Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

possible inhibitor switch issues

Damo-xo

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore VE series ll
the only difference is the inhibitor switch is external... I've found the wires I need to play with.. I'll fill everyone in tomorrow.

maybe it will work..

it was pain finding the right wire to snip and redirect but I got it working following the vid it was maybe a good 40 mins fix!!!

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S1 V6 6 speed Auto Wagon
it was pain finding the right wire to snip and redirect but I got it working following the vid it was maybe a good 40 mins fix!!!
Good fix! :cool: :)
Is it only starting in park & neutral? Reverse lights working?

Damo-xo

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore VE series ll
Good fix! :cool: :)
Is it only starting in park & neutral? Reverse lights working?
yeah man every is .. I may have only now just checked that.. honestly didn't even think to check

bigals777

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ executive 3.6
trying to find the wiring diagram
I don't know if this guy in the USA might have a different switch, or damaged, but my VZ 2006 V6auto switch has continuity between what he shows as pins 1 and 12 the thicker ones each end of switch connector in Park and neutral, so with a multi meter connected to pins 1 & 12, not easy with high flow cats, pivot switch (slotted bracket) in Neutral and try to get in the middle of when sound is on meter, I got a new switch and when removing old 1 it kicked a little indicating that it may not have been adjusted properly or the sagging rear engine mount (back of transmission) may have changed angle slightly, plugs are not selastic in, remove blue plastic lock thing from plug and pull down and plug comes away easy, don't force, guy was close but I couldn't find any other closed contacts in park or neutral, or the new switch is crap, find out soon

bigals777

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ executive 3.6
trying to find the wiring diagram
Good idea using the negative as a common, but electronics usually sink and source their own voltages, so you have to check with the switch all contacts made in the dedicated positions, that chart said Pin 2&3 not used, in the switch socket Pin2 doesn't exist so counting the pins 1 & 12 top & bottom(slightly larger) are the Neutral/Park switch contacts only made in P&N So continuity of contacts is as follows : P = {1+12}&{3+5+7+8}&{9+11} R = {7+4+5} N = {1+12} & {7+3+4} D = {7+8} & {4+5+6} 2 = {6+7+8} 1 = {6+7+8} so yes there is a 12V - or Ground in each selection but you might be missing a computer connection, I found with the old switch moving backwards and forwards not all e connections were reliable, not finding much info in workshop manual information obtained from the new switch purchased, hopefully no more issues for me, changing the transmission ECU would be the next most likely cause, I actually seen the "P" disappear the first time it happened and had to power down reset almost every time it failed to start, hope this is helpful for someone