Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[Question] AU twin thermos in a vn v6

holdensmychoice

Reaction score
Members Ride
89 VN Berlina 5sp 3.8
Hey, I've got a vn v6 series 1, just wondering how hard it is to put them AU twin thermo fans in there? got them real cheap off a mate. My apologies if this has already been covered before.

wraith

Hand over the dog bikkies
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Berlina. 2003 VW Passat
The standard fans work perfectly fine and are already electric. A lot of V8 guys use the AU thermos as the fan on a V8 is a clutch type driven by the water pulley.

stockies

Bannana
Reaction score
Members Ride
G6E Turbo
Yes, you can install them. Will the alternator like twin fans coming on at the same time? No it won't.

You will have to run an external transmission cooler, as the fans block the factory in - the - radiator type ones.

Wire one up to come on with the standard signal (use a relay to protect against high current draw)
And wire the second one to come on with either:
a) An aftermarket temperature switch (Davies Craig do one)
b) Extra switch that you can operate yourself

FXST01

The Grey Man
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP V6 Exec
I've had a AU twin on for about 3-4 years now without a problem. Its needs to be trimmed a bit to fit round the radiator hoses. I used two relays off the factory harness to switch the fans on, and two separate power lines.

wraith

Hand over the dog bikkies
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Berlina. 2003 VW Passat
Can any one explain why you should bother on a V6 that has electric thermos already?

holdensmychoice

Reaction score
Members Ride
89 VN Berlina 5sp 3.8
Yes, you can install them. Will the alternator like twin fans coming on at the same time? No it won't.

You will have to run an external transmission cooler, as the fans block the factory in - the - radiator type ones.

Wire one up to come on with the standard signal (use a relay to protect against high current draw)
And wire the second one to come on with either:
a) An aftermarket temperature switch (Davies Craig do one)
b) Extra switch that you can operate yourself

Thanks mate for that info, I'll definitely consider doing it how you suggested to avoid frying the alternator.

holdensmychoice

Reaction score
Members Ride
89 VN Berlina 5sp 3.8
I've had a AU twin on for about 3-4 years now without a problem. Its needs to be trimmed a bit to fit round the radiator hoses. I used two relays off the factory harness to switch the fans on, and two separate power lines.

Cheers mate, all i needed to know :)

FXST01

The Grey Man
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP V6 Exec
Can any one explain why you should bother on a V6 that has electric thermos already?
Because I can. Until you do it, you never realise how much real estate you get back in the engine bay.

stockies

Bannana
Reaction score
Members Ride
G6E Turbo
The AU fans are good, but the Mondeo twin ones are better!
Not as much current draw and they are smaller! Best twin fan for VN to VS.

And for people wondering why twin fans?
- The stock fan is rubbish and hates summer traffic jams. Also it has a nasty habit in most VN/VP's of blowing/melting the fan relay under the bonnet.