Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

new idea, need advice please

Morton

For external use only
Reaction score
Members Ride
Fairstar the Funship
Your best bet for a snorkel, would be to run your pipe out of the airbox, through the front guard, then back up the A Pillar. Then seal the airbox and any other gaps shut with sikaflex. Don't worry - when the competition is over, you can replace the airbox and quarter panel with new ones for tuppence. ;)

Make sure you spool the diff so both wheels are bangin', and keep some good ballast in the boot - sandbags? Something to keep you planted ;)

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
This road doesn't sound any worse than the Holden test track, I've seen a picture of a VN being testing down a gravel road with all 4 wheels about 2 foot off the deck :)

defa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Commodore
yeah. i agree. it doesn't sound much at all. 2 foot of water isn't much. me and my brother tried to get through 2 foot of water once when i was a youngster and were doing fine till the 2 foot turned into well over a meter. then we had to walk back about 15 km's to our house.. wasn't too fun. should have taken the bypass track. haha.
if this road is dry ya shoud't have too much trouble. just keep out of wheel ruts so it doesn't bottom out... one thing ya could do is put a strong cover over the sump so ya don't bash that in. then buggering up ya oil pickup. i would be a little worried if there is any dead sand of bad bad mud..
take a can of wd spray with ya. a few steel posts (ya can use them to get your tyres to grip on.)
how many km's are we talking about. and how much is this bet for??

VRMan

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Station Wagon
mate the bet has more turned into something i dont really care about, im just enjoying building it for the bush. ive thought about putting a shield over the sumps and possibly the fuel tank. good idea with sandbags in the boot. The trip is only really about 200ks max and only about 50 of that is really bad. Should be a good trip, i really cant see why i would have much of a problem. Ill take it on more trips out bush sometime though

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
mate the bet has more turned into something i dont really care about, im just enjoying building it for the bush. ive thought about putting a shield over the sumps and possibly the fuel tank. good idea with sandbags in the boot. The trip is only really about 200ks max and only about 50 of that is really bad. Should be a good trip, i really cant see why i would have much of a problem. Ill take it on more trips out bush sometime though

an ex cop car (bt1) we had in the family had a sump gaurd on it, it bolted tothe cross member from memory. i have no idea if these are standard equipment however and i don't know what happened to it either

vn calais manual

Reaction score
Members Ride
vn calais, vs clubsport #137
only 200ks lol ouch. sounds funny though. would be interesting.

defa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Commodore
so what happened with this little venture. did it end up happening