Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

new idea, need advice please

VRMan

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Station Wagon
G'day Guys,

A made a bet with a mate that i could take the road to his farm (between Numarella and Jerangle (NSW)) in a commodore, i have a month to buy one (as i no longer have one), and build it to a state where i think it can handle it. ok heres what it needs to be able to do, get accross really bad dirt road (hasnt been graded in 5 years and snow season really messed it up), i think my dads stock VT could do it, but i wouldnt want to risk it. The hardest part though is that it need to be able to go through about 2 foot deep of water in a river crossing (eeeeek).

I was thinking, something like a VN maybe, as they are pretty cheap, it needs to be able to be road registered, what i was wondering though... it is possible to RAISE a commo, i know u can lower them but what about raising them. also is it possible to fit muddies or something to a commo, or should i go stock interceptors or 20's WIDE?

Would i need a snorkle or something?? i doubt it

please give me all the hints you can, and if someone has done this, post some piccies or something please.

Cheers,

Alex

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
possibly a problem with the water crossing, the cas is going to be submerged at that level, don't know it it's going to like that. yu could always fit somesort of 4wd tyres on some ceptors and get some heavy duty standard height springs so it rides higher. not sure, didn't some utes come with that country pack suspension?

14secvp

Reaction score
Members Ride
vp v6 commodore executive
ive driven mine with the bonnet level with the water had too didnt stall or anything as long as you keep the intake above the water no problems or you could do this but that would be cheating i spose

Attachments

• 03_12.jpg
    03_12.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 190

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
Would winning the bet cover the cost of buying a car and then modifying it to do the job? Not a very smart bet. Even if you won, what have you got? Unless you keep it and enter it in a Variety Club bash event in 2009, by then it will be 20 years old if you get an 88 VN.

DANNY8

Yo Coooornflake!
Reaction score
Website
www.kerrbrosracing.com
Members Ride
VK WAGZ 5.0L, GQ Patrol TD42
A local here where I live has a VB wagon. It has a hiace van motor (diesel) and trans(5spd) in it. He moved the spring seats on the front shockies up to lift the whole car up, and to fit 4wd tyres under it. We asked him bout it oneday when we saw him at a hardware shop, and he told us everything he did. There's been heaps of custom fab work (can't remember wat he did to the rear) and overall he said it took him 2 weeks (altho lots of planning beforehand). He did it back in 1985 I think he said, and it's all engineered and approved. He said since he's put the diesel motor in, the odometer is on it's second cylce through the k's. It's currently on 800,000k's (in the 800's), which is the second time it's been there. He said the car has been everywhere except on it's roof. He said he's thinkin bout selling it soon, we asked him how much for and he said only a few hundred coz it wouldn't be worth much these days.

GOTMYN

Stab it and Steer...
Reaction score
Members Ride
Whippled 5.7, VE SV6, GU Patrol 3.0DI
VB or VC..

Buy a Clapped out 253 VB or VC, Make sure it has a tight LSD and good treaded rear tyres, They go anywhere!! Tough as they come!!
When you get to the river crossing section, Wrap the front of the car up with a tarp, Cover grill, headlights and everything on the front serface of the car this will deflect the water and stop the it entering the engine bay, make sure you remove it straight after as it will get hot very quick if you dont!!

Oh yeh, take a camera and get plenty of footage for us all to see!!

VRMan

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Station Wagon
i got that VN today its a 90 model, im hoping that after i win this competition ill just keep using the car, it looks to be a good solid car, its missing some stuff like passengers door trim and roofling (any ideas on where to get some... wreckers???), but its running and registered, i just gotta get it checked (which means ill probably need the door trims and what not. It WILL be my bush mobile when its done. Ill make a snorkle for it, so that i dont get water in the intake and ill properly seal the dizzy, coil, spark leads and all that. should be good, how many people want pictures of its current state? AS for the suggestion for the country kit, ive thought about this, yes its a good idea, and yes it came standard on some VN sedans. if im correct i should have enough clearance from the springs to install BF goodrich all terrains or something.

VRMan

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Station Wagon
my project is going well so far, ive put bigger springs in it (this raised the arse end a little bit, but didnt effect the front much) ive changed all the bushes and stuff, they were all buggered, changed front rotors and put bendix ultimate pads in the front (back was fine), in a week or two im getting new shockies put in (Bilsteins), my power steering is leaking like nothing else, but ill just keep topping it up until it poops itself, then ill get a new rack, pump and hoses and all that. Thinking of putting a snorkle on it, but i dont know if anyone custom makes them or whether ill have to make one from PVC, my biggest issue is that i will have to run it pretty much to where to box is now and then out the gaurd and up the side but thats getting long and what not... will it effect air flow and what not? any other ideas guys?

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
A VS SC or V8 CAI will work just as well, you need to heat the corners and shut the bonnet to mold it to the shape as the VR/VS has a different clearance than the VN.