Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Prepping a VE L98 ute for drags

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Wondering what I need if I want to have a go at the strip?
So far I have done the trunnion upgrade, I have a Kaaz 3.9 diff built and will be replacing the rear coupling.
Is there anything else I need to do? I don't want to blow my engine or 6060. I have a HD clutch already. I know I won't be competitive and will likely get knocked out in the first round but it's about having a bit of fun once in a while. This is unless I need to spend a stupid amount of more money before I can play.

Ginger Beer

Reaction score
Members Ride
Dunnydoore
Wondering what I need if I want to have a go at the strip?
So far I have done the trunnion upgrade, I have a Kaaz 3.9 diff built and will be replacing the rear coupling.
Is there anything else I need to do? I don't want to blow my engine or 6060. I have a HD clutch already. I know I won't be competitive and will likely get knocked out in the first round but it's about having a bit of fun once in a while. This is unless I need to spend a stupid amount of more money before I can play.
Buddy, there isn't any "rounds" if you just do a test and tune or race your mates day/night

As long as your car is well maintained you shouldn't have an issue

Don't worry about the guy next to you, don't worry about "launching", or your "60 ft" or your "MPH" or your "Et", just launch like you would from the lights, be safe and have fun, you will soon workout what's going on with you and your car

From there, test and adjust, there's heaps of info on the interwebs about setting up you car

Drags can get really expensive once you start trying to knock of some time or adding some MPH, but, drags can be a fairly cheap fun day/night out to, you can send your beastie down the strip as much as it can take, or once or twice and then spend the rest of the night walking the stagging lanes or watching from the stands

Me, I only go to the drags to work out how modifications have affected performance now, I do it on street tyres with half a tank of fuel, and sometimes the boy rides along as a passenger, we only do 1 or 2 passes, then watch and eat donuts for the rest of the day/night, excellent fun

If you do enjoy hitting the drags, and plan to do it a bit, the best thing you could do is get some drag radials, street tyres are a compromise when you start hitting the tyres hard, and a good set of drag radials will see you get alot of days/nights down the strip

Disclaimer: sometimes stuff breaks, but with some mechanical sympathy, inspections between runs, and regular maintenance you should be fine

Do it

images.jpeg-28.jpg

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I basically just want to go to a place where I can nail it off the line and see how this thing goes. I've not been able to test it as I'm not chancing it on the road. And yeah maybe have a passenger to give them a bit of adrenalin.
Will I need billet coupling or will a McKay one be ok? It likely won't be a regular thing, maybe a few times a year just to scratch an itch. I have the race bike but it's too hard to ride now with my missing fingers on my clutch hand.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
also check on the safety clothing/items u need to have as well
Do you need a flame suit? A helmet I need regardless for my bike.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Having raced bikes it would be nice to compete, but I know that would cost a bomb as I imagine a minimum of 1000hp to win any races.

Ginger Beer

Reaction score
Members Ride
Dunnydoore
Having raced bikes it would be nice to compete, but I know that would cost a bomb as I imagine a minimum of 1000hp to win any races.
Nope, if you want to get serious you can bracket race and dial in 14.55 seconds if you want

You don't need anything else

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
Do you need a flame suit? A helmet I need regardless for my bike.
Look up your local track's website. They usually list what's required (helmet, closed shoes, long sleeves and pants.)
It's usually nothing too crazy for 11.00 and slower.

And as said, if you have been maintaining it well, just run it as is.

M#ick2183

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt wagon, vt hsv xu8,vs hsv senator,vs ss ute
Just run what you brung and have fun always been the way in my book, but it has been awhile since I've had a run(more of a slow walker these days!!) careful it gets addictive...

Martbar

Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 VF Series 2 SSV Redline.
Mate l've only put bikes down the drag strip, but as previous posts have alluded to, just have fun and don't worry about the times.
$3500 bike did a 12 sec run, $25000 bike did an 11 sec run.
The $25000 bike had 70 more HP
and my time was only 1 sec better.
All the best.