Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[Question] AU twin thermos in a vn v6

DavoVP

Reaction score
The AU fans are good, but the Mondeo twin ones are better!
Not as much current draw and they are smaller! Best twin fan for VN to VS.

And for people wondering why twin fans?
- The stock fan is rubbish and hates summer traffic jams. Also it has a nasty habit in most VN/VP's of blowing/melting the fan relay under the bonnet.

That's when you know its time to replace it. As the winding's inside the motor start letting go the current draw increases and you start melting crap.

I don't see the point in this conversion, I have ran the standard unit for years in stop start traffic with the aircon on and unless I have had a cooling system issue the temperature has never run away with the standard fan.

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
A hot engine is an efficient engine. It needs to be at a minimum operating temperature to run the best. It's not good for the engine to keep it too cool.

wraith

Hand over the dog bikkies
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Berlina. 2003 VW Passat
I have never once had any VP VR whatever get too hot in stop start traffic except for when there was an existing problem with the cooling system. As I said yes common for V8 completely pointless for V6's.

stockies

Bannana
Reaction score
Members Ride
G6E Turbo
Yes, the standard fan is fine. If its working properly. The AU upgrade is mainly done because to find a working original fan is near impossible. A aftermarket fan is normally used with the original shroud, but because they can, and wank factor, most people stick in the AU twins. (and then destroy their alternator)

Another thing most people forget to check when looking at the cooling system - the heatercore.
Even if its not leaking into your footwell, it could still be blocking your cooling system.

wraith

Hand over the dog bikkies
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Berlina. 2003 VW Passat
As I have said multiple times. The AU upgrade is done on V8's not V6's for the reasons I have already listed.

89vn_Jai

Reaction score
Members Ride
89 VN Exectutive
As I have said multiple times. The AU upgrade is done on V8's not V6's for the reasons I have already listed.

Too true ^^
If your vn v6 is getting too hot, something in the cooling system is not functioning correctly, not it needs upgrading.
My VN V6 is a daily and the only time it has ever overheated is when I had a dodgy hose clamp on the bottom radiator hose and I lost all my coolant.
Has been in traffic in say 38 degree heat and yes it runs a tad hotter but the single thermo fan does an okay job at keeping it from overheating.
I think you should give the entire cooling system a good inspection/service.