Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

No sound from speakers with amp connected

StoneX

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais-V 6.0L
Remember the longer u have to hold the brakes the hotter they get an hot brakes r ****.
I have to hold the brakes for the same amount when decelerating from 100km/h before and after my engine work... I don't see how upgraded brakes will help me :confused:

If you use your car on a track where there is no speed limits then I see the point of upgrading the brakes or if you're not happy with the stock brakes but engine work has nothing to do with brakes.

xr6eta

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Calais
StoneX, instructions worked to a tee. Got battery fully charged at battery world for free which I was happy with. Hooked everything up and worked instructions to change from sub to rear speakers, music from speakers yahoo. Bit of interference but good enough until after installation. Parked car, locked everything up, came back out this morning, fully charged battery completely flat. The only thing I did prior to locking car up was pulled the wires off the speakers so i could take them inside and work on a mounting template. Has this opened a circuit or something that has drained the power from the battery overnight or does it sound like something wrong somewhere else. Power cable comes from battery wiring through a large fuse and to amp, earth is mounted to metal body with paint ground away for good connection, unit is connected with blue wire so it comes on with stereo, no lights stay on the amp when car/power is turned off. Only thing is I pulled the wires off the rear speakers. All sounds a bit much to me.

StoneX

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais-V 6.0L
Can you turn your head unit on with the key out of the ignition? If so, it's wired wrong and could be draining the battery but a healthy battery should be able to handle that overnight anyway.

If everything in the stereo turns off as it should then I'd say you have an electrical issue elsewhere or a near death battery.

xr6eta

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Calais
Battery was given a very clean bill of health when it was recharged at the shop so am happy it's not that. I'm pretty sure you couldn't turn the head unit on without the accessories on but can't check that now until I get either the battery charged again if it will or a new battery. Will have to report back. Might finish installing the speakers and then take it to someone to check the actual wiring. I made sure I put all new plugs and joiners on all the wiring so very tidy and nothing touching anything it shouldn't.

StoneX

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais-V 6.0L
Speaker wires won't cause your battery to drain and if your power wires were touching anything your fuse would blow. Probably best to go to an auto elec and ask them to check if there is and excessive current draw when your car is off.

xr6eta

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Calais
Apologies for taking so long to get back to this thread, I work very slowly and get very frustrated with how easy a task should be but how difficult I make it. Battery drain problem was the boot light staying on, the original earth for the amp was running to it and when I took it off, obviously I moved the switch so it didn't turn off when the boot shut.
Bottom line, after 2 incredibly frustrating weeks, the 6x9's are in the parcel shelf, not stealth but not bad and they work beautifully when the car is off, start the car and get the usual engine whining quite severely. Have researched a bit and I think the ground I have put it to might not be that good and the earth cable is possibly a bit long as well. I will experiment with this over the next week when I get time off but just wanted to let everyone know that I have appreciated the advice to date and will hopefully have a final follow up on the weekend.
If someone can just confirm for me, I am assuming the original earth that the aftermarket stereo goes to from the original loom is okay because the stereo has worked fine with no noises up until the amp and its earth was installed so as dodgy as this sounds, I will start with the earth at the amp and see how I go.

StoneX

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais-V 6.0L
If you have noise issues, it's best to ground the head unit directly to a definite ground to rule it out as a cause of noise.

xr6eta

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Calais
Thanks StoneX - the latest is, I pulled the amp and wiring out of the boot and into the back of the car where I had a bit more control. I pulled the head deck out and pulled the original ground wire apart and attached the ground wire of the head deck to where the original setup had been as seen in pic. I ground the paint off before so connection was good. I also put the ground lead from the amp into one of the screw mounts for back seat which go into the body of the car, I also ground this area back to bare metal, as seen in pic. None of this had made a difference. As you can see, my ground lead is quite long, 95cms to be exact, is this too long, I don't want to cut it unless someone thinks it will make a difference. Stereo sounds great when car is off through the amp but as soon as accessories or car is turned on, on comes the noise. As always, any advice welcome and appreciated. Glenn.

04082012482.jpg

04082012483.jpg

04082012484.jpg

04082012485.jpg

StoneX

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais-V 6.0L
While the head unit is out do this:

- Get a bit of wire, strip both ends
- Touch one end of the wire to the metal chassis/shell of the head unit
- Touch the other end to the outer metal ring of the RCA plug WHILE IT IS STILL PLUGGED INTO THE HEAD UNIT
- Test if you still have engine noise

This is to check if the internal RCA ground or ground fuse is damaged/blown.

xr6eta

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Calais
StoneX you are de man. Engine noise gone, now you have given me the answer to the problem, can I hit you up for the solution. Is the ground fuse something I can replace or is it just a new set of RCA leads. Thanks for your help with this, I was about to pull out the little bit of hair I have left.