Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

New front brakes

PlenumBiscuit

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Commodore
My mechanics being non responsive.

My vy executive probably needs new front brake rotors and whilst im there probably pads

I can probably do it myself but i dont have a cement driveway or car stands, but seeing hes being a pain im leaning towards getting car stands and doing this myself without the hoist

Its pretty straight forward hey i will just need the red bottle of brake pad grease stuff as well?

I wont have to bleed the brakes on this model will i? They do themselves sort of?

2 rotors
Pads
Red stuff
Car stands (gumtree)

Best place to buy these?

Anything else im missing

Rotors dont have to be on the lathe when theyre brand new do they?

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Well No, you don't need to machine new rotors out of the box. Imagine doing that lol.
Sounds like you need to look out for a Repco sale. Sometimes you see good deals on brakes on eBay but there is a lot of no name crap on there too that I wouldn't touch if you paid me.

rambunctious

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive Wagon
Repco/ Bursons/ Autobarn etc for the bits.
You will need to wash the discs with petrol or degreaser to remove the oil coat before fitting them.
Also need either a pad seperator although I use a small G clamp.
Be sure to lift the master cylinder cap off before you spread the pads back.
There is sure to be a "how to" on here somewhere.
Brakes are something you should not stuff with if you don't have the knowledge.

PlenumBiscuit

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Commodore
Thanks yea i worked for him last year i put lots of brakes on peoples cars with his supervision

Yea repco had TRW rotors last week for 30% off $51 each thats why i asked him and he ignored me

Hey yea the g-clamp bit forgot that. Good work thanks

Saw i nice set of rotors on gumtree for VT they were those special rotors with the grooves in them. Do they need special pads too lol

greenacc

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
You would of probably been better off with the TRW ones but slotted ones use normal pads not 'special' pads.
Repco will have another 30% off sale soon, maybe this weekend if there's not a new catalog out by then;)

What kind of mechanic doesn't want to fit a set of brakes?

PlenumBiscuit

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Commodore
He probably figures he wont charge me labour and will make me do them and so not much profit in it for him. Plus probably busy and a bit bitter that i walked out on him. Hes quite rude grumpy old man lol

Theres a set of car stands on gumtree that says...

Near new auto support stands never used.made/distributed by G T car accessories Victoria safe working load 1000kg under half purchase price

Commodores are heavier than 1000kg though arent they?

greenacc

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Yes but if you are doing 1 corner at a time how much does 1 corner of your car weigh?

PlenumBiscuit

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Commodore
Yes but if you are doing 1 corner at a time how much does 1 corner of your car weigh?

thanks and still good if both fronts are on the stands hey lol

super cheap have these 3000kgs for $45, gumtree has these 1000kgs yellow ones for $20.

talk me into which one is best to get :) and im not rich lately

324012-zoom.jpg
$_20.jpg

greenacc

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
I like the red ones but I wonder if they're too tall? You'd need to jack the car up pretty high to get them under it.
Most stands these days have useless V notch shaped tops that don't fit your cross member or chassis rails so think about that too.

zoenryan

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV G8 , VZ Wagon V6, VE Saloon V6 LPG, VX V6
Agree - need to be careful with brakes - Firstly - ensure car is adequately supported on jack stands .
When the calipers come off - tie them up so they are not left hanging on the flex hoses .
One way to retract the caliper pistons (without a spreader) is to put a 1/2 inch socket inside and use a G clamp to wind them back.
Also - you probably will have to bleed them on completion.