Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Prepping a VE L98 ute for drags

Ginger Beer

Reaction score
Members Ride
Dunnydoore
I always recommend your first launch at the drags to be just like a launch on the street, sure, as soon as you launch nail it and row the gears, this will be test 1

Don't clutch dump, that's for AWD cars, you want to be slipping the clutch a little, launching well is akin to mild clutch abuse

Test 2 will be lauching at say 2.5k rpm

Test 3 will be 3.5k rpm

So on and so forth, you need to remember what works and what doesn't, I use a note book because I cannot remember ****, I have tyre pressure, launch rpm, how big of a burn out, and any other remarks like missing gears or if the car wants to go right or left

Your tyres will be the limiting factor for traction on the hit and getting a good 60ft, tyre pressure may help a couple of tenths, I would only haze the tyre after coming out of the water box, to much heat on a RE003 will just make them greasy, and starting a burnout in the waterbox throws water on your inner guards, which can drip down when your trying to launch

In reality improving your 60ft is all that counts, your Et and MPH will follow on with whatever power the car makes

Dependent on the weather and number of attendees at the event you should get a minimum of 3 or 4 runs if you scruit early and stick around for the whole event

If your lucky there will be no oil downs or crashes, and if it's a small turnout you can basically back to back runs all night

Your NA and manual so heat soak and the need to have long cool downs between runs really shouldn't be an issue

In the end I'm just a novice who has been to the drags, in multiple platforms for working out actual gains from mods and LOLS

Post pics, vids and timeslips

Be safe, and only race against your own 60ft

Your going to have a ball

Last edited:

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
So drags have been delayed. Ute is ready but we have no strip in Tasmania anymore. It's going to be a $1000,000 to get it up to standard where they will be allowed to race there. The people who leased it ruined the track by turning it in a pad. Basically the strip is trashed, no one will insure the complex and the council have come doen hard on them for operating without proper permits for food booze and other things. They were doing illegal meets and now have been told the current operators won't be approved to jave meets unless the entire complex is overhauled.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
The drags that Tasmanians are using now is Calder. But no change from a $1000 just getting there and back.

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S1 V6 6 speed Auto Wagon
The drags that Tasmanians are using now is Calder. But no change from a $1000 just getting there and back.
Back to working on a Friday & the weekends! ;) :) :cool:

Dylan kingswood

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 s2 Ve ss
Father inlaws gemini has been laying in the shed since 2014 i think his last run down, cars popping tires then rim riding on the track done it

Dylan kingswood

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 s2 Ve ss
Prob worth more as a geuine 78 coupe thats rust free but the refresh pulled the 350 and built a 400 dart block and 2 speed glide

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230128-214909_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20230128-214909_Gallery.jpg
    106.1 KB · Views: 120

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Bit of an update. BT is basically ready to roll. Powranna Park is reopening in two weeks. I have a spot reserved for RR. At this stage they are only doing RR and burnouts. I have no interest in building my ute for burnouts so RR it will be.

I am waiting until closer to the date to buy a one event licence, just in case he cancels the meet due to weather. I've registered myself for what is similar to a CAMS licence. I just now need to pay the fee.

1685869486194.png

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Bought a SH Nitro helmet tonight off FB. Paid $40. It's in really decent condition. My old helmet was about 30 years old or close to it. It was fine apart from the soft foam had broken down. Possibly could have been fixed but I decided it was time.to bin it.

Now I just need to see what I have in the way of fire resistant clothing. Pants are easy but most tops are polyester and not allowed under the rules.

Ginger Beer

Reaction score
Members Ride
Dunnydoore
Bought a SH Nitro helmet tonight off FB. Paid $40. It's in really decent condition. My old helmet was about 30 years old or close to it. It was fine apart from the soft foam had broken down. Possibly could have been fixed but I decided it was time.to bin it.

Now I just need to see what I have in the way of fire resistant clothing. Pants are easy but most tops are polyester and not allowed under the rules.
I use jeans and a long sleeve t shirt, if it's cold a hoodie