Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

P2273 & P0430 fault codes and LAUNCH SCANNER what do I do with it all.

vx huffer

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx superhcarged
I brought a LAUNCH plug in code reader to work out the fault codes on my cars via the iPhone and clear the engine warning lights.

Its a great thing that does many things , problem is I have no idea what I am doing as far as using the plug in as well as how to read what is right and what is wrong with the car.

Its great that you can look at lots of things , do reports on lots of things and take screen shots and do all sorts of things with it.

Does anyone have any experience with the LAUNCH unit or know how to apply what they say the fault codes are so that I can fix the damn thing.

Its a 2008 VE v6 and I had codes P0430 - Cat system low efficiency Bank 2
P2273 - O2 sensor rich lean

I managed to clear these faults and after about half an hour of operation P2273 fault came back up again.

A mate gave me this information - Heated Oxygen Sensor (HO2S) 2 , bank 2 - signal stuck rich. Possible causes wiring , HO2S , fuel pressure , injectors , air intake restricted.

I have mechanical experience on older cars and access to basic hand tools and multimeters , pressure gauges and lots of other tools but I have no idea where to even start. I don't even know where the HO2S is or the wiring.

I need to get a rego inspection and it wont pass while the check engine light is on. Can anyone help?

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
if there is a fault it will give the code then if u just remove the code without fixing the fault it will come straight back again, unless u can disable the showing of the code it will always come back till fixed, sounds like an 02 sensor is failing or dead just see which one and replace it

vx huffer

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx superhcarged
07 GTS , yes I am well aware of this fact.

Where and how do I locate and test these parts , also how do I understand the many pages of information I have been able to get out of the computer?

I am able to post all the data if it makes sense to anyone

vx huffer

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx superhcarged
I'm an old guy who hasn't had much to do with these late model computer cars but I'm very keen to learn.

I played with old school cars that had carbies and such , hoping I can get some help from you younger guys who might be able to help me out.

Oh yeah its the LAUNCH X431 Autodiag scan tool that I have if that helps at all. It gives me pages of stuff like this.

Firstly I don't know what is the correct range to recognise a problem within the reports.

Also I don't know where to look for the faulty parts on the car , how to test and where to test.

Are there specific places guys that are into all of this stuff hang out like this type of forum or can people here help?

Any specs , technical information and wiring diagrams and stuff like that I could download or someone can share?

I'm hungry for this information

Attachments

• HOLDEN_Report_20180201133530.pdf
    45.1 KB · Views: 277
  • HOLDEN_Report_20180201133552.pdf
    42.1 KB · Views: 134
  • HOLDEN_Report_20180201133615.pdf
    39 KB · Views: 145
  • HOLDEN_Report_20180201133635.pdf
    39.5 KB · Views: 117
  • HOLDEN_Report_20180201133701.pdf
    41.6 KB · Views: 136
  • HOLDEN_Report_20180201133742.pdf
    34 KB · Views: 119
  • HOLDEN_Report_20180201133808.pdf
    39.2 KB · Views: 157
  • HOLDEN_Report_20180201133830.pdf
    39.1 KB · Views: 134
  • HOLDEN_Report_20180201133916.pdf
    39.3 KB · Views: 145
  • HOLDEN_Report_20180201133934.pdf
    36.3 KB · Views: 156

vx huffer

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx superhcarged
I am posting this information as I find it in case others are also looking for it and have the same code.

I found this which I think applies to the V6 VE , it shows the locations of sensors and their names.

FYI - HOS2 - bank 2 sensor 2 is on the exhaust past the catalytic converter , passengers side close to the transmission and cross member. I could also see the bank 2 sensor 1 from under the car but the other side of the catalytic converter closer to the engine (probably accessible from the engine bay).
There is another sensor for bank 1 sensor 1 on the drivers side same location in front of the catalytic converter and also bank 1 sensor 2 underneath the car on the exhaust past the catalytic converter , drivers side close to the transmission and cross member.

Attachments

• CAT CONVERTER SENSORS LOCATIONS.jpg
    CAT CONVERTER SENSORS LOCATIONS.jpg
    118.9 KB · Views: 1,549

vx huffer

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx superhcarged
Here is a pic of the sensor in the pipe showing how close to transmission and cross member, to unplug it there is a clip on the sensor end of the plug which needs to be pressed to release it.

A few pics of the plug which is up the side of the transmission , also with it unplugged I see 4 x terminals.

I don't know yet , but I am assuming two terminals are 12V+ and 12V- , also maybe two terminals have a circuit which will vary resistance relative to temperature. Will google and see what I can come up with.

Attachments

• IMG_4458.JPG
    IMG_4458.JPG
    183.8 KB · Views: 213
  • IMG_4455.JPG
    IMG_4455.JPG
    139.1 KB · Views: 206
  • IMG_4460.JPG
    IMG_4460.JPG
    212.2 KB · Views: 294
  • IMG_4462.JPG
    IMG_4462.JPG
    160 KB · Views: 196

Xplaya

Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV
Here is a pic of the sensor in the pipe showing how close to transmission and cross member, to unplug it there is a clip on the sensor end of the plug which needs to be pressed to release it.

A few pics of the plug which is up the side of the transmission , also with it unplugged I see 4 x terminals.

I don't know yet , but I am assuming two terminals are 12V+ and 12V- , also maybe two terminals have a circuit which will vary resistance relative to temperature. Will google and see what I can come up with.

You are in the right place.
I would swap the rear sensors with each other (unscrew them from exhaust / disconnect terminal's and swap them over) Wipe the code. And then see what code appears next time.

If the same code then it could be wiring or other issue's on that side.
If a Different Code (that appears to be the opposite side (Bank 1) then its likely the sensor.

As a precaution, I always unplug the negative battery terminal before doing anything like this. (Which will wipe the code as well when you start it back up)

Last edited:

vx huffer

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx superhcarged
Xplaya thanks for your input its been greatly appreciated and acted on.

Ok so I swapped out the post catalytic converter o2 sensors from the passengers side to the drivers side. Effectively swapping Bank 2 sensor 2 with Bank 1 sensor 2.

Removed the air filter as there was some reference pertaining to blocked air filter so I could eliminate this problem. Cleaned out the MAF with MAF cleaner and also removed and cleaned the Throttle body with Throttle body cleaner. (both cleaners available from Major Auto parts stores.

Cleared the codes and took it for a close to 20km drive and the check engine warning light came back up.

Plugged in the scanner and now I have P2271 code which is O2 Sensor Signal Stuck Rich Bank 1 Sensor 2 (effectively the same fault I started with but now on the other side.)

Based on this I am assuming the o2 sensor is faulty so will order a new one and advise what the results are once fitted.

If anyone has any better ideas feel free to offer your knowledge.

Xplaya

Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV
With that information I definitely would be looking at a new 02 sensor and check the cable/loom connected to it for any damage / corrosion.

blackve76

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS ute 360rwkw N/A, 2016 VF2 SS M6
Replace both rear 02 sensors while your at it.