Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Anthony121

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline MY17 & VF Director
Is that not why you rotate front to rear when edge wear occurs? I'll leave you to decide. But appreciate the input. I'm a trade technician and auto trade tutor by the way.

Maybe the owners of the Redline are unable to do the wheel swaps from front to rear.

Justin Thomas

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V 6.0
Maybe the owners of the Redline are unable to do the wheel swaps from front to rear.
Fair call mate, another tick for the Calais V 8 right there for me...lol. I guess you could flip tyres on rims but realistically who's going to that effort to prevent edge wear.

Justin Thomas

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V 6.0
Not on staggered directionals ie redline..
Removing tyres from rims and swapping sides allows you to swap tyre shoulder wear on directional tyres. Only exception is it does not work with asymmetric tyres that have inner and outer labeled on the sidewall. But if you are getting this much shoulder wear that you need to flip tyres on rims (side to side) then either pressures are to low or your car maybe lowered without camber kits, wearing inside edge on rears esspecially common.

It's not that uncommon in industry to flip tyres on rims so they continue to run the the same direction on the opersite side of car to gain tyre life.

tml678

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 HSV30 Senator, 2002 Corolla..
It's not that uncommon in industry to flip tyres on rims

Of course, I misread your post and thought you meant swapping rim and tyre to the other side of the car without flipping...Too early and no coffee yet..

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Is that not why you rotate front to rear when edge wear occurs? I'll leave you to decide. But appreciate the input. I'm a trade technician and auto trade tutor by the way.

Yes, that's why you swap front to rear where possible...But the edge wear is still there and the associated noise, until the rears wear flat.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Removing tyres from rims and swapping sides allows you to swap tyre shoulder wear on directional tyres. Only exception is it does not work with asymmetric tyres that have inner and outer labeled on the sidewall. But if you are getting this much shoulder wear that you need to flip tyres on rims (side to side) then either pressures are to low or your car maybe lowered without camber kits, wearing inside edge on rears esspecially common.

It's not that uncommon in industry to flip tyres on rims so they continue to run the the same direction on the opersite side of car to gain tyre life.

How is swapping them side to side, flipping them or turning them inside out on the front going to change where the shoulder wear is? The fronts generally wear on both shoulders, not one as you are suggesting, hence why regular rotations are recommended.

It is only common in the industry (which I am part of) to flip tyres when only one edge is wearing...It is done with directional and normal treaded tyres...Can't be done with assemetrical tyres