Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Oil Opinions ?

Tommy95

Reaction score
Members Ride
N/A
10w is best unless you live in a very cold climate, w = weather, lower the number better for colder starts performance in cold climates. Full synthetic oil doesn't break down as fast as normal oil and can withstand higher temperatures, I use 15w 40 in summer and 10w 40 in winter semi synthetic, so I plan it for 6month changers.

Oh i know this, interesting how you switch between them. I've always believed keeping it consistent is the key to longevity aside from frequent oil changes, quality filters & most of all fuel haha (well.... 95RON or higher) !

By technology i mean like oils being more pure than they were, higher quality detergents, better at heat resistance, etc

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Part of the reason for the high end synthetics is to prolong oil changes. If you want to make the most of those expensive oils it pays to get an oil analysis done to really see what is going on. yes synthetics have better heat resistance but in your average daily driver you really shouldn't be getting the oil anywhere near that threshold.

My understanding is that the base oil isn't as important as the addetives package in that oil. Oil doesn't really wear out, rather the additives get depleted and the contamination level goes up. If you intend to regular oil changes (at intervals less that manufacturer recommended) and aren't pushing the engine it its extreme limits is it really cost effective to run the top end oils?

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Oh i know this, interesting how you switch between them. I've always believed keeping it consistent is the key to longevity aside from frequent oil changes, quality filters & most of all fuel haha (well.... 95RON or higher) !

By technology i mean like oils being more pure than they were, higher quality detergents, better at heat resistance, etc
10 to 15w doesn't effect engine between hot and cold months, 10w you probably all you need to stick with.

Juice3

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX
I have been using mineral 15w40 since I got my vx at 46,000km now at 200,000km i use 20w50 shell mineral and change it every 6000km. My oil is still clear and see-through on dipstick after 6000km so shows my engine is clean also when i took lower intake manifold off it looked clean as not pitch black like pictures on google

Tommy95

Reaction score
Members Ride
N/A
Part of the reason for the high end synthetics is to prolong oil changes. If you want to make the most of those expensive oils it pays to get an oil analysis done to really see what is going on. yes synthetics have better heat resistance but in your average daily driver you really shouldn't be getting the oil anywhere near that threshold.

My understanding is that the base oil isn't as important as the addetives package in that oil. Oil doesn't really wear out, rather the additives get depleted and the contamination level goes up. If you intend to regular oil changes (at intervals less that manufacturer recommended) and aren't pushing the engine it its extreme limits is it really cost effective to run the top end oils?

I mean depends on how one looks at it, but my a family member had an old DL LTD, she ran top quality oils all it's life, 560k later, gets t-boned basically and writes the car off, i'm not a brand snob haha, i change my oil every 7k - 7.5k roughly because my commute to work is mainly highway so the oil is still practically new after each interval. Best thing about L67's is no ******* EGR valve

Tommy95

Reaction score
Members Ride
N/A
I have been using mineral 15w40 since I got my vx at 46,000km now at 200,000km i use 20w50 shell mineral and change it every 6000km. My oil is still clear and see-through on dipstick after 6000km so shows my engine is clean also when i took lower intake manifold off it looked clean as not pitch black like pictures on google

If it ain't broke don't fix it :)
External trans cooler & regular fluid up-keep, well..... they can be reliable well past 350k

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
I mean depends on how one looks at it, but my a family member had an old DL LTD, she ran top quality oils all it's life, 560k later, gets t-boned basically and writes the car off, i'm not a brand snob haha, i change my oil every 7k - 7.5k roughly because my commute to work is mainly highway so the oil is still practically new after each interval. Best thing about L67's is no ******* EGR valve
The question is, would the LTD have reached 560k on cheap bottom shelf oil?

vxcalais_01

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Calais 3.8 2001
If you go back in history on these forums, there's endless posts about oil including some of my own time wasting rants since 2006. Basically the cars have aged, and the oil technology has improved. Manufacturers today aren't expecting today's new cars to last as long as cars from 2000 have. If people were changing over their Holdens like they are with cars today, then they wouldn't be closing down.

The VX's were fist to recommend 10w30 to meet emissions but no one would use it as it did burn at that viscosity. If you have a new or rebuilt motor (rings and pistons, crank) then 5w40 is fine and lowest I would go like HPR Diesel 5 or Shell Helix Ultra is really hard to beat. 15w40 SL/CI4 diesel grade oils are best all rounders and best to clean and keep clean a motor. All the various brand SN rated oils are pretty much the same, but for performance Penrite 10 Tenths 5w50, Valvoline Synpower and Shell Helix are excellent. If you like thicker oils then the Penrite 20w60 in mineral, diesel or full synth is perfect.

Because of how Holden built these motors, the oil will not save you from leaks and the rings will wear regardless over time. I did my first and only rear main around 300,000k's and now has 400,000k's. I owned my car since 60,000k's. The oil will save your bottom end, cam and valve train.

Don't waste your time and money on 5000km oil changes and do in 12 months or 10,000 - 15,000km's. The oils today are not the same as they were even 5 years ago and they last longer due to enviro requirements and service intervals/longer warranties.

Heavy VT

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt V6
I have been running Cat deo-uls 15w40 for the last 60 000ks. Changing every 10 000.
I also do oil samples every oil change. The samples have come back as A samples so far. My Vt currently has 220000km on it.