Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Oil level debate

DUKE

Reaction score
OK so this is how it goes. My friends VS 3.8 was over filled with engine oil by 1 inch on the dip stick and mate #2 said " OH you better drain that down right now or blah blah blah. I said he should get it drained to the right level but it ain't gunna blow the guts out of your motor unless you drive like etc..... So my point is how much extra oil is ok and how much is Boom there go the seals? Seeing this forum has the best commodore minds arround I hope it does not spark more questions than answers... Cheers DUKE

Sabbath'

Redblock Jesus
Reaction score
Members Ride
80 Series// VFII Black Edition
How do you overfill by an inch is the real question that should be asked.

VR38

Reaction score
Members Ride
VB SL/E
Just let him keep the extra and see how long the motor lasts.

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
I don't know how much before you start damaging the engine but why take a chance? When over filled the oil gets whipped into a froth and causes serious damage. If he checks the dipstick and there is froth on it then drain some oil immediately and hope no damage has been done yet.

Last edited:

DUKE

Reaction score
I don't know. perhaps some peole just keep pouring untill the container is empty? But the big question is ( I'm asuming that an inch is about 1 ltr ) if the car is driven like Mr family not Mr rally will it cause problems after a few days? I have never had to deal with this because it was allways wait untill the oil had settled then check.

umair

Reaction score
Members Ride
Sold my car :(
Overfilling does not cause any engine damage (most of the time), but causes oil leaks! The extra oil leaks out of the seals and then you have to redo the seals. On my honda crv, I mistakenly put half bottle extra oil and next morning the engine was oily and leaky.

K-BAGZ

De Plane! De Plane!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR II S-pac V6 Ute / VZ SV6 Sedan / VZ R8
All I can think of right now is Homer Simpson's tag line, DOH.

But really, just drain the oil and refill it properly. Do it right the first time. It'll take 30min max of your time?

Lesson learnt then too.

david dubbo

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx gen111 wagon
not sure on a car motor but on patrol boats back in the day with v16 super charged MTUs over filling was considered very very bad as the crank journals slapping oil on every rotation was thought to crack them

VR38

Reaction score
Members Ride
VB SL/E
Journals are supported by an oil film usually covered by bearings which are enclosed by caps etc of crank shaft and connecting rods, must be piss weak if they crack slapping some oil.

gungazza

Reaction score
Members Ride
executive vt 5.0lt VZ CREWMAN
my son inlaws mother overfilled by 5lts iol ,thay rang me, engine light on, making noise ect,i told them to bring it around i would check it. checked the dipsick about 50cms above full mark, so idraind it out, of course 10lt oil every where,put back right amount, and restsrted, light still on, noise from tappets ect. so i told her to take it to a work shop and get it checked out asap, eny way jumped in the next morming started and all ok no light no noise but i did notice a few oil leakes wnen draining the oil