Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

MYLINK, Map updates for a 2013 MY14 Caprice V

Anthony121

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline MY17 & VF Director
now imagine a consumer doing it, fact is this is what GM had at the time - and the system as it is is actually pretty good. Android Auto and Carplay didn't exist when they built the system and while some manufacturers had the coin to drop on getting new stuff in there GM chose not to. I'm honestly happy with the MyLink as it is. It works, does everything it's supposed to - not market leading? Probably not, but it's a hell of a lot better than what came before it in the VE which realistically is the same generation. Jump up a generation too and there's improvement across the board - once again a selling point for the new vehicle.

The VE series 2 was rushed into the series 2. The cars went into production and the units were not ready.

MyLink is actually good. Some features are better on the VF unit compared to later versions. I wish it had Apple car play.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
now imagine a consumer doing it, fact is this is what GM had at the time - and the system as it is is actually pretty good...
I think the system is not good from any updating perspective, especially if a dealer can’t easily do it...

I had it done to my Motorsport on first service (2017) and it took them two days as they had issues with downloads... Maybe they were just incompetent, I don’t know... but two days?

Simply put, Holden chose to implement a crapy MyLink firmware and map update process that does no service to owners. As someone in IT, and especially if your into software development, you should appreciate the fact that poor design and especially poor update mechanisms are a pain in the rear for all involved. Such processes should be PHD (press here dummy) based, not convoluted and complex.

Even well before 2013, almost all industries knew how to implement decent firmware and firmware update routines. GM simply couldn’t make up its mind which way to go and how to do things so they made a dogs breakfast of the firmware update process.

AA/ACP, another issue entirely ;)

426Cuda

SUBLIME!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline Sedan - A6 Spitfire MSE...
now imagine a consumer doing it, fact is this is what GM had at the time - and the system as it is is actually pretty good. Android Auto and Carplay didn't exist when they built the system and while some manufacturers had the coin to drop on getting new stuff in there GM chose not to. I'm honestly happy with the MyLink as it is. It works, does everything it's supposed to - not market leading? Probably not, but it's a hell of a lot better than what came before it in the VE which realistically is the same generation. Jump up a generation too and there's improvement across the board - once again a selling point for the new vehicle.
I couldn't agree more. I really like Mylink. My Wife's car has Apple Car Play and Android Auto. Meh. It's no big deal. Mylink does everything I want it to. And for a standard system, with the Bose speakers in the Redline and MSE it sounds great to me. I also prefer the look of Mylink over the unit in My Wife's Astra.
Crap Firmware? IDK. Mine has never ler me down in almost 7 years. I blame the dealership for damaging my unit.

Last edited:

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
It's all because the manufacturers try to tie you to their service agents while also expecting you to buy a new car every few years. As such they will use every trick in their arsenal to achieve their end goals.

Such games include but are not limited to the same bullshi.t games Apple plays by slowing down old phones to encourage new sales. So next time you service your car and it purs like a kitten, ask yourself how much Apple was in the oil :rolleyes::p

The fact you own the product and may want to modify it as you desire has become a foreign concept to manufacturers and something rather galling to their plans of global domination and designed obsolescence. It's a world driven by greed and control which shouldn't be excused under the guise of worrying about the customer not being able to press a few buttns to initiate an update ;)

That’s it. I’m going to listen to some RATM.

Loud.

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
I couldn't agree more. I really like Mylink. My Wife's car has Apple Car Play and Android Auto. Meh. It's no big deal. Mylink does everything I want it to. And for a standard system, with the Bose speakers in the Redline and MSE it sounds great to me. I also prefer the look of Mylink over the unit in My Wife's Astra.
Crap Firmware? IDK. Mine has never ler me down in almost 7 years. I blame the dealership for damaging my unit.
Yours doesn't occasionally reboot itself, or just stop working & then not come back until you turn the car off & on?
You're lucky then, that's a common problem.
Also the touch screen is slooooow with no feedback. Push a virtual-button & wait half an hour to see whether your push was registered or not ...

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
Yours doesn't occasionally reboot itself, or just stop working & then not come back until you turn the car off & on?
Also the touch screen is slooooow with no feedback. Push a virtual-button & wait half an hour to see whether your push was registered or not ...

i occasionally have some lag but it's pretty infrequent and normally in the navigation. no crashes yet.

one thing i love is that a long press on the steering wheel dial button bypasses mylink lady and goes straight to ok google which i have setup on my phone! excellent for sms while driving.

Anthony121

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline MY17 & VF Director

My Calais used to turn off randomly but that was due to one of the CD's i had in the CD player. The Redline turned off a few times and the dealer reset to factory settings. The MyLink has never turned off again.

426Cuda

SUBLIME!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline Sedan - A6 Spitfire MSE...
Once or twice before the dealer nuked it.
I don't use the touchscreen much for calls etc. Prefer wheel controls and voice command. Music is always spotify. It does it's job.

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride
WN Caprice V 6.0L, VE Anniversity V6 Series 1
Well I will keep you all informed as the car goes in on Monday next week.
Well I just came back from the Holden Dealer (not so stealers as I Paid less for the Mylink and the Map update than other dealers want to charge) Yes I got back but only a Mylink update and not the Maps. At least now I have the reversing Grids but cant find the School warnings as what is stated in my Holden Factory Manual in the book that come with the car.
Now I have to wait until this Friday or Monday (more Covid-19 panic) until Holden supplies the Map for my Vin via a usb or whatever.

Tell me guys I have noticed in my receipt (paid for the Mylink and Map today) in my receipt it has the Map update as Version 17 so whats version 17 "eg" 2016, 17 or 18. Cant be 2019 as Holden is not that good.

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
If the school warnings is the same functionality as the red-light warnings; there was a typo in the manual for Australia, that functionality wasn't put into the AU version of MyLink until Series II. And you can't just install the latest software to enable it, you need someone such as (I think?) @TazzI (?unsure if that's correct?) to hack into it in order to enable the functionality.

I tried to pay the Holden dealer for a map update, told them over the 'phone I would pay for it & to please install it while doing the steering recall & to book it in. Apparently they SHOULD have told me to pre-order it from Holden via some website or other, or at least that's what they told me when I tried to pay upon pickup & they then looked confused about it ...