Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

No start

lout

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXii Executive V6 , VYii Adventra LS1
genuine remotes do not have replace-able batteries without butchery

lout

Reaction score
Members Ride
at this stage i think it is beyond forum help
you will need a top notch auto elec to diagnose what is happening
P1632
The ECM receives an incorrect response from the PIM during the theft deterrent security authentication process.
try reading the bcm security code with the vident
then try relinking the pim

Reactions: Lex

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
What about trying a start without the cluster at all.

If I recall, I was able to start mine when doing a cluster swap without any cluster. That goes back a way and I could have that wrong.

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
If you want a skilled technician, I’d bump an email or a phone call to TAT and see if they have a member sort of near by to you.

TAT is a nationwide group of diagnostic technicians that share data and ideas with each other. They create their own tech bulletins as well.

https://www.tat.net.au/

The good thing with them is they are methodical and will post the solution, as well as letting you know the exact cause of the fault.

Baldoldfart

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY
I will try without the cluster this morning and delve deep into the viden. Also will contact TAT. Thanks for everybody's help.

lout

Reaction score
Members Ride
Circuit Description
The engine control module (ECM), the powertrain interface module (PIM) and the body control module (BCM) are integral
part of the vehicle theft deterrent system. The theft deterrent system authenticates the security code programmed into
each of these modules to prevent unauthorised vehicle operation. This authentication process includes the following
steps:
1 At predetermined conditions, the BCM sends a security code to the PIM.
2 When the ignition is switched on, the PIM receives and compares this security code from the BCM against the
security code programmed into the PIM.
3 Once the PIM receives the correct security code from the BCM, it sends a security code to the ECM.
4 The ECM receives and compares this security code from the PIM against the security code programmed into the
ECM.
5 The authentication process is complete once the ECM receives the correct security code from the PIM within the
specified time frame.
6 The ECM allows normal vehicle operation.
NOTE
If any of these authentication processes fail, the
vehicle will not start and DTCs will set. For further
information on the theft deterrent system, refer to
Section 12J Body Control Module.
To aid diagnosis, refer to 2 Wiring Diagrams and Connector Charts for the system wiring diagram and connector charts.

System Operation
The theft deterrent system uses a remote coded key to arm and disarm the system. The remote coded key is also used
to electrically lock or unlock all doors and the rear compartment lid (sedan and wagon) or rear glass liftgate (AWD
wagon).
V6 and GEN IV V8 Engine
When the ignition is turned on, the BCM sends the PIM an encrypted BCM / Key security code. The security code is
received via the slip ring, or the by remote receiver in the event of no slip ring communication. The powertrain interface
module (PIM) sends this encrypted security code to the engine control module (ECM). The ECM compares the received
security code with its own security code, and if valid, the ECM returns an OK to Start message to the BCM via the PIM. If
the BCM does not receive an OK to Start message from the ECM via the PIM within 0.5 second of the ignition ON signal,
the BCM isolates the secondary data bus and a DTC will be set. Refer to 5.8 Diagnostic Trouble Code List.
Isolation of the secondary/tertiary data bus eliminates the possibility of a device failure, other than the BCM and the PIM,
causing a problem on the bus and inhibiting theft deterrent communications. This continues until the ECM responds with
an acknowledgment or for a maximum of 5 seconds, after which the BCM switches to the standard polling sequence.
Following successful anti-theft communications, the BCM begins sequential polling of devices on the bus and normal
system operation is established.
When the ignition is off, the BCM continues to poll, allowing for Tech 2 communications and external control of the bus
prior to the ignition being switched on.

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S1 V6 6 speed Auto Wagon
I will try without the cluster this morning and delve deep into the viden. Also will contact TAT. Thanks for everybody's help.
I can read the sercurity no. on the bcm on my vt with the vident.

Baldoldfart

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY
Looks like it was the ECM, your suggestion Mr Manchoo of finding a TAT bloke worked out. I found the closest one and looks like he has it sorted, he has had it running. Thanks to everybody for your help especially Mr Manchoo.

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
If they say it’s the ECM, it’s bloody well the ECM and they have done proper diagnostics to diagnose it.