Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Quiet Bimodel mufflers on VF1, ... wheres the noise?

Doug 1969

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS
Hi all, first time post :)
Ive just put a pair of VF2 bimodel mufflers on my VF1 to try and make it sound a bit more like a V8.
Ive just picked it up from the shop and driven it back to work, it is sooooo quiet I can hardly tell if the car is running :(
They look really nice but wheres the noise?
Yes, valves are open.
Any help greatly appreciated. Cheers Doug

gfl

Reaction score
Members Ride
Gen-F Tourer
I ended up with some VF2 mufflers on my Tourer (long story) and they are much quieter than the HSV version, even with the relay pulled to keep the valves open. Just the way they are made I guess.

cashie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS-V
Hi all, first time post :)
Ive just put a pair of VF2 bimodel mufflers on my VF1 to try and make it sound a bit more like a V8.
Ive just picked it up from the shop and driven it back to work, it is sooooo quiet I can hardly tell if the car is running :(
They look really nice but wheres the noise?
Yes, valves are open.
Any help greatly appreciated. Cheers Doug
Don’t they look the same?
Is your car auto or manual?
Is it quieter than the original mufflers?

426Cuda

SUBLIME!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline Sedan - A6 Spitfire MSE...
I've had both the VF2 and HSV Gen-F bi-modals on my VF1. The HSV ones were marginally louder, but I prefer the sound of the Holden ones. If you swap out the centre section for 2.5" HSV pipes of a Gen-F you'll get more noise. Or a vf2 cente section shoulf give you similar sound to a vf2, if thats your thing.
Over time I've changed mufflers to quieten mine down. From J Pipes to marriage savers to AFM cans to HSV bimodals, to vf2 bimodal. The VF2 mufflers have been the pick by far. Having said that, it's still up there with the louder of all the 6L's I've heard. Yet, good at any cruise speed.
Current setup is:
HSV 340 headers
200cpi cats
2.5" centre section (2 hotdogs only)
Vf2 cans.
If it were mine, I'd go HSV 2.5". Plenty available from planet parts for $150 from memory.

Mattricho

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV my15
Ditto, the genF GTS mid section with the vf2 mufflers. I did this last week and the sound is intoxicating, it cracks and pops and just sounds awesome.

The problem I see now for you is you have the flange mufflers for your series 1 and you need the clamp style for the HSV system.

Also, planet parts is where I got everything and they where great to deal with.

duaned

Reaction score
Members Ride
M6 Red Hot MSE
I found (and my tuner noticed it as well) that by replacing my mid section on my recently departed VF2 from stock to the HSV 2.5 inch mid that I lost some crack and pop compared to stock, keeping the factory rear bimodal cans. I was certainly louder, in fact too loud. It'd clear that the HSV mufflers (rear cans) should be quieter than the VF2 rear cans with the vane open.

HemiMagic

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV REDLINE, CL Charger, VK Charger, Motorsport
I cut out the mid section muffler and replaced with a H section, fitted Dynamax VT mufflers.
Sounds great, not overly loud and dead quiet in the cabin when cruising. No drone at all.

Why Choose Dynomax?
The Dynomax Valve Technology (VT) muffler is a revolutionary high flow and straight through stainless steel performance muffler that controls irritating drone while ensuring maximum performance.

Dynomas VT Mufflers feature an exclusive and precisely calibrated internal valve that redirects exhaust flow during cruising conditions, to provide Drone Free Performance. Once the driver applies power, the valve automatically adjusts for maximum exhaust flow, delivering on demand performance and a deep, throaty drone free sound.

The valve spring within the new Dynomax VT Muffler is constructed from a corrosion and heat resistant super alloy material.

409 Stainless Steel
Straight Through Welded Design
Revolutionary Valve Technology
"Micro Finish" Blemish Free Satin Finish
2 Year Warranty
Contact Exhaust Technology.
08 8272 7500 or email: [email protected]

DynomaxVT_small.jpg

Last edited:

lmfvf2ssredlineute

Reaction score
Members Ride
vf2 ssv redline lmf ute
I cut out the mid section muffler and replaced with a H section, fitted Dynamax VT mufflers.
Sounds great, not overly loud and dead quiet in the cabin when cruising. No drone at all.

Why Choose Dynomax?
The Dynomax Valve Technology (VT) muffler is a revolutionary high flow and straight through stainless steel performance muffler that controls irritating drone while ensuring maximum performance.

Dynomas VT Mufflers feature an exclusive and precisely calibrated internal valve that redirects exhaust flow during cruising conditions, to provide Drone Free Performance. Once the driver applies power, the valve automatically adjusts for maximum exhaust flow, delivering on demand performance and a deep, throaty drone free sound.

The valve spring within the new Dynomax VT Muffler is constructed from a corrosion and heat resistant super alloy material.

409 Stainless Steel
Straight Through Welded Design
Revolutionary Valve Technology
"Micro Finish" Blemish Free Satin Finish
2 Year Warranty
Contact Exhaust Technology.
08 8272 7500 or email: [email protected]

muffler sounds good but the movable flap worries me
even being built out of corrosion free materials ,the flaps can jam up
any one that had a hemi or slant six with the exhaust flap manifold ,knows these all jammed shut over time , even with corrosion free brass shafts .
its the carbon that clogs up the moving parts over time
i will check them out though , maybe just keep it jammed open.
it would be nice to make my red line a just bit louder cheers

HemiMagic

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV REDLINE, CL Charger, VK Charger, Motorsport
muffler sounds good but the movable flap worries me
even being built out of corrosion free materials ,the flaps can jam up
any one that had a hemi or slant six with the exhaust flap manifold ,knows these all jammed shut over time , even with corrosion free brass shafts .
its the carbon that clogs up the moving parts over time
i will check them out though , maybe just keep it jammed open.
it would be nice to make my red line a just bit louder cheers

34,000 Kilometres so far and no problems.

KT11H

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SSV Redline Ute
My VF1 SSV ute was really quiet inside the cabin, could hardly hear any exhaust noise from the V8, the VF2 SSVR ute has much better "sound track" inside, the "mechanical sound tube" probably helps but still not as good as in a sedan. Guess the "tube" is there in the VF2 for a reason to enhance the noise from the exhaust with the bimodal box.