Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Quiet Bimodel mufflers on VF1, ... wheres the noise?

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
My VF1 SSV ute was really quiet inside the cabin, could hardly hear any exhaust noise from the V8, the VF2 SSVR ute has much better "sound track" inside, the "mechanical sound tube" probably helps but still not as good as in a sedan. Guess the "tube" is there in the VF2 for a reason to enhance the noise from the exhaust with the bimodal box.

Doesn't the "sound tube" enhance intake noise rather than exhaust noise ?

lmfvf2ssredlineute

Reaction score
Members Ride
vf2 ssv redline lmf ute
yes if you stomp on it and put load on the motor you get the sound like secondaries opening on a holley four barrel
its just a tube from the intake tapped into the cabin to amplify the induction noise

KT11H

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SSV Redline Ute
Doesn't the "sound tube" enhance intake noise rather than exhaust noise ?

You are quite right "VS 5.0". The mechanical sound enhancer induction system in the Aural Stimulation Program piping bay noise into cabin is located behind the filter box where the pressure pulses from the engine can be felt. Those pulses are fed into a diaphragm with taut "drum skin" to amplify the sound, the tube is run through a hole into the cabin. This is one of the 3 pronged solution for the Aural Stimulation Program with the bimodal exhaust system "Baillie Tip" and the Detonation in the exhaust system. Minute sprays of fuel into the exhaust system produce detonation to give the snaps, crackles and pops.

By just fitting the bimodal box isn't enough to pass the 75 decibel drive past test.

KT11H

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SSV Redline Ute
What does this comment refer too?

Just quoting Holden vehicle chief engineer Mr. Andrew Holmes' saying " V8 Commodore passes the 75 decibel drive past test". Apparently according to NSW EPA, vehicle built after 1983 should not exceed noise level of 90 decibels...Vehicles reported to EPA as being excessively noisy may be issued with a Vehicle Inspection Notice. Put it this way, an average vacuum cleaner produces 75 decibel of noise...

cashie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS-V
Just quoting Holden vehicle chief engineer Mr. Andrew Holmes' saying " V8 Commodore passes the 75 decibel drive past test". Apparently according to NSW EPA, vehicle built after 1983 should not exceed noise level of 90 decibels...Vehicles reported to EPA as being excessively noisy may be issued with a Vehicle Inspection Notice. Put it this way, an average vacuum cleaner produces 75 decibel of noise...
Yes, agreed.

cashie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS-V
I just fitted my VF2 BiModal mufflers last night and I agree with the op, they are quieter than I was expecting. Bit of a burble on start and at a few rev ranges, I’ll trial them for a bit and see how they go. I might need to replace the centre section but I’ll need one with rear flanges to suit the mufflers I guess.

Zeke Topanaga

Reaction score
Members Ride
HX Sandman p van 308 4speed
You are quite right "VS 5.0". The mechanical sound enhancer induction system in the Aural Stimulation Program piping bay noise into cabin is located behind the filter box where the pressure pulses from the engine can be felt. Those pulses are fed into a diaphragm with taut "drum skin" to amplify the sound, the tube is run through a hole into the cabin. This is one of the 3 pronged solution for the Aural Stimulation Program with the bimodal exhaust system "Baillie Tip" and the Detonation in the exhaust system. Minute sprays of fuel into the exhaust system produce detonation to give the snaps, crackles and pops.

By just fitting the bimodal box isn't enough to pass the 75 decibel drive past test.
Really someone would want a exhaust that crackles and pops when backing off, one dude goes past my place with all that crap, I was thinking he had a air leak in the intake manifold.

KT11H

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SSV Redline Ute
Really someone would want a exhaust that crackles and pops when backing off, one dude goes past my place with all that crap, I was thinking he had a air leak in the intake manifold.

Ha.Ha..Guess those money Holden spent on the Aural Stimulation Program are wasted on you "Zeke T". Personally I quite like the "crackles and pops" when starting the engine and can't really hear it on the go.

Zeke Topanaga

Reaction score
Members Ride
HX Sandman p van 308 4speed
Ha.Ha..Guess those money Holden spent on the Aural Stimulation Program are wasted on you "Zeke T". Personally I quite like the "crackles and pops" when starting the engine and can't really hear it on the go.
Yep, but my stock VY SS was just right noise for me, I don't want to hear it because I do long drives and 100km to work and 100km back. just farting about I know it can be good to hear a nice V8 but popping and farting crap is not my cup of tea, maybe a bit backing of from 7000RPM or so when you have been flat to the boards but not around town driving plodding about, f that but I am 63 years old.