Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

passenger door is deadlocked

jeepster

Reaction score
Members Ride
VSII Ute
I deadlocked the doors yesterday, and now cannot open the passenger door. I can't hear anything in that door when unlocking driver door. Fuse 7 (for the door locks) is okay. Is there any other solution besides hacking the door trim off?

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs V8 Ute
Hi jeepster,

sounds like the actuator is stuffed - quite common. I would look to either swap with one that you know works OR get a replacement (wreckers).

Cheers, TC

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
If you haven't already done it, pull the plastic locking tab / knob off, and get a pair of long nose pliers on the rod and pull it up.

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
I don't think that's going to work since the door is deadlocked (mechanically). Items below are from the Holden VS Service Manual:

"The deadlock feature provides for mechanical jamming of the door lock actuators. This is achieved electrically via the driver's door key barrel micro-switch."

Checking the Deadlock feature
Open all windows.
Close all doors.
Actuate the deadlock feature from the RHF door with the key.
Check that all door lock buttons cannot be pulled up. They are electrically blocked.
NOTE: The front door lock (snib) buttons can be pulled up slightly, but they will be under tension.

One thing you could try is to disconnect and reconnect the battery.

Deadlock
The deadlocking feature applies to all four doors, but not to the luggage compartment lid or tailgate. After the deadlocking feature device has been engaged, unlocking is only possible at the RHF door from outside, with the key. To ensure access to the vehicle if the electrical system should fail (discharged battery), after the system has been engaged, the deadlocking feature is mechanically actuated for the RHF door, and electrically for the other doors.

Last edited:

Grimes

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore Series II Ute
The only way is to prise the trim off around the lock from the inside then manipulate the mechanical lock with a screwdriver. It happened to me about ten years ago and I can’t remember the internals, just that it was straightforward once opened up a bit.

jeepster

Reaction score
Members Ride
VSII Ute
Deadlock
The deadlocking feature applies to all four doors, but not to the luggage compartment lid or tailgate. After the deadlocking feature device has been engaged, unlocking is only possible at the RHF door from outside, with the key. To ensure access to the vehicle if the electrical system should fail (discharged battery), after the system has been engaged, the deadlocking feature is mechanically actuated for the RHF door, and electrically for the other doors.

A Tech-1 can test the central locking, according to workshop manual, but can it unlock deadlocked passenger doors?

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
Worth a try, if you can locate anyone who has a Tech1 with the correct cartridge for your car, or a clone equivalent. Good luck.

jeepster

Reaction score
Members Ride
VSII Ute
Worth a try, if you can locate anyone who has a Tech1 with the correct cartridge for your car, or a clone equivalent. Good luck.
The iLink400 scan tool with Holden software pack can lock and unlock doors (provided you don't have knackered wiring harness/actuator/micro switch).

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
Are you saying that you have you used it to lock and unlock your deadlocked VS?

jeepster

Reaction score
Members Ride
VSII Ute
Are you saying that you have you used it to lock and unlock your deadlocked VS?
Not straight away - it seems the problem was the driver door actuator. The deadlock microswitch on the lock barrel seemed to be working , but not the switch in the actuator, which confused the BCM. The indicators didn't flash when locking the door, which was a clue, but I didn't make the connection at the time. It took a while to procure an actuator and after plugging it in, then toggling the thing, finally the left door unlocked. I also noticed that the door handle is worn out where the lock sits, and it is quite sloppy, so will probably be the next thing to cause a failure. Ideally, find a whole door from a pensioner's church-on-Sunday car.