Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Naviplus VF2 AppleCar Play/Android Auto Install guide

kleanphil

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS-V SII Sportwagon
Ok , after a marathon week of trying to get my phone to work , the guys at Naviplus concluded my Kogan Agora 8 Plus wasn't compatible with there system . I had the chance to try an Iphone which worked immediately but because of the recent rain it was a week before I got back to work and get to use a Samsung Galaxy to confirm the system was working correctly.
Because my phone wasn't compatible I had asked for a refund which they did offer me , but I insisted that I wanted this system to work they offered me a $200 refund so I could purchase a new phone that did work , so I took there offer , which was good because I had put some scratches on there boxes and even broke a wire on one of the plugs due to relocating and trying to work out why it wasn't working , I had it repaired but no longer looked factory , so to avoid any conflict if I returned it there offer worked out really good .

So to the guide , Naviplus do offer a guide that shows where to connect all the wires but offers little to where to locate there boxes and wiring so after a week of naffing around with it I worked out the best spot to put them . I had initially put them just to the sides of the screen in the dash, one box each side , jammed in where the aircon vents attach , but there was little room for all the wires and even less to manipulate them to check settings ect . So I eventually worked out the best spot was just up inside the centre console on the passenger side . Sorry for the bad photo , but what is important is the general idea , just be sure to remove the panel that runs along the centre console on that side , just pull out from the farthest end .
IMG_20181018_112118.jpg

There are 7 wires in all that need to be connected under the centre console and behind the dash .
Firstly are the 2 power harnesses , 1 for each box . Connect these up to the cigarette plug , Once you have all the audio , screen and aircon controls removed , remove the lighter plug , it just pushes out with a bit of sideways action , connect all your power to this , including the yellow main power wire , unless you want to try and find the main power to the audio box and connect it to that . Sorry , didn't take a photo of the lighter plug connection but black is negative :rolleyes:
Secondly , Now be aware that one of the power harnesses only as red and black wires and a white one , this white wire needs to be attached to a green wire in the main power to the audio box and is high lighted in the Naviplus instructions . I only point this out as it needs to be routed slightly different , up through the square hole .
IMG_20181012_091231.jpg

Fourthly and fifthly are the GVIF plugs that connect to the blue plug picture above and the rear of the audio box "AND NOT THE BLUE ONES IN THE REAR OF SCREEN" There happens to be identical plugs in both the audio box and the radio/screen . Both of these can be dropped down through the convenient opening to the left of the audio box .

Sixthly :D They supply another bypass harness that plugs into the large grey in and out plugs and one I think goes to the CAN1 socket just drop this wire through the square hole .
IMG_20181018_111236.jpg

Sorry for the ambient green light , it doesn't help but you can see where I fed the wires through the square hole to the left , just be sure to hold them clear of the audio box when you put it back in .

and finally Seventhly :p they supply a AUX/USB box you can see between the 2 main boxes , it has a USB cord that needs to plug into the USB in the centre console . What I did was to remove the USB fitting , then with a 5mm drill bit use the shaft of the bit to cut a small groove in the top of the opening to allow the cord to come out just above the USB plug , use the angled USB end to connect to this . Only make this groove the width of the bit so the cord fits snuggly in it , don't get carried away
IMG_20181019_173149.jpg

They also supply a microphone , this I ran up inside the dash , along under the left hand dash panel/cover , up the window pillar behind the rubber , along the headliner and popped out the light and put it on the opposite side of the factory one , I wrapped some Velcro around it till it was fat enough to fit snuggly in the hole , make sure you start from the interior light back to the unit
IMG_20181021_081718.jpg

OH and finally the USB phone cord ,they recommend the one that came with your phone , this connects the the white USB box , just drop this through the square hole just above the cigarette socket power supply . I purchased a 3 way USB that is micro USB but has a USB-C and an Iphone lightning adapter plug's from Office works to make most phone's compatible , I had asked about putting a USB box to plug into but apparently this can cause issues , that doesn't mean it wont work but do it at your peril .:cool:

Sorry that this is more of a narrative rather than plain directions , I just hope its a good read and helpful to some one .:)

Finally I would like to thank the guys at Naviplus for there patience in dealing with me and there offer to help pay for a new phone , phew time for a beer :D

LOL OK , so after my beer I realised that I didn't give a place to put them , NO !! don't just leave them on the floor , put them up under the centre console and replace the panel you removed initially , I strongly sugest you use some tape and tape all the wires securely to the boxes before you put the boxes up into the centre console to ensure nothing gets broken or unplugged :rolleyes:

Attachments

• IMG_20181018_112118.jpg
    IMG_20181018_112118.jpg
    404.1 KB · Views: 260
Last edited:

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
Good to see its working.

Those boxes look almost identical to the korean hd link ones.
I wonder if it is the same company trading under a different name.

sequal

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SSV
You've peaked my interest, I'm going to look into this.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Now it's just to hear of your experiances using the 'improved' system and what other capabilities it can give you above and beyond what MyLink does :)

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
Now it's just to hear of your experiances using the 'improved' system and what other capabilities it can give you above and beyond what MyLink does :)

most of the problems with this type of system are all in the android box, the interface box is normally pretty solid.

the interface box is the IU10S and it will be pretty good.
the android box from what I can see on their website is the "NA-Link" and they list it as android 5 so the closest I can find is the A-Link

so the android box will probably have
a 1.6ghz cortex a53
2gb ram
android 5.1.1

the ram is low but probably ok for most simple apps for an indash unit but it could lag while using memory intensive apps
the cpu isn't the best but again it should handle most tasks thrown at it.
android 5(lollipop) is pretty old and is almost on the cut off line for a lot of apps because a lot of the features that are available in api28 are not available in api22 and its hard to make some of them backwards compatible.
normally android 4.0(api14) is where a lot of support stops.
I built this video player to run on my nvidia shield tv but also made it backwards compatible with my old Chinese android based headunit in another vehicle because its hard to find a simple video player that will just play a folder of video files from start to finish :(

the only concern I would have with the whole system is you probably wont be able to update it past android 5.1, they might get to 6 but if you are just using it for navigation and music it shouldn't be all that bad.
I would remove any bloatware that comes with it to free up space and if it was my personal unit I would try and get su and twrp installed

kleanphil

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS-V SII Sportwagon
most of the problems with this type of system are all in the android box, the interface box is normally pretty solid.

the interface box is the IU10S and it will be pretty good.
the android box from what I can see on their website is the "NA-Link" and they list it as android 5 so the closest I can find is the A-Link

so the android box will probably have
a 1.6ghz cortex a53
2gb ram
android 5.1.1

the ram is low but probably ok for most simple apps for an indash unit but it could lag while using memory intensive apps
the cpu isn't the best but again it should handle most tasks thrown at it.
android 5(lollipop) is pretty old and is almost on the cut off line for a lot of apps because a lot of the features that are available in api28 are not available in api22 and its hard to make some of them backwards compatible.
normally android 4.0(api14) is where a lot of support stops.
I built this video player to run on my nvidia shield tv but also made it backwards compatible with my old Chinese android based headunit in another vehicle because its hard to find a simple video player that will just play a folder of video files from start to finish :(

the only concern I would have with the whole system is you probably wont be able to update it past android 5.1, they might get to 6 but if you are just using it for navigation and music it shouldn't be all that bad.
I would remove any bloatware that comes with it to free up space and if it was my personal unit I would try and get su and twrp installed

These are what are installed on the unit
IMG_20181013_153334.jpg

Ive already had to learn how to install using the file explorer , but not how to uninstall . What is su and twrp ? it has a wifi antenna also but it has been disabled ?

EDIT : from memory I think it also had a gps antenna , so I imagine this is basically the same unit they would use for there navimaps upgrade with a map app installed on the box ?

Last edited:

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
Su is the super user binary and twrp is a custom recovery.
They basically allow root access and allow you to do things that are normally blocked like install or remove system apps and other things.

To remove apps you can go into the settings and look for apps then find the app you want to remove and tap uninstall.
Some apps wont let you uninstall them because they are loaded as system apps.

And dont remove anything if you are not sure what it does as some apps are there for a reason.
From the picture you posted it looks pretty bloatware free so i wouldnt worry too much about removing anything.

You might be able to enable wifi in the settings normally its found in something like connections.

kleanphil

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS-V SII Sportwagon
Hi yes I worked out how to uninstall apps , the only app to uninstall is the Auto Play that runs the Apple CarPlay/Android system , here
IMG_20181020_193921.jpg

and a quick google showed me what twrp was , su would be to uninstall those extra apps . These are the setting for the Auto Play if your interested .
IMG_20181020_193956.jpg

EDIT : I assumed one of the DIN switches would turn on the wifi

Last edited: