on my Redline. Bricked the whole Mylink system. Had to be replaced. At their cost of course. The car was only a few months old at the time...
Hahaha, probably the process was too difficult and poorly documented for even a dealer to safely jump through the restrictive systems Holden put in place... Massive fail whichever way you look at it.

Poor old Dad

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII Calais V
probably the process was too difficult and poorly documented for even a dealer to safely jump through the restrictive systems Holden put in place

Yeah, in 2018 I asked my usual dealer to arrange a map update. They told me there wasn't one but I knew from reading in here that there was.

Asked him to check. Nope, no update available.

Called in at another dealer. Yep, there is one but I'd need to book in and leave the car all day as the system was problematical (or they were inept, or both).

In the event they called me a couple of hours after drop off and job was done.

My wife's car receives free map updates with a dealer service. Obviously not a Holden :(

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride

now imagine a consumer doing it, fact is this is what GM had at the time - and the system as it is is actually pretty good. Android Auto and Carplay didn't exist when they built the system and while some manufacturers had the coin to drop on getting new stuff in there GM chose not to. I'm honestly happy with the MyLink as it is. It works, does everything it's supposed to - not market leading? Probably not, but it's a hell of a lot better than what came before it in the VE which realistically is the same generation. Jump up a generation too and there's improvement across the board - once again a selling point for the new vehicle.