Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Project Cool banana :P

jellycalais

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Calais Series II V6
An engine blocks is normally made of cast iron, the continuous combustion of the fuel/air mixture would create heat of temperatures around 100 degrees and even hotter in the combustion chamber. The continous cooling and reheating of the cast iron would create a substance which is called Martensite, which is a hard and brittle compound. Eventually due to the brittleness of the cast iron, the block will fail. Just my opinion from studying engineering at school

theSeekerr

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR II Executive Manual
I think you need to recheck the temperature scale on your iron-carbon phase diagram. Martensite requires rapid cooling from austenite, which only exists > 700 degrees C (more like 900 degrees for cast iron).

(Disclaimer: I'm studying electrical engineering, so I haven't touched this since high school. I did get a 93 in engineering studies though.)

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
Well I don't know about you guys but I'm well on the way to having a cool banana. My oil/ heatshield will be completed tomorrow (got some stainless in the end) and then I'm going to paint the manifold..... white with some kind of reflective anti infra red paint. Got a couple of other things on the go also but still in planing

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
:p
34zws3r.jpg

Only Joking guys, see this http://i46.tinypic.com/2vvqaz8.jpg Still needs polishing but that's it, I would like to thank my plasma chopper for making it not too hard to make

Commydoor

born in the FB era
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vr Ss Blown
would of been easier to leave the sludge there lol...did you have the manifold shaved to compensate for the thickness of the plate?

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
haha well the whole reason I decided I needed a sheild was when I cleaned the sludge out of the valley and the original manifold and the car never went as fast to 60 mph ever again!:), the plate is only 1mm and the compressed cork gasket is a fair bit thicker than that, so with a shaved cork gasket it should be fine, I think even a normal thickness cork should squash flat enough. This seal at the front and back of the manifold isn't very important I could even shave that with a file just fine but I wont need to. A few of my mates want me to make one for them but unless you have access to like some kind of automated lazoor cutter or something it wouldn't be easy to make alot of them all mm perfect

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
not bad foam. maybe press a "V" down the middle to help oil onto the cam? still it's got to make a difference

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
Yeah the original plan was to have a line down the middle to drip oil onto the cam, I think it would help solve the Holden V8's cam wear issues, But that was beyond my shed technoligy. I don't drive at low enough revs for cam wear to be a problem so that's ok for me. Theres plenty of clearence between it and the manifold tho so that's ok. I think the ultimate sheild would have the line down the guts dripping oil over the cam and also be folded up on the sides

Commydoor

born in the FB era
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vr Ss Blown
this is by far the best original test mod i have seen in ages...pity you didnt carry it out before you did the heads Foamy it would have been very interesting to see its true value...in racing 1 psi in a tyre can make a difference so in theory that should also be the case with air intake temps...