Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

New 18" Rims on 97Calais, "LOW TRAC" Keeps Activating

nathanVY

such boost
Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 VY LS1 Turbo Calais, 2005 4Gen Liberty Wagon
No. Can unbalanced wheels cause these traction issues?

Potentially, if they are really out of balance they will shake around heaps but you should notice that through your steering/driveline etc. Get someone to drive behind you and see if your wheels are shakin around heaps or not.

Darcon666

Evil is always around you
Reaction score
Website
www.gfy.com
Members Ride
Your Mother
Ummmm....We are talking about the traction control that is only applied to the rear wheels ONLY... This should be OK as there is more than enough room in the rear(width wise...) for quite wide tyres provided the offset is OK.

As for the front.... My guess it's your tyre size as previously mentioned + the rim offset & the camber on the front wheels(not more than 1deg, negative).

ryda921

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT executive
I still hear a creaking noise but only when turning in a tight U-Turn. Normal steering is ok but this cant be very good.

that clicking will more than likely be your front sway bars get them replaced
mine started off like that and just got worse after i changed them it was all good

aceslick911

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Callais 97
Ok so I switched back to the Stock Calais rims and drove for a bit, everything was perfect. Traction shut the hell up and I was able to cruise in peace.

When I had the two wheels next to each other they looked like the similar height/diameter. I dont think that was the issue, it was probably the width of the wheels that was causing the issues:
Stock calais: 215/600R16 99H
New Rims/Tyres: 245/45R18 96W

I've already sold the custom rims (they go that quick! got a bit of a profit off it too so no big loss, the calais rims look fine anyway)

So just a caution to any commodore/calais drivers out there wanting to get custom rims, i think 18" size is fine but you need to get an appropriate width or else you may have Traction control and U-Turn issues like I did.

Thanks everyone for your input. If I ever meet you fellas I'd buy you all a beer.

Cheers.

11gothevt11

Reaction score
Members Ride
99 VT Sedan
Ok so I switched back to the Stock Calais rims and drove for a bit, everything was perfect. Traction shut the hell up and I was able to cruise in peace.

When I had the two wheels next to each other they looked like the similar height/diameter. I dont think that was the issue, it was probably the width of the wheels that was causing the issues:
Stock calais: 215/600R16 99H
New Rims/Tyres: 245/45R18 96W

I've already sold the custom rims (they go that quick! got a bit of a profit off it too so no big loss, the calais rims look fine anyway)

So just a caution to any commodore/calais drivers out there wanting to get custom rims, i think 18" size is fine but you need to get an appropriate width or else you may have Traction control and U-Turn issues like I did.

Thanks everyone for your input. If I ever meet you fellas I'd buy you all a beer.

Cheers.

Glad it all worked out in the end
I still don't think its the tyre size to blame as i had 245/45/18 on my rear for ages i never had such a issue
Maybe the offset is to blame
But who will ever know ??

RiCeY

F O R U M W A R R I O R
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 6spd 6.0 430rwhp
Rim/tyre size and width should make no difference as long as the rolling diameter on all 4 is equal.

Traction control uses wheel speed sensors on all 4 wheels to determine if traction is being broken at a particular corner/s.

Unless the tyres were shocking quality cheapies like triangles or ling longs there shouldnt be an issue.

On another note 29psi is way too low for any tyre, especially low profile. Safe pressure for 18s is around 36-38psi.

aceslick911

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Callais 97
Glad it all worked out in the end
I still don't think its the tyre size to blame as i had 245/45/18 on my rear for ages i never had such a issue
Maybe the offset is to blame
But who will ever know ??

Well i had that spec for the fronts too. Which caused the grinding but who the hell knows what was up with the traction control issues.. might have been the rims or somethin..

aceslick911

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Callais 97
Rim/tyre size and width should make no difference as long as the rolling diameter on all 4 is equal.

Traction control uses wheel speed sensors on all 4 wheels to determine if traction is being broken at a particular corner/s.

Unless the tyres were shocking quality cheapies like triangles or ling longs there shouldnt be an issue.

On another note 29psi is way too low for any tyre, especially low profile. Safe pressure for 18s is around 36-38psi.

I dunno mate. Tires were good. Pirelli, quite fresh too. Might just be one of those things..

Darcon666

Evil is always around you
Reaction score
Website
www.gfy.com
Members Ride
Your Mother
Traction control uses wheel speed sensors on all 4 wheels to determine if traction is being broken at a particular corner/s........

Ummmm, I could be wrong but are you sure that it's on all 4 wheels for this spec vehicle(VT S1 Calais...) reason is... that it would be called "Stability control" not just "Traction Control" and that would mean that from the VX onwards, Holden have gone backwards.

P.S That is until ESC "Electronic Stability Control" was introduced in the VZ Berlina model.

Last edited:

oska

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx custom 600RR
i think traction control does sense the 4 wheels but it's different from ESC

anyway 29 psi is what holden recommends 38 is too way much and, you should of gotten the wheels balanced would of fixed your problem