Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Project Cool banana :P

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
this is by far the best original test mod i have seen in ages...pity you didnt carry it out before you did the heads Foamy it would have been very interesting to see its true value...in racing 1 psi in a tyre can make a difference so in theory that should also be the case with air intake temps...

Ah you are confuzzled, the heads are stock for the moment, nothing has changed apart from the camshaft/balancer and timing chain as of yet :0. I have no way to back to back test the temp drop from the sheild but there will be something in it. All engine master winners use one and the American engines don't even have an exposed camshaft like the Holden V8 does. Those guys are using them for heat refelection only, on the Holden it also stops the oil washing onto the manifolds base so it's double win. Pity we can't have a camera in there to see just how much oil we are talking about but seeing how much sludge can collect under the manifold and in the valley and in every single mm of both, we can assume it's alot and it must be a very fine constant mist, so I wont be able to stop all of it. But 95% of it will be better than nothing. This mist of oil is @ around 100 C so it's pretty nasty. I'd rather have my hand above the sheild than below it :)

Last edited:

Commydoor

born in the FB era
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vr Ss Blown
sorry bloke i thought you was porting heads and fitting them...my bad shows i should read closer lol...still think its a great mod though...

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
Yeah, heads will come soon enough :) I want to see before and after on those :).

Next stage of the cool banana it isolating the water from the manifold, earlier today I was going to buy or make a remote thermostat and weld fittings right close to the head and expoxy behind that rarararaar. But now I've changed my mind. I will invest in 30 or even 50 bucks worth of high temp water proof epoxy and use the playdough skills I learned as a kid to insulate the water channels (everything that's alloy), Will grind it out some first so I end up the same size as before. I don't think this is much of a problem, not like the oil splash, but I have the manifold off, so why not

Commydoor

born in the FB era
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vr Ss Blown
Talk about dedication lol...that sounds time consuming just thinking about it...its a nightmare of compromise between the engine liking heat for efficiency to intake temps liking it as cool as...maybe the next generation is a ceramic coated inlet manifold with no water galleries...the ceramic to restrict heat into the manifold and any heat buildup can transfer into the head which is water cooled...a question on this Foamy if you know...is the reason a manifold is water cooled in the first place because the alloy retains a greater amount of heat than cast iron?...

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
having the water cross-over in the intake manifold is the simplest way to complete the cooling system on a mass produced engine with a "V" configuration.

you'll note that a lot of engines these days use a composite (plastic) intake manifolds. a great example would the any of the LSx series engines. even the L27 and L36 in the states that are the same basic engine as our buick and ecotec engines use composite plastic upper intake manifolds that bolt onto a alloy lower section. most of these composite manifolds do run a water passage up to the throttle body to heat it which would be needed in colder climates to prevent ice formation in the TB.

the Holden banana style manifold is actually worse in design because the plenum area of the manifold is in the valley of the manifold right where it is going to get the most heatsoak. the later style manifolds like the composite LSx manifolds have the plenum area in between the runners and up and away from the valley

Commydoor

born in the FB era
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vr Ss Blown
ah...thanks for that Immortality...i learn a little more every day...

w4yn0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN SS
hey guys,

I would love to do this to my manifold and i was wondering if you could help me with some quick Q's

Fitting a 6mm insulator between the manifold and the head. would it be feasible to take 6mm off the manifold only? just to try and save on machining cost.

also if you wouldn't mind Steve, could i get a really rough price on a pair of 6mm spacers?

Sealing the oil splash guard at the front and around the dizzy, what sort of sealant should i use?

Lastly, regarding the insulator between the splash guard and the manifold. how much thickness of cork or the other material would you suggest to try and fit?

thanks in advance
Wayne

MACE

Reaction score
hey guys,

I would love to do this to my manifold and i was wondering if you could help me with some quick Q's

Fitting a 6mm insulator between the manifold and the head. would it be feasible to take 6mm off the manifold only? just to try and save on machining cost.

also if you wouldn't mind Steve, could i get a really rough price on a pair of 6mm spacers?

Sealing the oil splash guard at the front and around the dizzy, what sort of sealant should i use?

Lastly, regarding the insulator between the splash guard and the manifold. how much thickness of cork or the other material would you suggest to try and fit?

thanks in advance
Wayne

Hey Wayne,

In regards to your questions...

"Fitting a 6mm insulator between the manifold and the head. would it be feasible to take 6mm off the manifold only? just to try and save on machining cost."

You probably could get away with it however it would get fairly close to the injector bosses

"also if you wouldn't mind Steve, could i get a really rough price on a pair of 6mm spacers?"

We haven't made the spacers for the 5L's at the moment so we could only sell you the material which would be around $60

"Sealing the oil splash guard at the front and around the dizzy, what sort of sealant should i use?"

Quality sealant such as 3 bond would do the trick I would imagine

"Lastly, regarding the insulator between the splash guard and the manifold. how much thickness of cork or the other material would you suggest to try and fit?"

Greenfoam would be in a better position to answer that I would imagine, as it's been while since I last took a 5L manifold off.

Cheers
Steve ;)

VNracer34G

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Production Saloon, 07Omega ex Cop car, 03 TF V6
Any updates on this greenfoam? Did you notice much difference in manifold air temps in logs?

As for the cork end seals just chuck them over your left shoulder and say "File that Miss Jones" and use sealant, in this case a smear on the mating face of the block- heatsheild - then a nice thick bead to fill the gap, thats what i was taught many moons ago as a young apprentice in a holden dealership and i've never had one leak so far touch wood